17 February 2020, 18:38
Four members of banned pseudo-religious group convicted in Orenburg Region
Orenburg, February 17, Interfax - Orenburg's Leninsky District Court delivered a guilty verdict to four members of the banned pseudo-religious group Elle Ayat at a session on Monday, the court press service told reporters.
Depending on their role and degree of involvement in the sect, the actions of sect members were classified under the charge of creating a religious or non-governmental association, the activity of which involves violence against people or other harm to their health.
"The court sentenced one female defendant to two years in a penal colony with deprivation of the right to engage in activity related to health diagnosis and treatment of people for two years and six months," the statement said.
Three other defendants were relieved of any punishment "due to the expiration of the statutes of limitation of bringing them to criminal liability," it said.
As previously reported, citing investigators, Elle Ayat, which is banned in certain regions in Russia and Kazakhstan, has operated in the Orenburg Region since 2006.
Between May 2016 and August 2017, four Orenburg residents, who were members of the sect, set up centers, which propagated and professed "a harmful faith under the guise of so-called 'healing' of physical pain and psychological disorders," the Orenburg regional branch of the Russian Investigative Committee said.
At these centers, they carried out rites and held public seminars, at which "intentional destructive psychological pressure" was put on visitors.
This caused development of a mental disorder in one of the sect members, while another refused necessary medical treatment for "healing" via methods exercised by the sect that harmed his health.
Investigators said that followers of the sect held seminars twice a month, which were attended by between 50 and 100 people at the Orenburg State University and several other organizations.
Investigators filed petitions to the chiefs of these organizations in this regard.
- Russian prosecutors seeking to shut down Church of Last Testament 25 September 2020, 17:34
- Patriarch awards Lavrov the church order of Glory and Honor 23 September 2020, 18:35
- Followers of Church of the Last Testament gave part of their income to sect every month - source 23 September 2020, 18:29
- Two followers in Vissarion's community developed mental disorders - source 23 September 2020, 18:18
- Court arrests 3 leaders of Krasnoyarsk Church of the Last Testament 23 September 2020, 13:07
- Putin bestows Order for Merit to Fatherland, 1st degree on oldest ruling bishop of Russian Orthodox Church 22 September 2020, 17:38
- Berel Lazar invited to Bahrain 22 September 2020, 13:18
- Russian Church wishes Depardieu to stop on Orthodoxy in his spiritual search 21 September 2020, 15:39
- Forty percent of Russia support Lenin reburial, 1 out of every 5 say his body should stay in Mausoleum - poll 18 September 2020, 20:44
- FJCR head views Hasidic pilgrims attempting to enter Ukraine as 'violence against common sense' 18 September 2020, 18:31
- Zelensky's Rosh Hashanah greeting expresses hope for return to normal rhythm of life next year 18 September 2020, 18:26
- No Hasidic pilgrims left on Belarusian-Ukrainian border 18 September 2020, 18:23
- The FJCR calls a huge breakthrough recognition of Israel in the Arab Emirates and Bahrain 18 September 2020, 16:46
- Case opened against 2 Baltic Fleet servicemen who washed shoes in holy spring in Orthodox chapel 18 September 2020, 16:32
- Hasidic pilgrims initially heading to Uman begin leaving Belarusian-Ukrainian border 18 September 2020, 12:15
- Putin notes Russian Jewish community's role in countering Covid-19, in strengthening peace and accord 18 September 2020, 11:17
- Some 1,000 Hasidic pilgrims expecting permission to enter Ukraine from Belarus 17 September 2020, 15:30
- Minsk accuses Kiev of empty rhetoric, urges it to respect rights of Hasidic pilgrims 17 September 2020, 10:39
- Kiev calls on Belarusian authorities to ensure Hasidic pilgrims adhere to quarantine regulations 16 September 2020, 20:27
- Ukraine urges Belarus to stop raising tensions on border, not to make false statements to Hasidic pilgrims (updated) 16 September 2020, 17:18
- Ukraine closes checkpoint on border with Belarus near which Hasidic pilgrims gathering 16 September 2020, 15:35
- Ukraine unable to let in additional numbers of Hasidic pilgrims due to current situation - Foreign Ministry 16 September 2020, 10:45
- Minsk seeks to agree with Ukraine on green corridor for Hasidic pilgrims 16 September 2020, 10:43
- Pope of Rome to consider possibility of visiting Belarus 16 September 2020, 10:42
- Vatican insists on Archbishop Kondrusiewicz's return to Belarus 16 September 2020, 10:40
- Tents set up for Hasidic pilgrims gathering on Belarus' border with Ukraine 15 September 2020, 20:00
- Archbishop Kondrusiewicz deprived of Belarusian passport, not citizenship 15 September 2020, 18:45
- Ukraine asks Belarus not to allow Hasidic pilgrims gathering at border to cross it 15 September 2020, 18:20
- Man brought down from roof of Alexander Nevsky Monastery in St. Petersburg 14 September 2020, 19:02
- Man on roof of St. Petersburg's Alexander Nevsky Monastery for over ten hours refused to come down 14 September 2020, 15:23