14 February 2020, 15:08
Pan-Orthodox meeting on 'Ukrainian issue' to be held in Amman on Feb 26 (updated)
Moscow, February 14, Interfax - A meeting between the heads and representatives of the Orthodox churches to discuss the situation involving the creation of the new church of Ukraine (OCU) will be held in Amman on February 26, Archpriest Igor Yakimchuk, Secretary of the Moscow Patriarchate Department for External Church Relations for inter-Orthodox Relations, told Interfax.
When asked who will attend this meeting, the priest said "there is currently no full information."
The Russian Orthodox Church earlier said Patriarch Kirill was ready to attend the meeting in Jordan. It was reported on Friday that Serbian Patriarch Irinej would attend and that the Romanian and Polish Orthodox Churches would send their delegates to the meeting in Jordan.
The proposal to hold a meeting of the local Churches in Amman was made by Patriarch Theophilus of Jerusalem in Moscow on November 21, 2019.
While welcoming this initiative, the Russian Orthodox Church, at the same time, said that "many efforts and more than one meeting may be needed to achieve visible results," Archpriest Nikolay Balashov, Deputy Head of the Synodal Department for External Church Relations, recently told Interfax.
The Orthodox Church of Ukraine was created in December 2018 by the Constantinople Patriarchate with support from then-administration of Ukraine. None of the local Orthodox churches except for Constantinople recognized it for many months. However, some bishops of the Greek Church and the Alexandria Patriarchate, which cares for the Orthodox communities of Africa, recognized it last fall.
- Three religious extremists detained in Kazan 20 February 2020, 18:30
- Putin calls to halt any religious discord 20 February 2020, 13:25
- All Russian Orthodox Church parishes in Southeast Asia to pray for riddance of coronavirus 19 February 2020, 18:41
- Court arrests Moscow church attacker 18 February 2020, 19:27
- Investigators file for arrest of suspected assailant of Moscow churchgoers 18 February 2020, 12:18
- Man who attacked people in Moscow church says didn't plan crime, 'got up on wrong side of bed' 17 February 2020, 22:06
- Four members of banned pseudo-religious group convicted in Orenburg Region 17 February 2020, 18:38
- Georgian Church decides not to take part in pan-Orthodox meeting in Jordan 17 February 2020, 18:33
- Romanian Church to agree with granting of tomos to Orthodox Church in Ukraine, provided that Constantinople and Moscow reach consensus - media (updated) 14 February 2020, 21:11
- Karekin II grateful to Syria for recognizing Armenian genocide 14 February 2020, 18:08
- Pan-Orthodox meeting on 'Ukrainian issue' to be held in Amman on Feb 26 (updated) 14 February 2020, 15:08
- No same-sex marriage to be legitimized in Russia as long as I am president - Putin (updated) 13 February 2020, 17:31
- Orthodox leaders to discuss 'Ukrainian issue' in Amman in late Feb (updated) 12 February 2020, 21:28
- CPRF doesn't mind mentioning God in Russian constitution 11 February 2020, 18:30
- Criminal case opened in Transbaikal Territory after searches of residences of suspected Jehovah's Witnesses 10 February 2020, 19:57
- A woman could head the Russian Church synodal department 10 February 2020, 12:34
- Russian Church proposes to designate the special role of Russians in Constitution 10 February 2020, 12:15
- Zelensky invites Pope to visit Ukraine 10 February 2020, 11:58
- Zelensky asks Pope to help with release of Ukrainians in custody in Russia, Donbass 10 February 2020, 11:55
- Alexander Metochion in Jerusalem working as usual, has no info on property handover 05 February 2020, 21:25
- Yakut shaman complains to ECHR 05 February 2020, 18:09
- OCU terminates Filaret's membership in Holy Synod 05 February 2020, 12:27
- Russian Orthodox Church could discontinue practice of blessing WMDs 04 February 2020, 21:05
- Enshrining 'traditional marriage' in constitution at bottom of working group's agenda 04 February 2020, 19:14
- Krasheninnikov against enshrining family, God in constitution 04 February 2020, 18:58
- Pompeo praises Uzbekistan for progress in upholding religious freedom 03 February 2020, 19:17
- Marriage, not family should be defined as union between man and woman in Russian Constitution - Russian Orthodox Church 03 February 2020, 18:04
- Working group to discuss appropriateness of mentioning God in Constitution – Kremlin 03 February 2020, 13:57
- Patriarch Kirill proposes mentioning God in Constitution 02 February 2020, 19:02
- Orthodox society active at Alexander Metochion in Jerusalem still has no info on property transfer to Russia 31 January 2020, 15:14