05 February 2020, 18:09
Yakut shaman complains to ECHR
Yakutsk, February 5, Interfax - Yakut shaman Alexander Gabyshev has sent a claim to the European Court of Human Rights, the coordinator of the organization Pravozashchita Otkrytki, Alexey Pryanishnikov, said.
"Gabyshev has filed a complaint about a violation of his rights when he and his two supporters were illegally detained on December 10," Pryanishnikov told Interfax.
Gabyshev's detained associates, Kirill Mukhtarulin and Alexey Brylev, have also filed claims with the ECHR regarding their illegal detention.
Gabyshev, who calls himself a shaman, began his 8,000-kilometer journey to Moscow in March 2019, in order to "drive Putin away" and "restore the people's power." The trek was supposed to last two years. He covered a distance of roughly 3,000 kilometers after beginning his journey. Police officers detained Gabyshev on the Baikal federal motorway in Buryatia in the early hours of September 19.
It was later reported that a criminal case had been opened against him on counts of public calls for extremism. According to case materials seen by Interfax, investigators believe that between March 6 and May 22, "Gabyshev personally exhorted a group of people in an unidentified location to carry out extremist activities."
Pravozashchita Otkrytki said on October 3 that Gabyshev had been found to be insane.
It was reported on December 8 that Gabyshev had begun another journey to Moscow. He and two of his supporters were detained on December 10.
On January 12, a video address in which the shaman announced his plans to go on a third journey to Moscow in March was published on Gabyshev's YouTube channel.
In late January, the police arrested three associates of Gabyshev, who were staying at his place of residence, for three days for resisting the authorities.
- Three religious extremists detained in Kazan 20 February 2020, 18:30
- Putin calls to halt any religious discord 20 February 2020, 13:25
- All Russian Orthodox Church parishes in Southeast Asia to pray for riddance of coronavirus 19 February 2020, 18:41
- Court arrests Moscow church attacker 18 February 2020, 19:27
- Investigators file for arrest of suspected assailant of Moscow churchgoers 18 February 2020, 12:18
- Man who attacked people in Moscow church says didn't plan crime, 'got up on wrong side of bed' 17 February 2020, 22:06
- Four members of banned pseudo-religious group convicted in Orenburg Region 17 February 2020, 18:38
- Georgian Church decides not to take part in pan-Orthodox meeting in Jordan 17 February 2020, 18:33
- Romanian Church to agree with granting of tomos to Orthodox Church in Ukraine, provided that Constantinople and Moscow reach consensus - media (updated) 14 February 2020, 21:11
- Karekin II grateful to Syria for recognizing Armenian genocide 14 February 2020, 18:08
- Pan-Orthodox meeting on 'Ukrainian issue' to be held in Amman on Feb 26 (updated) 14 February 2020, 15:08
- No same-sex marriage to be legitimized in Russia as long as I am president - Putin (updated) 13 February 2020, 17:31
- Orthodox leaders to discuss 'Ukrainian issue' in Amman in late Feb (updated) 12 February 2020, 21:28
- CPRF doesn't mind mentioning God in Russian constitution 11 February 2020, 18:30
- Criminal case opened in Transbaikal Territory after searches of residences of suspected Jehovah's Witnesses 10 February 2020, 19:57
- A woman could head the Russian Church synodal department 10 February 2020, 12:34
- Russian Church proposes to designate the special role of Russians in Constitution 10 February 2020, 12:15
- Zelensky invites Pope to visit Ukraine 10 February 2020, 11:58
- Zelensky asks Pope to help with release of Ukrainians in custody in Russia, Donbass 10 February 2020, 11:55
- Alexander Metochion in Jerusalem working as usual, has no info on property handover 05 February 2020, 21:25
- Yakut shaman complains to ECHR 05 February 2020, 18:09
- OCU terminates Filaret's membership in Holy Synod 05 February 2020, 12:27
- Russian Orthodox Church could discontinue practice of blessing WMDs 04 February 2020, 21:05
- Enshrining 'traditional marriage' in constitution at bottom of working group's agenda 04 February 2020, 19:14
- Krasheninnikov against enshrining family, God in constitution 04 February 2020, 18:58
- Pompeo praises Uzbekistan for progress in upholding religious freedom 03 February 2020, 19:17
- Marriage, not family should be defined as union between man and woman in Russian Constitution - Russian Orthodox Church 03 February 2020, 18:04
- Working group to discuss appropriateness of mentioning God in Constitution – Kremlin 03 February 2020, 13:57
- Patriarch Kirill proposes mentioning God in Constitution 02 February 2020, 19:02
- Orthodox society active at Alexander Metochion in Jerusalem still has no info on property transfer to Russia 31 January 2020, 15:14