04 February 2020, 21:05
Russian Orthodox Church could discontinue practice of blessing WMDs
Moscow, February 4, Interfax - The inter-council presence of the Russian Orthodox Church (ROC) has drafted a document proposing that the church no longer bless certain types of weapons.
"The blessing of military weapons is not reflected in the traditions of the Orthodox Church, nor is it consistent with the Rite itself, and thus should be excluded from the pastoral practice of using this rite for the 'consecration' of any variety of weapon, including indiscriminate weapons and weapons of mass destruction [WMDs], whose use may result in an uncertain number of deaths," the draft, published on the ROC website, said.
At the same time, it is appropriate to bless ground, water, and air military transport vehicles, as this concerns saving soldiers' lives, not consecrating cannons, projectiles, or bombs, it said.
The rite dates back to a 12th-century Russian tradition of "girdling" a young prince with a sword as a token of his readiness for military service, as well as his readiness to defend his homeland. In those days, princes and warriors had their personal cold weapons blessed by the church as a status symbol and a sign of their readiness to serve.
Unlike the consecration of WMDs, praying for soldiers is an established religious practice performed both at daily services and on special occasions, during conflict, the draft document said. Furthermore, "it has been a church tradition to bless soldiers for military service," it said.
The draft, entitled "On blessing Orthodox Christians for military duty," will now be sent to the ROC dioceses for feedback. Anyone can participate in the debate. The deadline for feedback is June 1.
The inter-council presence is a consultative body which assists ROC leadership with decision-making on the most important issues concerning activities inside and outside the Church.
- Three religious extremists detained in Kazan 20 February 2020, 18:30
- Putin calls to halt any religious discord 20 February 2020, 13:25
- All Russian Orthodox Church parishes in Southeast Asia to pray for riddance of coronavirus 19 February 2020, 18:41
- Court arrests Moscow church attacker 18 February 2020, 19:27
- Investigators file for arrest of suspected assailant of Moscow churchgoers 18 February 2020, 12:18
- Man who attacked people in Moscow church says didn't plan crime, 'got up on wrong side of bed' 17 February 2020, 22:06
- Four members of banned pseudo-religious group convicted in Orenburg Region 17 February 2020, 18:38
- Georgian Church decides not to take part in pan-Orthodox meeting in Jordan 17 February 2020, 18:33
- Romanian Church to agree with granting of tomos to Orthodox Church in Ukraine, provided that Constantinople and Moscow reach consensus - media (updated) 14 February 2020, 21:11
- Karekin II grateful to Syria for recognizing Armenian genocide 14 February 2020, 18:08
- Pan-Orthodox meeting on 'Ukrainian issue' to be held in Amman on Feb 26 (updated) 14 February 2020, 15:08
- No same-sex marriage to be legitimized in Russia as long as I am president - Putin (updated) 13 February 2020, 17:31
- Orthodox leaders to discuss 'Ukrainian issue' in Amman in late Feb (updated) 12 February 2020, 21:28
- CPRF doesn't mind mentioning God in Russian constitution 11 February 2020, 18:30
- Criminal case opened in Transbaikal Territory after searches of residences of suspected Jehovah's Witnesses 10 February 2020, 19:57
- A woman could head the Russian Church synodal department 10 February 2020, 12:34
- Russian Church proposes to designate the special role of Russians in Constitution 10 February 2020, 12:15
- Zelensky invites Pope to visit Ukraine 10 February 2020, 11:58
- Zelensky asks Pope to help with release of Ukrainians in custody in Russia, Donbass 10 February 2020, 11:55
- Alexander Metochion in Jerusalem working as usual, has no info on property handover 05 February 2020, 21:25
- Yakut shaman complains to ECHR 05 February 2020, 18:09
- OCU terminates Filaret's membership in Holy Synod 05 February 2020, 12:27
- Russian Orthodox Church could discontinue practice of blessing WMDs 04 February 2020, 21:05
- Enshrining 'traditional marriage' in constitution at bottom of working group's agenda 04 February 2020, 19:14
- Krasheninnikov against enshrining family, God in constitution 04 February 2020, 18:58
- Pompeo praises Uzbekistan for progress in upholding religious freedom 03 February 2020, 19:17
- Marriage, not family should be defined as union between man and woman in Russian Constitution - Russian Orthodox Church 03 February 2020, 18:04
- Working group to discuss appropriateness of mentioning God in Constitution – Kremlin 03 February 2020, 13:57
- Patriarch Kirill proposes mentioning God in Constitution 02 February 2020, 19:02
- Orthodox society active at Alexander Metochion in Jerusalem still has no info on property transfer to Russia 31 January 2020, 15:14