27 January 2020, 12:03
Court bans leader of Murmansk Jehovah's Witnesses from talking to fellow members, using Internet
Murmansk, January 27, Interfax - The Murmansk Oktyabrsky District Court has imposed restrictions on the leader of the Jehovah's Witnesses - Tsentralnaya, Murmansk (the Jehovah's Witnesses is a religious organization which is banned in Russia), the court press service said.
The Murmansk resident is implicated in a criminal case involving organization of the activities of a religious organization on which there is a court ruling in legal force for its closure due to extremist activities.
The court said the leader of Murmansk's Jehovah's Witnesses branch disagrees with the investigators and insists that "the Supreme Court ruling prohibits a specific organization, not religious services."
The court has banned the man from taking specific actions. The court said the man is prohibited from talking to specific persons and using communication devices and the Internet.
The Polyarny District Court of the Murmansk region earlier convicted two local residents who continued their activities after the court had ruled that the extremist association the Jehovah's Witnesses be closed. They were fined 350,000 rubles and 300,000 rubles.
According to earlier reports, the head of the prohibited local religious organization Jehovah's Witnesses - Tsentralnaya, Murmansk was detained in Murmansk on January 22, 2020.
The Investigative Committee said the 40-year-old man had been detained in connection with an investigation into an earlier opened criminal case involving the organization of the activities of a religious organization on which there is a court ruling in legal force for its closure due to extremist activities.
In December 2019, officials from the Investigative Committee and Federal Security Service directorates stopped the activities of the Jehovah's Witnesses in Murmansk.
Searches were conducted simultaneously at five addresses in Murmansk "to seize documents and objects relevant to the criminal case, as well as to identify persons involved in illegal activities," the Investigative Committee said.
- Three religious extremists detained in Kazan 20 February 2020, 18:30
- Putin calls to halt any religious discord 20 February 2020, 13:25
- All Russian Orthodox Church parishes in Southeast Asia to pray for riddance of coronavirus 19 February 2020, 18:41
- Court arrests Moscow church attacker 18 February 2020, 19:27
- Investigators file for arrest of suspected assailant of Moscow churchgoers 18 February 2020, 12:18
- Man who attacked people in Moscow church says didn't plan crime, 'got up on wrong side of bed' 17 February 2020, 22:06
- Four members of banned pseudo-religious group convicted in Orenburg Region 17 February 2020, 18:38
- Georgian Church decides not to take part in pan-Orthodox meeting in Jordan 17 February 2020, 18:33
- Romanian Church to agree with granting of tomos to Orthodox Church in Ukraine, provided that Constantinople and Moscow reach consensus - media (updated) 14 February 2020, 21:11
- Karekin II grateful to Syria for recognizing Armenian genocide 14 February 2020, 18:08
- Pan-Orthodox meeting on 'Ukrainian issue' to be held in Amman on Feb 26 (updated) 14 February 2020, 15:08
- No same-sex marriage to be legitimized in Russia as long as I am president - Putin (updated) 13 February 2020, 17:31
- Orthodox leaders to discuss 'Ukrainian issue' in Amman in late Feb (updated) 12 February 2020, 21:28
- CPRF doesn't mind mentioning God in Russian constitution 11 February 2020, 18:30
- Criminal case opened in Transbaikal Territory after searches of residences of suspected Jehovah's Witnesses 10 February 2020, 19:57
- A woman could head the Russian Church synodal department 10 February 2020, 12:34
- Russian Church proposes to designate the special role of Russians in Constitution 10 February 2020, 12:15
- Zelensky invites Pope to visit Ukraine 10 February 2020, 11:58
- Zelensky asks Pope to help with release of Ukrainians in custody in Russia, Donbass 10 February 2020, 11:55
- Alexander Metochion in Jerusalem working as usual, has no info on property handover 05 February 2020, 21:25
- Yakut shaman complains to ECHR 05 February 2020, 18:09
- OCU terminates Filaret's membership in Holy Synod 05 February 2020, 12:27
- Russian Orthodox Church could discontinue practice of blessing WMDs 04 February 2020, 21:05
- Enshrining 'traditional marriage' in constitution at bottom of working group's agenda 04 February 2020, 19:14
- Krasheninnikov against enshrining family, God in constitution 04 February 2020, 18:58
- Pompeo praises Uzbekistan for progress in upholding religious freedom 03 February 2020, 19:17
- Marriage, not family should be defined as union between man and woman in Russian Constitution - Russian Orthodox Church 03 February 2020, 18:04
- Working group to discuss appropriateness of mentioning God in Constitution – Kremlin 03 February 2020, 13:57
- Patriarch Kirill proposes mentioning God in Constitution 02 February 2020, 19:02
- Orthodox society active at Alexander Metochion in Jerusalem still has no info on property transfer to Russia 31 January 2020, 15:14