22 January 2020, 17:53
Putin to meet with Patriarch Theophilos and mother of Israeli woman convicted in Russia
Moscow, January 22, Interfax - Russian President Vladimir Putin will meet with the mother of an Israeli woman convicted in Russia during his visit to Israel to attend events commemorating the victims of the Holocaust, presidential aide Yury Ushakov said.
"After separate talks with [Israeli Prime Minister Benjamin] Netanyahu, he and our president will together meet with Patriarch Theophilos III of Jerusalem and All Palestine and with Jaffa Issachar, the mother of Israeli-U.S. citizen Naama Issachar," Ushakov told journalists at a briefing.
Patriarch Theophilos handed the mother's letter to Putin at their meeting in Moscow last November, Ushakov said. Additionally, Netanyahu and Israeli President Reuven Rivlin have repeatedly called for the release of the young woman.
"The humanitarian aspect of this issue will be considered at meetings that will be held by our president, the prime minister of Israel, the mother of this young woman, and Patriarch Theophilos," Ushakov said.
Issachar, 25, who has United States and Israeli citizenship, was detained in the transit zone of Moscow's Sheremetyevo Airport in April 2019. She was changing planes in Moscow on her way from Delhi to Tel Aviv when security services detected nine grams of hashish in her checked baggage.
The woman denied involvement in drug smuggling and possession. She told the Moscow Regional Court that she had not bought the hashish and was unaware of having the drug in her bag. She also said that her earlier "admission" of drug possession was the result of a poor translation and that in fact she only agreed about the discovery of the drug in her backpack.
On October 11, 2019, the Moscow region's Khimki City Court found Issachar guilty of smuggling a considerable quantity of drugs and illegal possession of narcotic drugs and sentenced her to seven years and six months of imprisonment at a medium-security facility. On December 19, the ruling was upheld by Moscow regional court.
Last Tuesday, the Israeli media reported that Israel and Russia had agreed on the core issues relating to a possible pardon of Issachar by Russia and were now working through details.
- Russian prosecutors seeking to shut down Church of Last Testament 25 September 2020, 17:34
- Patriarch awards Lavrov the church order of Glory and Honor 23 September 2020, 18:35
- Followers of Church of the Last Testament gave part of their income to sect every month - source 23 September 2020, 18:29
- Two followers in Vissarion's community developed mental disorders - source 23 September 2020, 18:18
- Court arrests 3 leaders of Krasnoyarsk Church of the Last Testament 23 September 2020, 13:07
- Putin bestows Order for Merit to Fatherland, 1st degree on oldest ruling bishop of Russian Orthodox Church 22 September 2020, 17:38
- Berel Lazar invited to Bahrain 22 September 2020, 13:18
- Russian Church wishes Depardieu to stop on Orthodoxy in his spiritual search 21 September 2020, 15:39
- Forty percent of Russia support Lenin reburial, 1 out of every 5 say his body should stay in Mausoleum - poll 18 September 2020, 20:44
- FJCR head views Hasidic pilgrims attempting to enter Ukraine as 'violence against common sense' 18 September 2020, 18:31
- Zelensky's Rosh Hashanah greeting expresses hope for return to normal rhythm of life next year 18 September 2020, 18:26
- No Hasidic pilgrims left on Belarusian-Ukrainian border 18 September 2020, 18:23
- The FJCR calls a huge breakthrough recognition of Israel in the Arab Emirates and Bahrain 18 September 2020, 16:46
- Case opened against 2 Baltic Fleet servicemen who washed shoes in holy spring in Orthodox chapel 18 September 2020, 16:32
- Hasidic pilgrims initially heading to Uman begin leaving Belarusian-Ukrainian border 18 September 2020, 12:15
- Putin notes Russian Jewish community's role in countering Covid-19, in strengthening peace and accord 18 September 2020, 11:17
- Some 1,000 Hasidic pilgrims expecting permission to enter Ukraine from Belarus 17 September 2020, 15:30
- Minsk accuses Kiev of empty rhetoric, urges it to respect rights of Hasidic pilgrims 17 September 2020, 10:39
- Kiev calls on Belarusian authorities to ensure Hasidic pilgrims adhere to quarantine regulations 16 September 2020, 20:27
- Ukraine urges Belarus to stop raising tensions on border, not to make false statements to Hasidic pilgrims (updated) 16 September 2020, 17:18
- Ukraine closes checkpoint on border with Belarus near which Hasidic pilgrims gathering 16 September 2020, 15:35
- Ukraine unable to let in additional numbers of Hasidic pilgrims due to current situation - Foreign Ministry 16 September 2020, 10:45
- Minsk seeks to agree with Ukraine on green corridor for Hasidic pilgrims 16 September 2020, 10:43
- Pope of Rome to consider possibility of visiting Belarus 16 September 2020, 10:42
- Vatican insists on Archbishop Kondrusiewicz's return to Belarus 16 September 2020, 10:40
- Tents set up for Hasidic pilgrims gathering on Belarus' border with Ukraine 15 September 2020, 20:00
- Archbishop Kondrusiewicz deprived of Belarusian passport, not citizenship 15 September 2020, 18:45
- Ukraine asks Belarus not to allow Hasidic pilgrims gathering at border to cross it 15 September 2020, 18:20
- Man brought down from roof of Alexander Nevsky Monastery in St. Petersburg 14 September 2020, 19:02
- Man on roof of St. Petersburg's Alexander Nevsky Monastery for over ten hours refused to come down 14 September 2020, 15:23