17 January 2020, 17:59
'God Kuzya' accomplices detained in Moscow
Moscow, January 17, Interfax - Law enforcement officials in Moscow have detained adepts of the so-called 'God Kuzya' in a 15 million ruble fraud case, Russian Interior Ministry spokesperson Irina Volk told Interfax on Friday.
"Investigators from the Main Investigative Directorate of the Main Department of the Russian Interior Ministry for Moscow, in cooperation with officials from the extremist prevention center of the Russian Interior Ministry's Department for Moscow and Russian Federal Security Service officials, have detained members of a destructive group," Volk said.
The preliminary investigation into the case, which involves fraud, as well as the creation of a non-commercial organization infringing on citizens' personality and rights and involvement in its activities, was completed in November 2017, she said. "Police officials have determined that the organizer of the association, who calls himself 'God Kuzya,' and his accomplices stole money from aggrieved parties by fraud under the pretext of conducting rituals and raising money for the construction of churches," Volk said.
The leader of the group and his three accomplices were found guilty of these crimes in July 2018.
Materials against seven members of the group were separated from the others, and they were placed on the federal wanted persons list.
"Law enforcement officials have now detained the suspects. According to available information, the suspects engaged in illegal activities from 2007 to 2015. In total, more than 15 million rubles were stolen from 15 aggrieved parties," Volk said.
Four people implicated in the case are under travel restrictions and obligations of good behavior. Another three have been detained.
A decision on restrictive measures for them is pending.
- Court arrests Moscow church attacker 18 February 2020, 19:27
- Investigators file for arrest of suspected assailant of Moscow churchgoers 18 February 2020, 12:18
- Man who attacked people in Moscow church says didn't plan crime, 'got up on wrong side of bed' 17 February 2020, 22:06
- Four members of banned pseudo-religious group convicted in Orenburg Region 17 February 2020, 18:38
- Georgian Church decides not to take part in pan-Orthodox meeting in Jordan 17 February 2020, 18:33
- Romanian Church to agree with granting of tomos to Orthodox Church in Ukraine, provided that Constantinople and Moscow reach consensus - media (updated) 14 February 2020, 21:11
- Karekin II grateful to Syria for recognizing Armenian genocide 14 February 2020, 18:08
- Pan-Orthodox meeting on 'Ukrainian issue' to be held in Amman on Feb 26 (updated) 14 February 2020, 15:08
- No same-sex marriage to be legitimized in Russia as long as I am president - Putin (updated) 13 February 2020, 17:31
- Orthodox leaders to discuss 'Ukrainian issue' in Amman in late Feb (updated) 12 February 2020, 21:28
- CPRF doesn't mind mentioning God in Russian constitution 11 February 2020, 18:30
- Criminal case opened in Transbaikal Territory after searches of residences of suspected Jehovah's Witnesses 10 February 2020, 19:57
- A woman could head the Russian Church synodal department 10 February 2020, 12:34
- Russian Church proposes to designate the special role of Russians in Constitution 10 February 2020, 12:15
- Zelensky invites Pope to visit Ukraine 10 February 2020, 11:58
- Zelensky asks Pope to help with release of Ukrainians in custody in Russia, Donbass 10 February 2020, 11:55
- Alexander Metochion in Jerusalem working as usual, has no info on property handover 05 February 2020, 21:25
- Yakut shaman complains to ECHR 05 February 2020, 18:09
- OCU terminates Filaret's membership in Holy Synod 05 February 2020, 12:27
- Russian Orthodox Church could discontinue practice of blessing WMDs 04 February 2020, 21:05
- Enshrining 'traditional marriage' in constitution at bottom of working group's agenda 04 February 2020, 19:14
- Krasheninnikov against enshrining family, God in constitution 04 February 2020, 18:58
- Pompeo praises Uzbekistan for progress in upholding religious freedom 03 February 2020, 19:17
- Marriage, not family should be defined as union between man and woman in Russian Constitution - Russian Orthodox Church 03 February 2020, 18:04
- Working group to discuss appropriateness of mentioning God in Constitution – Kremlin 03 February 2020, 13:57
- Patriarch Kirill proposes mentioning God in Constitution 02 February 2020, 19:02
- Orthodox society active at Alexander Metochion in Jerusalem still has no info on property transfer to Russia 31 January 2020, 15:14
- Activities of Jehovah's Witnesses stopped in Komi 31 January 2020, 15:11
- Federation of Jewish Communities of Russia doing important work preserving truth about war - Putin 29 January 2020, 14:08
- Conditions for Jewish community comfortable in Russia - Rabbi Lazar 29 January 2020, 14:07