30 December 2019, 19:14
Putin sends Christmas, New Year's greetings to European leaders
Moscow, December 30, Interfax - Russian President Vladimir Putin has sent Christmas and New Year's greetings to a number of European leaders.
In his greeting to Prime Minister Kyriakos Mitsotakis of Greece, Putin said Russia expects "to continue working together to strengthen Russian-Greek relations based on the good traditions of friendship and spiritual closeness."
Greeting King Felipe VI and Queen Letizia of Spain, the Russian leader said he hoped that "the coming year would open up new opportunities for the development of mutually beneficial cooperation between the two countries."
In his message to President Sergio Mattarella and Prime Minister Giuseppe Conte of Italy, Putin said that, "despite the difficult international situation, Russian-Italian relations continued to develop." He said he had warm recollections of their meetings in Rome and "looked forward to continuing joint work both on bilateral issues and on the international agenda."
In sending Christmas and New Year's greetings to Canadian Prime Minister Justin Trudeau and wishing him a happy birthday, Putin said he was confident that "the development of constructive, mutually respectful, bilateral cooperation in various fields is entirely in the interests of the peoples of Russia and Canada."
"In his message of greeting to Reigning Prince of Monaco Albert II, the President of Russia expressed hope that next year would be an auspicious one for Russia-Monaco relations and would open up new prospects for expanding mutually beneficial cooperation."
Addressing New Year's and Christmas greetings to Slovenian President Borut Pahor, Putin said, "Russian-Slovenian relations were based on traditions of friendship and spiritual kinship and expressed confidence that next year the joint work to develop mutually beneficial cooperation in politics, trade, the economy, culture and other areas would continue."
Sending greetings to President Sauli Niinisto of Finland, Putin mentioned their meetings in St. Petersburg and Helsinki in 2019 as ones that should help outline "ways to further promote Russian-Finnish ties in key areas." Putin also said "Russia highly valued its neighborly and mutually beneficial cooperation with Finland."
Greeting President Kolinda Grabar-Kitarovic of Croatia, Putin "noted the progressive development of Russian-Croatian cooperation and expressed confidence that the further promotion of bilateral relations fully complied with the interests of the two countries."
Sending Christmas and New Year's greetings to Serbian President Aleksandar Vucic, Putin said, "the agreements reached following the meetings in Belgrade and Sochi opened up new prospects for bilateral cooperation in many areas." The Russian leader reiterated that he was "looking forward to seeing Aleksandar Vucic at celebrations of the 75th anniversary of Victory in the Great Patriotic War."
Greeting President Milos Zeman of the Czech Republic, Putin emphasized that his "participation in the events in Moscow to mark the 75th anniversary of the Victory over the Nazis will, of course, symbolize friendship and mutual respect between the Russian and Czech nations."
In a greeting to Swedish Prime Minister Stefan Lofven, Putin said the meeting between the two in St. Petersburg "reaffirmed the significant potential of Russian-Swedish relations" and expressed his confidence that "development of constructive bilateral cooperation would be in the interests of both nations and would promote prosperity and stability in northern Europe."
- Head of Jehovah's Witnesses cell in Kirov was fined for about 6,500 USD 23 October 2020, 18:32
- Over 20 "caliphate builders" exposed in North Caucasus 23 October 2020, 12:38
- Russian Church concerned about possibility of illegal use of personal data 22 October 2020, 20:15
- Estonia to hold a referendum on marriage as a union of man and woman in spring 22 October 2020, 19:50
- Russian Archpriest Dimitry Smirnov dies 21 October 2020, 20:31
- Attackers of Hasid teens in Uman must be brought to account - Ukraine's foreign minister 20 October 2020, 10:43
- Archbishop Kondrusiewicz in Vatican, discusses his return to Belarus 20 October 2020, 10:41
- Catholics conveyed a church in the center of Spanish Granada to Moscow Patriarchate 15 October 2020, 18:29
- Head of Russian Catholics contracts coronavirus 15 October 2020, 15:18
- The first Russian doctoral thesis on Islamic theology earned 15 October 2020, 14:03
- FJCR considers Kiev's order to pray for pogrom-makers an insult of the Jewish people 15 October 2020, 13:42
- A source learned about the death of another child from a surrogate mother in St. Petersburg 15 October 2020, 12:35
- Church against exploiting Russian women as surrogate mothers by foreigners 13 October 2020, 20:01
- Patriarch Kirill calls for putting end to bloodshed in Nagorno-Karabakh 13 October 2020, 18:08
- Patriarch Kirill tests negative for coronavirus 12 October 2020, 10:14
- Baku dismisses accusations of shelling upon cathedral in Nagorno-Karabakh 09 October 2020, 18:12
- Ecological park inspired by a local bishop opened in Omsk 09 October 2020, 17:28
- Jews will celebrate the feast of Torah with restrictions due to coronavirus 09 October 2020, 17:08
- JW couple gets suspended sentences in Kostroma 09 October 2020, 17:00
- Patriarch Kirill calls pandemic the last call for humanity 09 October 2020, 16:39
- Head of Jewish organization of Nazi concentration camp and ghetto prisoners dies 09 October 2020, 10:04
- Azerbaijan renews attack on church in Shushi, Stepanakert claims 08 October 2020, 18:18
- Patriarch Kirill in quarantine after contact with coronavirus patient (updated) 08 October 2020, 18:15
- Unrecognized Karabakh head promises to rebuild cathedral destroyed in Azerbaijan's missile strike 08 October 2020, 17:35
- New Vatican ambassador to arrive in Belarus on Oct 11 08 October 2020, 17:21
- Organizer, 5 followers of Ulyanovsk Jehovah's Witnesses group get suspended prison terms 08 October 2020, 15:51
- Coronavirus restrictions re-introduced in Russian synagogues 08 October 2020, 14:42
- Islamist suspected of attempt to carry out terrorist attack in court, prosecutor's office detained in Stavropol 07 October 2020, 17:01
- Orthodox bishop of Kyrgyzstan urges citizens to pray for peace 06 October 2020, 15:40
- Many-storeyed business center in Kiev in honor of pride month will be illuminated with a rainbow flag 06 October 2020, 13:59