30 December 2019, 11:11
Georgian patriarch, cardinal from Vatican discuss challenges faced by Christian world
Tbilisi, December 30, Interfax - Catholicos-Patriarch Ilia II of All Georgia met with Cardinal Pietro Parolin, State Secretary of the Holy See, who is now on a visit to Tbilisi, on Sunday.
Ilia II and Cardinal Parolin discussed the need to preserve and deepen the relations between the two old churches, the public relations service of the Georgian Patriarchate said.
"The meeting addressed the problems and today's challenges faced by the entire Christian world," the patriarchate said.
Cardinal Parolin said in the meeting that he was passing on greetings to Ilia II from Pope Francis.
The visit is connected to several anniversary dates, the cardinal said.
Among these is the 25th anniversary of the visit to Georgia by Mother Theresa (a Catholic nun, real name Agnes Gonxha Bojaxhiu, who was canonized in 2016), and also the coming 40th anniversary of the visit by Ilia II to Rome, where he met with the Pope.
"That meeting reinforced our historical relations," he said.
The relations between the two churches are especially important amid the challenges that exist today, when "man has almost lost God in the period of secularism," the cardinal said.
Ilia II, for his part, said in the meeting that the relations between Georgia and the Vatican had lasted for many centuries.
In this regard, he said the cardinal's visit was very important and that it symbolized the continuation of these relations.
The Georgian patriarch called his relations with Pope Francis truly brotherly.
Ilia II also said there is a need to strengthen the relations between the two churches.
"We are living at a very difficult time, mankind has come close to the abyss and peered into it. So your visit is extremely important," the Georgian patriarch said.
The Georgian Patriarchate said last week that Pope Francis had invited Ilia II to visit the Vatican in 2020 to celebrate the 40th anniversary of his "historical visit" in 1980.
- Head of Jehovah's Witnesses cell in Kirov was fined for about 6,500 USD 23 October 2020, 18:32
- Over 20 "caliphate builders" exposed in North Caucasus 23 October 2020, 12:38
- Russian Church concerned about possibility of illegal use of personal data 22 October 2020, 20:15
- Estonia to hold a referendum on marriage as a union of man and woman in spring 22 October 2020, 19:50
- Russian Archpriest Dimitry Smirnov dies 21 October 2020, 20:31
- Attackers of Hasid teens in Uman must be brought to account - Ukraine's foreign minister 20 October 2020, 10:43
- Archbishop Kondrusiewicz in Vatican, discusses his return to Belarus 20 October 2020, 10:41
- Catholics conveyed a church in the center of Spanish Granada to Moscow Patriarchate 15 October 2020, 18:29
- Head of Russian Catholics contracts coronavirus 15 October 2020, 15:18
- The first Russian doctoral thesis on Islamic theology earned 15 October 2020, 14:03
- FJCR considers Kiev's order to pray for pogrom-makers an insult of the Jewish people 15 October 2020, 13:42
- A source learned about the death of another child from a surrogate mother in St. Petersburg 15 October 2020, 12:35
- Church against exploiting Russian women as surrogate mothers by foreigners 13 October 2020, 20:01
- Patriarch Kirill calls for putting end to bloodshed in Nagorno-Karabakh 13 October 2020, 18:08
- Patriarch Kirill tests negative for coronavirus 12 October 2020, 10:14
- Baku dismisses accusations of shelling upon cathedral in Nagorno-Karabakh 09 October 2020, 18:12
- Ecological park inspired by a local bishop opened in Omsk 09 October 2020, 17:28
- Jews will celebrate the feast of Torah with restrictions due to coronavirus 09 October 2020, 17:08
- JW couple gets suspended sentences in Kostroma 09 October 2020, 17:00
- Patriarch Kirill calls pandemic the last call for humanity 09 October 2020, 16:39
- Head of Jewish organization of Nazi concentration camp and ghetto prisoners dies 09 October 2020, 10:04
- Azerbaijan renews attack on church in Shushi, Stepanakert claims 08 October 2020, 18:18
- Patriarch Kirill in quarantine after contact with coronavirus patient (updated) 08 October 2020, 18:15
- Unrecognized Karabakh head promises to rebuild cathedral destroyed in Azerbaijan's missile strike 08 October 2020, 17:35
- New Vatican ambassador to arrive in Belarus on Oct 11 08 October 2020, 17:21
- Organizer, 5 followers of Ulyanovsk Jehovah's Witnesses group get suspended prison terms 08 October 2020, 15:51
- Coronavirus restrictions re-introduced in Russian synagogues 08 October 2020, 14:42
- Islamist suspected of attempt to carry out terrorist attack in court, prosecutor's office detained in Stavropol 07 October 2020, 17:01
- Orthodox bishop of Kyrgyzstan urges citizens to pray for peace 06 October 2020, 15:40
- Many-storeyed business center in Kiev in honor of pride month will be illuminated with a rainbow flag 06 October 2020, 13:59