21 November 2019, 20:50
Russian Orthodox Church welcomes Jerusalem patriarch's proposal of Church leaders' meeting to settle differences
Moscow, November 21, Interfax - The Moscow Patriarchate has backed an initiative by the Patriarch of Jerusalem, Theophilos III, to hold a meeting of local Church leaders in Amman to discuss how to preserve the pan-Orthodox unity.
"It was with gratefulness that we perceived the initiative of the Patriarch of Jerusalem, Theophilos III. Someone has to begin and invite fellow church leaders to discuss current difficulties and differences. And it is very good that such an initiative is coming from the leader of the oldest, very first Orthodox Church, which truly is the Mother of all others," deputy head of the Synodal Department for External Church Relations Archpriest Nikolay Balashov told Interfax on Thursday.
The Russian Orthodox Church is also glad that the patriarch spoke after a joint liturgy service with Patriarch Kirill of Moscow and All Russia at the Cathedral of Christ the Savior in Moscow, he said.
"The Russian Orthodox Church is ready to support all efforts aimed at developing fraternal communion and dialogue among local Orthodox Churches," the priest said.
Theophilos III voiced the proposal while receiving an award for strengthening Orthodox unity at the cathedral earlier on Thursday.
Currently the main issue on the inter-Orthodox agenda is that of the Patriarchate of Constantinople having recognized a Ukrainian non-canonical religious organization, the OCU, set up about a year ago. Later the OCU was also recognized by the leaders of the Greek Orthodox Church and the Greek Church of Alexandria.
- Russia to seek return of Alexander Metochion in Jerusalem in court - Stepashin 08 April 2020, 18:48
- The unemployed man detained in St. Petersburg for making inscription about coronavirus on a church wall 08 April 2020, 15:16
- About 80,000 Jewish families in Russia received a set of Kosher food on Pesach 08 April 2020, 14:53
- Patriach Kirill urges to consider the pandemic a chance to change for the better 08 April 2020, 11:11
- About 80 tons of matzo were delivered free for Pesach in Russia 06 April 2020, 19:35
- Four Moscow clergymen diagnosed with coronavirus, 4 suspected of having it - patriarchate 06 April 2020, 19:13
- Oldest synagogue in Russia celebrates its 140th anniversary 06 April 2020, 17:40
- Clerics hold air processions with cross against coronavirus above Volgograd and Kuzbass 06 April 2020, 15:14
- Patriarch Kirill urges believers to sturdily face all "temporary difficulties" 03 April 2020, 18:07
- Patriarch Kirill going around Moscow with icon to rid people of coronavirus 03 April 2020, 17:47
- Almost all members of the Moscow Jewish Community recovered from Covid-19 03 April 2020, 17:10
- Russian Orthodox Church considers untimely forecasts about the form of Easter celebrations 03 April 2020, 16:43
- Heads of Jewish communities around the world urge to exchange words of support on the eve of Pesach 03 April 2020, 14:00
- One more Russian Orthodox metropolitan carries out air procession with cross against coronavirus 02 April 2020, 17:34
- Head of the Byelorussian Orthodox Church to fly along the country’s borders with relics and prayers to stop coronavirus 02 April 2020, 17:32
- About 20 members of Jewish community of Russia hospitalized with coronavirus suspected 02 April 2020, 16:05
- Moscow rabbi recovers from coronavirus 01 April 2020, 17:09
- Patriarch to go around Moscow with icon of Our Lady to rid people of coronavirus 01 April 2020, 13:24
- Patriarch Kirill calls on believers to refrain from visiting churches amid coronavirus pandemic 29 March 2020, 20:09
- Opera singer Svetlana Kasyan hospitalized with coronavirus 28 March 2020, 18:10
- Patriarch Kirill prays for the end of pandemic 28 March 2020, 17:58
- The Federation of Jewish Communities of Russia will give Pesach food sets to all parishioners 28 March 2020, 17:55
- Case of leader of Aum Shinrikyo group in Russia sent to prosecutor 26 March 2020, 19:27
- Belarusian Orthodox Church doesn't plan to cancel Easter processions 26 March 2020, 16:25
- Russian Orthodox Church shows understanding of Sobyanin's advice not to attend service but says churches will stay open 26 March 2020, 15:08
- Sobyanin asks Muscovites not to visit religious sites 26 March 2020, 10:49
- Ukrainian monasteries will assign premises for Covid-19 patients 25 March 2020, 19:24
- FJCR closes all its synagogues in Russia 25 March 2020, 15:49
- Monastery south of Moscow thrown away dozens of dogs, police was told they miraculously flew away 24 March 2020, 17:40
- Lukashenko on coronavirus: If we get through until Orthodox Easter, we'll live 24 March 2020, 14:40