05 November 2019, 16:13
Sentence for leader of Tomsk Jehovah's Witnesses consistent with current Russian law - Peskov
Moscow, November 5, Interfax - The sentence handed down to the leader of the Jehovah's Witnesses in Tomsk is consistent with the current Russian legislation, Kremlin spokesman Dmitry Peskov said, adding that the Kremlin does not intend to comment on the judgment itself.
"Thus far, this complies with the existing legislation. There have been no amendments to the legislation so far, therefore, the court ruling was made on the basis of the law in effect," Peskov said when asked to comment on the six-year sentence given to the leader of Jehovah's Witnesses in Tomsk.
"We cannot and will not comment on it [the sentence]," he said.
The website of the newspaper Kommersant reported that the sentence was handed down in Tomsk to Sergey Klimov, the leader of the local branch of Jehovah's Witnesses, which is banned in Russia as an extremist organization. The Oktyabrsky District Court sentenced him to six years in a general-security penal colony.
According to the investigators, the leader of the Severskaya-Tomsk community convened meetings of his fellow believers, organized religious worship at these, and collected money under the guise of donations in April 2017-June 2018, while being aware that the Jehovah's Witnesses is banned in Russia.
Operatives terminated the regional Jehovah's Witnesses branch in the summer of 2018. A criminal case of organization of activities of a banned extremist organization was initiated against Klimov. He was placed in a pre-trial detention facility for the duration of the investigation. Klimov did not agree with the charges and refused to testify.
- Three religious extremists detained in Kazan 20 February 2020, 18:30
- Putin calls to halt any religious discord 20 February 2020, 13:25
- All Russian Orthodox Church parishes in Southeast Asia to pray for riddance of coronavirus 19 February 2020, 18:41
- Court arrests Moscow church attacker 18 February 2020, 19:27
- Investigators file for arrest of suspected assailant of Moscow churchgoers 18 February 2020, 12:18
- Man who attacked people in Moscow church says didn't plan crime, 'got up on wrong side of bed' 17 February 2020, 22:06
- Four members of banned pseudo-religious group convicted in Orenburg Region 17 February 2020, 18:38
- Georgian Church decides not to take part in pan-Orthodox meeting in Jordan 17 February 2020, 18:33
- Romanian Church to agree with granting of tomos to Orthodox Church in Ukraine, provided that Constantinople and Moscow reach consensus - media (updated) 14 February 2020, 21:11
- Karekin II grateful to Syria for recognizing Armenian genocide 14 February 2020, 18:08
- Pan-Orthodox meeting on 'Ukrainian issue' to be held in Amman on Feb 26 (updated) 14 February 2020, 15:08
- No same-sex marriage to be legitimized in Russia as long as I am president - Putin (updated) 13 February 2020, 17:31
- Orthodox leaders to discuss 'Ukrainian issue' in Amman in late Feb (updated) 12 February 2020, 21:28
- CPRF doesn't mind mentioning God in Russian constitution 11 February 2020, 18:30
- Criminal case opened in Transbaikal Territory after searches of residences of suspected Jehovah's Witnesses 10 February 2020, 19:57
- A woman could head the Russian Church synodal department 10 February 2020, 12:34
- Russian Church proposes to designate the special role of Russians in Constitution 10 February 2020, 12:15
- Zelensky invites Pope to visit Ukraine 10 February 2020, 11:58
- Zelensky asks Pope to help with release of Ukrainians in custody in Russia, Donbass 10 February 2020, 11:55
- Alexander Metochion in Jerusalem working as usual, has no info on property handover 05 February 2020, 21:25
- Yakut shaman complains to ECHR 05 February 2020, 18:09
- OCU terminates Filaret's membership in Holy Synod 05 February 2020, 12:27
- Russian Orthodox Church could discontinue practice of blessing WMDs 04 February 2020, 21:05
- Enshrining 'traditional marriage' in constitution at bottom of working group's agenda 04 February 2020, 19:14
- Krasheninnikov against enshrining family, God in constitution 04 February 2020, 18:58
- Pompeo praises Uzbekistan for progress in upholding religious freedom 03 February 2020, 19:17
- Marriage, not family should be defined as union between man and woman in Russian Constitution - Russian Orthodox Church 03 February 2020, 18:04
- Working group to discuss appropriateness of mentioning God in Constitution – Kremlin 03 February 2020, 13:57
- Patriarch Kirill proposes mentioning God in Constitution 02 February 2020, 19:02
- Orthodox society active at Alexander Metochion in Jerusalem still has no info on property transfer to Russia 31 January 2020, 15:14