30 October 2019, 12:52
Greek Orthodox Church de facto recognizes OCU, Ukrainian Orthodox Church calls it 'backstabbing'
Moscow, October 30, Interfax - Archbishop Hieronymus II of Athens and All Greece has sent a peace missive to Yepifaniy Dumenko, the head of the non-canonical new church of Ukraine (Orthodox Church of Ukraine, OCU), in which he de facto recognizes it.
The decision made by Patriarch of Constantinople Bartholomew on the creation of the OCU "brought joy to the Greek Church," he was quoted as saying by the OCU website. Archbishop Hieronymus congratulated Yepifaniy on behalf of the Church and wished him the assistance of the Holy Trinity.
The letter, which was published on Tuesday, was sent on October 21, four days after the Synod of the Moscow Patriarchate warned that it would sever communion with the Greek hierarchs who recognized "the non-canonical schismatic communities" of Ukraine.
After reading the letter from the head of the Greek Church, in which he says it recognizes the OCU, the Department for External Church Relations of the canonical Ukrainian Orthodox Church called what has happened backstabbing.
"We regret this decision, which contradicts the holy canons and the traditions of the Church, and it is also a big mistake, which harms Orthodoxy in Ukraine and pan-Orthodox unity. This decision is a knife in the back of the canonical Ukrainian Orthodox Church, which has been suffering from a church schism for all these years and continues suffering because of schismatics today, defending the canonical order in the Church," the statement said.
The authors of the document said they regret that "the interests of Greek solidarity today have essentially become a manifestation of ethnophyletism being put above the interests of all the fullness of Orthodoxy. "It is a shame that geopolitical and political factors have prevailed over the Orthodox Church in Greece, which has been subjected to external pressure," the Ukrainian Orthodox Church said.
At the same time, the authors of the statement thanked the archbishops, priests, monks, and laymen of the Greek Church who called on Archbishop Hieronymus not to recognize the OCU.
The synodal department said it regrets that by its actions to recognize the division the Greek Church leaves the issue of the possibility of further Eucharistic communion with it open, saying that a final decision on the possibility of further Eucharistic communion with the clergy of the Greek Church will be made by the Synod of the Ukrainian Orthodox Church.
- Three religious extremists detained in Kazan 20 February 2020, 18:30
- Putin calls to halt any religious discord 20 February 2020, 13:25
- All Russian Orthodox Church parishes in Southeast Asia to pray for riddance of coronavirus 19 February 2020, 18:41
- Court arrests Moscow church attacker 18 February 2020, 19:27
- Investigators file for arrest of suspected assailant of Moscow churchgoers 18 February 2020, 12:18
- Man who attacked people in Moscow church says didn't plan crime, 'got up on wrong side of bed' 17 February 2020, 22:06
- Four members of banned pseudo-religious group convicted in Orenburg Region 17 February 2020, 18:38
- Georgian Church decides not to take part in pan-Orthodox meeting in Jordan 17 February 2020, 18:33
- Romanian Church to agree with granting of tomos to Orthodox Church in Ukraine, provided that Constantinople and Moscow reach consensus - media (updated) 14 February 2020, 21:11
- Karekin II grateful to Syria for recognizing Armenian genocide 14 February 2020, 18:08
- Pan-Orthodox meeting on 'Ukrainian issue' to be held in Amman on Feb 26 (updated) 14 February 2020, 15:08
- No same-sex marriage to be legitimized in Russia as long as I am president - Putin (updated) 13 February 2020, 17:31
- Orthodox leaders to discuss 'Ukrainian issue' in Amman in late Feb (updated) 12 February 2020, 21:28
- CPRF doesn't mind mentioning God in Russian constitution 11 February 2020, 18:30
- Criminal case opened in Transbaikal Territory after searches of residences of suspected Jehovah's Witnesses 10 February 2020, 19:57
- A woman could head the Russian Church synodal department 10 February 2020, 12:34
- Russian Church proposes to designate the special role of Russians in Constitution 10 February 2020, 12:15
- Zelensky invites Pope to visit Ukraine 10 February 2020, 11:58
- Zelensky asks Pope to help with release of Ukrainians in custody in Russia, Donbass 10 February 2020, 11:55
- Alexander Metochion in Jerusalem working as usual, has no info on property handover 05 February 2020, 21:25
- Yakut shaman complains to ECHR 05 February 2020, 18:09
- OCU terminates Filaret's membership in Holy Synod 05 February 2020, 12:27
- Russian Orthodox Church could discontinue practice of blessing WMDs 04 February 2020, 21:05
- Enshrining 'traditional marriage' in constitution at bottom of working group's agenda 04 February 2020, 19:14
- Krasheninnikov against enshrining family, God in constitution 04 February 2020, 18:58
- Pompeo praises Uzbekistan for progress in upholding religious freedom 03 February 2020, 19:17
- Marriage, not family should be defined as union between man and woman in Russian Constitution - Russian Orthodox Church 03 February 2020, 18:04
- Working group to discuss appropriateness of mentioning God in Constitution – Kremlin 03 February 2020, 13:57
- Patriarch Kirill proposes mentioning God in Constitution 02 February 2020, 19:02
- Orthodox society active at Alexander Metochion in Jerusalem still has no info on property transfer to Russia 31 January 2020, 15:14