30 October 2019, 11:42
CSTO fears Islamists who fled from Kurdish custody might migrate to Central Asia
Moscow, October 30, Interfax - The Collective Security Treaty Organization (CSTO) fears that fighters of the ISIL terrorist organization (banned in Russia) who fled from Kurdish custody might migrate to Central Asia, acting CSTO Secretary General Valery Semerikov told the press.
"These are not just forecasts but the actual reality: various kinds of fighters, including those with origins in CSTO member states, have suffered a defeat and are returning to home countries," Semerikov said in response to Interfax's question whether the CSTO was expecting a surge in the number of terrorist fighters operating in its territory after the exacerbation of the Turkish-Kurdish conflict in Syria.
"Speaking of the return of fighters, Central Asia runs the highest risk in the CSTO zone of responsibility. This is related to Afghanistan, in the first turn," Semerikov said.
Russian President Vladimir Putin expressed concern about the problem of captive ISIL fighters in October.
"ISIL fighters are concentrated in certain areas of northern Syria. Up till now they were guarded by the Kurdish militia. Now the Turkish army is arriving, and the Kurds are leaving those camps. They [the fighters] might flee," Putin said at the CIS summit in Ashgabat on October 11.
According to Russian Special Presidential Representative for Syria Alexander Lavrentyev, about 12,000 ISIL members are held in prison camps guarded by the Kurds.
- Three religious extremists detained in Kazan 20 February 2020, 18:30
- Putin calls to halt any religious discord 20 February 2020, 13:25
- All Russian Orthodox Church parishes in Southeast Asia to pray for riddance of coronavirus 19 February 2020, 18:41
- Court arrests Moscow church attacker 18 February 2020, 19:27
- Investigators file for arrest of suspected assailant of Moscow churchgoers 18 February 2020, 12:18
- Man who attacked people in Moscow church says didn't plan crime, 'got up on wrong side of bed' 17 February 2020, 22:06
- Four members of banned pseudo-religious group convicted in Orenburg Region 17 February 2020, 18:38
- Georgian Church decides not to take part in pan-Orthodox meeting in Jordan 17 February 2020, 18:33
- Romanian Church to agree with granting of tomos to Orthodox Church in Ukraine, provided that Constantinople and Moscow reach consensus - media (updated) 14 February 2020, 21:11
- Karekin II grateful to Syria for recognizing Armenian genocide 14 February 2020, 18:08
- Pan-Orthodox meeting on 'Ukrainian issue' to be held in Amman on Feb 26 (updated) 14 February 2020, 15:08
- No same-sex marriage to be legitimized in Russia as long as I am president - Putin (updated) 13 February 2020, 17:31
- Orthodox leaders to discuss 'Ukrainian issue' in Amman in late Feb (updated) 12 February 2020, 21:28
- CPRF doesn't mind mentioning God in Russian constitution 11 February 2020, 18:30
- Criminal case opened in Transbaikal Territory after searches of residences of suspected Jehovah's Witnesses 10 February 2020, 19:57
- A woman could head the Russian Church synodal department 10 February 2020, 12:34
- Russian Church proposes to designate the special role of Russians in Constitution 10 February 2020, 12:15
- Zelensky invites Pope to visit Ukraine 10 February 2020, 11:58
- Zelensky asks Pope to help with release of Ukrainians in custody in Russia, Donbass 10 February 2020, 11:55
- Alexander Metochion in Jerusalem working as usual, has no info on property handover 05 February 2020, 21:25
- Yakut shaman complains to ECHR 05 February 2020, 18:09
- OCU terminates Filaret's membership in Holy Synod 05 February 2020, 12:27
- Russian Orthodox Church could discontinue practice of blessing WMDs 04 February 2020, 21:05
- Enshrining 'traditional marriage' in constitution at bottom of working group's agenda 04 February 2020, 19:14
- Krasheninnikov against enshrining family, God in constitution 04 February 2020, 18:58
- Pompeo praises Uzbekistan for progress in upholding religious freedom 03 February 2020, 19:17
- Marriage, not family should be defined as union between man and woman in Russian Constitution - Russian Orthodox Church 03 February 2020, 18:04
- Working group to discuss appropriateness of mentioning God in Constitution – Kremlin 03 February 2020, 13:57
- Patriarch Kirill proposes mentioning God in Constitution 02 February 2020, 19:02
- Orthodox society active at Alexander Metochion in Jerusalem still has no info on property transfer to Russia 31 January 2020, 15:14