29 October 2019, 10:49
Eight communities of Old Believers granted Russian citizenship, planning to move from Brazil, U.S. to Primorye
Vladivostok, October 29, Interfax - Russian President Vladimir Putin has granted Russian citizenship to eight communities of Old Believers from Brazil and the United States, the press service of the Agency for Human Capital Development in the Russian Far East said in a statement.
"The Old Believers decided to ask for naturalization and to move after having paid a fact-finding visit to the Far East, the Republic of Buryatia, and the Republic of Karelia in fall 2008. Community leaders examined the living and farming conditions in various Russian regions, spoke with local farmers, and asked questions to representatives of the regional authorities," the statement said.
The Old Believers are due to move to Primorye under the state program for voluntary resettlement of compatriots to Russia.
Avraam Kalugin, the leader of a community from Brazil who was granted Russian citizenship by Putin's order, said he would move to Primorye together with his family in 2020 and would be a farmer.
"We have always been farmers. We grow soy and corn here. There are other options in the Far East. It is close to Korea, China, and Japan, so we will see which crops are profitable to grow there," the statement quoted Kalugin as saying.
According to the Agency, the number of compatriots participating in the state program for voluntary resettlement to Russia grew 30% year-on-year, to almost 3,000 in the first half of 2019.
The program involves all regions of the Far East but the Chukchi Autonomous Region. Far Eastern territories are the priority settlement areas, which offer expanded support for compatriots. Settlers are given a 240,000-ruble benefit, and each family member receives 120,000 rubles.
Settlers receive assistance on the orders from Putin. Following his meeting with the public on the Far East development that took place in Vladivostok on September 6, the president tasked the government with providing additional support for settlers who choose to move to the priority settlement areas and plan to be farmers or carry out other activity in rural areas within the framework of the state program for voluntary resettlement of compatriots to Russia. The list of instructions given after the meeting with the Far East public was published on the Kremlin website.
- Three religious extremists detained in Kazan 20 February 2020, 18:30
- Putin calls to halt any religious discord 20 February 2020, 13:25
- All Russian Orthodox Church parishes in Southeast Asia to pray for riddance of coronavirus 19 February 2020, 18:41
- Court arrests Moscow church attacker 18 February 2020, 19:27
- Investigators file for arrest of suspected assailant of Moscow churchgoers 18 February 2020, 12:18
- Man who attacked people in Moscow church says didn't plan crime, 'got up on wrong side of bed' 17 February 2020, 22:06
- Four members of banned pseudo-religious group convicted in Orenburg Region 17 February 2020, 18:38
- Georgian Church decides not to take part in pan-Orthodox meeting in Jordan 17 February 2020, 18:33
- Romanian Church to agree with granting of tomos to Orthodox Church in Ukraine, provided that Constantinople and Moscow reach consensus - media (updated) 14 February 2020, 21:11
- Karekin II grateful to Syria for recognizing Armenian genocide 14 February 2020, 18:08
- Pan-Orthodox meeting on 'Ukrainian issue' to be held in Amman on Feb 26 (updated) 14 February 2020, 15:08
- No same-sex marriage to be legitimized in Russia as long as I am president - Putin (updated) 13 February 2020, 17:31
- Orthodox leaders to discuss 'Ukrainian issue' in Amman in late Feb (updated) 12 February 2020, 21:28
- CPRF doesn't mind mentioning God in Russian constitution 11 February 2020, 18:30
- Criminal case opened in Transbaikal Territory after searches of residences of suspected Jehovah's Witnesses 10 February 2020, 19:57
- A woman could head the Russian Church synodal department 10 February 2020, 12:34
- Russian Church proposes to designate the special role of Russians in Constitution 10 February 2020, 12:15
- Zelensky invites Pope to visit Ukraine 10 February 2020, 11:58
- Zelensky asks Pope to help with release of Ukrainians in custody in Russia, Donbass 10 February 2020, 11:55
- Alexander Metochion in Jerusalem working as usual, has no info on property handover 05 February 2020, 21:25
- Yakut shaman complains to ECHR 05 February 2020, 18:09
- OCU terminates Filaret's membership in Holy Synod 05 February 2020, 12:27
- Russian Orthodox Church could discontinue practice of blessing WMDs 04 February 2020, 21:05
- Enshrining 'traditional marriage' in constitution at bottom of working group's agenda 04 February 2020, 19:14
- Krasheninnikov against enshrining family, God in constitution 04 February 2020, 18:58
- Pompeo praises Uzbekistan for progress in upholding religious freedom 03 February 2020, 19:17
- Marriage, not family should be defined as union between man and woman in Russian Constitution - Russian Orthodox Church 03 February 2020, 18:04
- Working group to discuss appropriateness of mentioning God in Constitution – Kremlin 03 February 2020, 13:57
- Patriarch Kirill proposes mentioning God in Constitution 02 February 2020, 19:02
- Orthodox society active at Alexander Metochion in Jerusalem still has no info on property transfer to Russia 31 January 2020, 15:14