17 October 2019, 17:36
Synod authorizes Patriarch Kirill to stop mentioning head of Greek Orthodox Church if it associates itself with OCU
Moscow, October 17, Interfax - The Synod of the Moscow Patriarchate has warned the bishops of the Greek Orthodox Church about the consequences that the recognition by them of the non-canonical Church of Ukraine (the Orthodox Church of Ukraine - OCU) may have.
"The Holy Synod of the Russian Orthodox Church authorizes the Holy Patriarch Kirill of Moscow and All Russia to stop mentioning His Beatitude Archbishop of Athens and All Greece in the diptychs if the head of the Greek Orthodox Church starts mentioning in his services the head of one of Ukraine's schismatic groups or takes other actions indicating recognition by him of the Ukrainian church schism," the Synod said in a final document released during its extraordinary session held in Moscow on Thursday.
On October 12, the assembly of the hierarchs of the Greek Orthodox Church recognized the right of the Constantinople Patriarchate to grant autocephaly, in particular, to the Orthodox Church of Ukraine, which was created in December 2018 with support from the Constantinople Patriarchate and the then-administration of Ukraine on the basis of two non-canonical religious organizations of the country. The new Church of Ukraine has until now not been recognized by any of the regional Orthodox churches except for Constantinople.
At the same time, the Synod of the Russian Orthodox Church, having studied the details of the Assembly in Athens, doubted that the position of Archbishop Hieronymus was shared by the other Greek hierarchs, and also said that the votes of those who disagreed had been ignored at the forum, there had been no voting and an assembly document with the hierarchs' signatures was not available in public access.
In this regard, the Synod of the Russian Orthodox Church accused Constantinople Patriarch Bartholomew of pressuring the Greek Orthodox Church and blocking any initiatives of the "Ukrainian issue."
"It is sad that the historical achievements of the Greek people in the dissemination of Orthodoxy are thus exchanged for immediately political benefits and support of geopolitical interests that are foreign to Church," the Synod of the Russian Orthodox Church said in its statement.
"Such speculation on national feelings will not be a success, they cannot undermine the unity of our faith, which was paid for by the blood of new martyrs and confessors of our Churches, they will not interrupt the unity of our ascetic tradition, which was created by the deed of many priests and ascetic champions, they will not destroy the centuries-old friendship of the Greek and Slavic peoples, which was paid for by the blood of Russian warriors and strengthened in the common fight for the freedom of the brotherly Greek people," the Synod said.
Members of the Synod said they treasure the prayer communion with their brothers in the Greek Orthodox Church and they will continue "living prayer, canonical and Eucharistic communion with it through all those archbishops and priests who have already spoken and will later speak against the recognition of the Ukrainian schism, who will not tarnish themselves by co-service with the schismatic false hierarchs, but will show an example of Christian courage and steadfastness for Christian faith," the Synod said.
At the same time, the Russian Orthodox Church stops prayer and Eucharistic communion with those hierarchs of the Greek Orthodox Church who have begun or will begin communion with representatives of Ukrainian "non-canonical schismatic communities" and does not bless pilgrimage to dioceses run by the said hierarchs.
- Three religious extremists detained in Kazan 20 February 2020, 18:30
- Putin calls to halt any religious discord 20 February 2020, 13:25
- All Russian Orthodox Church parishes in Southeast Asia to pray for riddance of coronavirus 19 February 2020, 18:41
- Court arrests Moscow church attacker 18 February 2020, 19:27
- Investigators file for arrest of suspected assailant of Moscow churchgoers 18 February 2020, 12:18
- Man who attacked people in Moscow church says didn't plan crime, 'got up on wrong side of bed' 17 February 2020, 22:06
- Four members of banned pseudo-religious group convicted in Orenburg Region 17 February 2020, 18:38
- Georgian Church decides not to take part in pan-Orthodox meeting in Jordan 17 February 2020, 18:33
- Romanian Church to agree with granting of tomos to Orthodox Church in Ukraine, provided that Constantinople and Moscow reach consensus - media (updated) 14 February 2020, 21:11
- Karekin II grateful to Syria for recognizing Armenian genocide 14 February 2020, 18:08
- Pan-Orthodox meeting on 'Ukrainian issue' to be held in Amman on Feb 26 (updated) 14 February 2020, 15:08
- No same-sex marriage to be legitimized in Russia as long as I am president - Putin (updated) 13 February 2020, 17:31
- Orthodox leaders to discuss 'Ukrainian issue' in Amman in late Feb (updated) 12 February 2020, 21:28
- CPRF doesn't mind mentioning God in Russian constitution 11 February 2020, 18:30
- Criminal case opened in Transbaikal Territory after searches of residences of suspected Jehovah's Witnesses 10 February 2020, 19:57
- A woman could head the Russian Church synodal department 10 February 2020, 12:34
- Russian Church proposes to designate the special role of Russians in Constitution 10 February 2020, 12:15
- Zelensky invites Pope to visit Ukraine 10 February 2020, 11:58
- Zelensky asks Pope to help with release of Ukrainians in custody in Russia, Donbass 10 February 2020, 11:55
- Alexander Metochion in Jerusalem working as usual, has no info on property handover 05 February 2020, 21:25
- Yakut shaman complains to ECHR 05 February 2020, 18:09
- OCU terminates Filaret's membership in Holy Synod 05 February 2020, 12:27
- Russian Orthodox Church could discontinue practice of blessing WMDs 04 February 2020, 21:05
- Enshrining 'traditional marriage' in constitution at bottom of working group's agenda 04 February 2020, 19:14
- Krasheninnikov against enshrining family, God in constitution 04 February 2020, 18:58
- Pompeo praises Uzbekistan for progress in upholding religious freedom 03 February 2020, 19:17
- Marriage, not family should be defined as union between man and woman in Russian Constitution - Russian Orthodox Church 03 February 2020, 18:04
- Working group to discuss appropriateness of mentioning God in Constitution – Kremlin 03 February 2020, 13:57
- Patriarch Kirill proposes mentioning God in Constitution 02 February 2020, 19:02
- Orthodox society active at Alexander Metochion in Jerusalem still has no info on property transfer to Russia 31 January 2020, 15:14