13 October 2019, 20:35
Alma-Ata police conduct searches at Jehovah's Witnesses office
Alma-Ata, October 13, Interfax - Investigative measures authorized by a local court have been taken in the Kazakh city of Alma-Ata at the office of the Jehovah's Witnesses religious organization and the places of residence of some of its members suspected of sexual offences against minors, the press service of the city police department said.
"These measures were taken as part of the materials of pre-trial investigations launched based on citizens' complaints into possible crimes under Part 3 of Article 122 (sexual intercourse or other sexual offences against persons under the age of 16) of the Criminal Code of [Kazakhstan]," it said.
The suspects are under investigation over crimes against sexual inviolability of citizens under the age of 16, the police said.
"Information about the suspects cannot be disclosed for legal reasons," it said.
The Russian Supreme Court earlier designated the Administrative Center of Jehovah's Witnesses in Russia and all of its 395 regional branches as an extremist organization and banned their activities in Russia.
- St. Petersburg court releases leader of local Scientologists after 2.5 years of arrest 15 November 2019, 17:10
- Putin meets in Brasilia with church rector who converted from Catholicism to Orthodoxy 15 November 2019, 11:10
- There is war going on against traditional religions, younger generation is most vulnerable in this war - Patriarch Kirill 14 November 2019, 18:18
- Patriarch Kirill invited to visit Finland in spring 2020 14 November 2019, 16:57
- Christians persecuted in some African countries - Patriarch Kirill to religious leaders 14 November 2019, 16:55
- Europe losing Christian identity due to secularism - Patriarch Kirill 14 November 2019, 16:51
- Russian specialists may help restore Notre Dame in Paris 14 November 2019, 16:41
- Cathedral mosque to open in Crimea in summer 2020 13 November 2019, 18:28
- Ukrainian Jewish Committee slams Kiev lawmakers for naming streets after Nazi collaborators 13 November 2019, 13:13
- Patriarch of Alexandria receives letter with Kiss of Judas fresco after recognizing OCU 13 November 2019, 12:29
- Patriarch Kirill to cease liturgical commemoration of Patriarch of Alexandria - Moscow Patriarchate spokesman 08 November 2019, 17:41
- Jihadists prepare lone terrorists in the social networks - FSB chief 07 November 2019, 18:40
- Latvian Orthodox Church denies rumors about transition to Constantinople jurisdiction 07 November 2019, 14:54
- The synagogue near Moscow wins international award 07 November 2019, 14:22
- Lavrov blames U.S. for split of the Orthodox world 06 November 2019, 16:57
- The Russian Orthodox Church is responsible for the destiny of Orthodoxy all around the world 06 November 2019, 11:42
- Patriarch Kirill says global Orthodoxy will overcome schism 06 November 2019, 11:39
- Relations between Russian Orthodox Church, Russian Archdiocese abroad not based on submission - Metropolitan Jean 06 November 2019, 11:37
- Head of Russian parishes in Europe believes the West has great missionary potential 06 November 2019, 11:35
- Leader of Russian parishes in Europe expects new "Russian Exarchate" communities to join Russian Orthodox Church 05 November 2019, 19:50
- Sentence for leader of Tomsk Jehovah's Witnesses consistent with current Russian law - Peskov 05 November 2019, 16:13
- Radical Islamist detained on suspicion of plotting terror attack in Moscow 05 November 2019, 13:25
- Patriarch Kirill stopped mentioning head of Greek Church during religious service 03 November 2019, 11:32
- Patriarch Kirill gives Archbishop Jean document reuniting Archdiocese of Russian Churches in W. Europe with Moscow Patriarchate 03 November 2019, 11:27
- Metropolitan Hilarion says his meeting with Pompeo foiled by Russian Orthodox Church opponents 02 November 2019, 18:49
- Russian Orthodox Church to stop communion with head of Greek Church 02 November 2019, 18:46
- Patriarch Kirill signs document reuniting Western Europe archdiocese with Russian Orthodox Church 01 November 2019, 18:37
- Federation of Jewish Communities president calls sentence on Israeli traveler caught with hashish in Russia excessive 31 October 2019, 11:20
- Putin concerned about Christians' mass exodus from Middle East 31 October 2019, 10:00
- Armenian Church calls U.S. congressmen's recognition of Armenian genocide important for restoration of historical justice 30 October 2019, 15:35