08 October 2019, 10:07
Georgian patriarch hopes for German president to facilitate settlement of Transcaucasia's crises
Tbilisi, October 8, Interfax - Germany can help the settlement of the crises in Abkhazia and South Ossetia "to get off the ground," Catholicos and Patriarch Ilia II of Georgia said.
The issue of territorial integrity for Tbilisi is "the biggest and most pressing problem," the patriarch said at a meeting with German President Frank-Walter Steinmeier at the Georgian Patriarchate.
"About 20% [of our territory] has been taken over by another country, but I want to say that this problem constitutes a heavy burden for Russia. It is necessary to do everything for this problem to be solved. We believe that Germany has enough forces and authority to take active part in this process. I think that military bases should be withdrawn from these territories," Ilia II said.
In this regard, the German president's visit is very important for Georgia, and the Georgian people pins high hopes on it, according to the Georgian patriarch.
"We have passed such a path in diplomatic work that we will easily get it off the ground," Ilia II told Steinmeier.
The German president, in turn, said at the meeting that he saw the Georgian leadership's attempts to settle crises diplomatically.
"I know that the Georgian government is seeking a solution to settle the conflict diplomatically," he said, noting that Russia's active involvement in this process is inevitable.
The German president recalled the attempts to settle the crisis in July 2008, when he visited Georgia as the German foreign minister. "Then, we wanted to find a solution for that not to grow into a conflict, but we unfortunately failed to do so," he said.
On Tuesday, he wants to visit the border with South Ossetia and meet with members of the EU Observer Mission who are monitoring the situation in border regions, Steinmeier said.
He said that he was well informed of the situation that has emerged there in recent months, noting that building border barriers from the side of South Ossetia "very badly affects people, who live on both sides."
- Russia's historical mission is to keep Europe from breaking away from the Christian tradition - Foreign Intelligence Service chief 22 October 2019, 11:54
- Liberalism not useful for Russians - Russian Orthodox Church's rep 18 October 2019, 18:55
- Ukraine's chief rabbi demands that perpetrators, organizers of anti-Semitic provocation in Kiev be brought to justice 18 October 2019, 15:56
- Russian parish in Miami goes over to Constantinople Patriarchate 18 October 2019, 15:28
- Patriarch Kirill compares abortion practice to pagan sacrifices 18 October 2019, 15:26
- Patriarch Kirill calls on Russians to support ROC on situation with division in global Orthodoxy 18 October 2019, 15:22
- Russian Orthodox Church will not bless pilgrimages to Greek dioceses supporting new church of Ukraine 17 October 2019, 18:26
- Synod authorizes Patriarch Kirill to stop mentioning head of Greek Orthodox Church if it associates itself with OCU 17 October 2019, 17:36
- Traditional moral values, democracy can coexist - Patriarch Kirill 14 October 2019, 20:22
- Patriarch Kirill could visit Korean Peninsula next June 14 October 2019, 20:09
- Holy Synod of Moscow Patriarchate to assess Church of Greece decision to recognize OCU this fall 13 October 2019, 20:45
- Greek Orthodox Church hierarchs recognize OCU autocephaly 13 October 2019, 20:44
- New Syrian constitution must guarantee interests of all ethnic, religious groups - Putin 13 October 2019, 20:36
- Alma-Ata police conduct searches at Jehovah's Witnesses office 13 October 2019, 20:35
- Kardashian was named Egine after baptizing in Armenia 11 October 2019, 10:47
- Three Russian Islamist women accused of killing prison guard in Pakistan 11 October 2019, 10:45
- Man hurt in shooting near monastery in southern Urals 11 October 2019, 10:33
- Today's methods for countering anti-Semitism insufficient - FJCR 11 October 2019, 10:32
- Daughter, son-in-law of Orenburg priest charged with child molestation left in custody 09 October 2019, 14:12
- Two Jehovah's Witnesses released from custody, placed under house arrest in Russia's Primorye 08 October 2019, 13:38
- Kardashian baptized children in Armenia 08 October 2019, 10:12
- Georgian patriarch hopes for German president to facilitate settlement of Transcaucasia's crises 08 October 2019, 10:07
- Patriarch Kirill congratulates Western Europe's 'Russian exarchate' on rejoining Russian Orthodox Church 08 October 2019, 10:03
- Russian Exarchate to keep financial independence, traditions within Russian Orthodox Church 08 October 2019, 10:00
- Russian Orthodox Church Synod includes in it former Constantinople 'Russian exarchate' (updated) 07 October 2019, 15:46
- FJCR announcing two new synagogues in Crimea 04 October 2019, 10:00
- The Maronite Patriarchate denies it has recognized the OCU 04 October 2019, 10:00
- Bashkir hunter shot the priest taking him for a bear 03 October 2019, 11:57
- Chasids leave Uman 02 October 2019, 20:15
- Russian religious donators give Syria school worth $300,000 30 September 2019, 15:57