08 October 2019, 10:07
Georgian patriarch hopes for German president to facilitate settlement of Transcaucasia's crises
Tbilisi, October 8, Interfax - Germany can help the settlement of the crises in Abkhazia and South Ossetia "to get off the ground," Catholicos and Patriarch Ilia II of Georgia said.
The issue of territorial integrity for Tbilisi is "the biggest and most pressing problem," the patriarch said at a meeting with German President Frank-Walter Steinmeier at the Georgian Patriarchate.
"About 20% [of our territory] has been taken over by another country, but I want to say that this problem constitutes a heavy burden for Russia. It is necessary to do everything for this problem to be solved. We believe that Germany has enough forces and authority to take active part in this process. I think that military bases should be withdrawn from these territories," Ilia II said.
In this regard, the German president's visit is very important for Georgia, and the Georgian people pins high hopes on it, according to the Georgian patriarch.
"We have passed such a path in diplomatic work that we will easily get it off the ground," Ilia II told Steinmeier.
The German president, in turn, said at the meeting that he saw the Georgian leadership's attempts to settle crises diplomatically.
"I know that the Georgian government is seeking a solution to settle the conflict diplomatically," he said, noting that Russia's active involvement in this process is inevitable.
The German president recalled the attempts to settle the crisis in July 2008, when he visited Georgia as the German foreign minister. "Then, we wanted to find a solution for that not to grow into a conflict, but we unfortunately failed to do so," he said.
On Tuesday, he wants to visit the border with South Ossetia and meet with members of the EU Observer Mission who are monitoring the situation in border regions, Steinmeier said.
He said that he was well informed of the situation that has emerged there in recent months, noting that building border barriers from the side of South Ossetia "very badly affects people, who live on both sides."
- Three religious extremists detained in Kazan 20 February 2020, 18:30
- Putin calls to halt any religious discord 20 February 2020, 13:25
- All Russian Orthodox Church parishes in Southeast Asia to pray for riddance of coronavirus 19 February 2020, 18:41
- Court arrests Moscow church attacker 18 February 2020, 19:27
- Investigators file for arrest of suspected assailant of Moscow churchgoers 18 February 2020, 12:18
- Man who attacked people in Moscow church says didn't plan crime, 'got up on wrong side of bed' 17 February 2020, 22:06
- Four members of banned pseudo-religious group convicted in Orenburg Region 17 February 2020, 18:38
- Georgian Church decides not to take part in pan-Orthodox meeting in Jordan 17 February 2020, 18:33
- Romanian Church to agree with granting of tomos to Orthodox Church in Ukraine, provided that Constantinople and Moscow reach consensus - media (updated) 14 February 2020, 21:11
- Karekin II grateful to Syria for recognizing Armenian genocide 14 February 2020, 18:08
- Pan-Orthodox meeting on 'Ukrainian issue' to be held in Amman on Feb 26 (updated) 14 February 2020, 15:08
- No same-sex marriage to be legitimized in Russia as long as I am president - Putin (updated) 13 February 2020, 17:31
- Orthodox leaders to discuss 'Ukrainian issue' in Amman in late Feb (updated) 12 February 2020, 21:28
- CPRF doesn't mind mentioning God in Russian constitution 11 February 2020, 18:30
- Criminal case opened in Transbaikal Territory after searches of residences of suspected Jehovah's Witnesses 10 February 2020, 19:57
- A woman could head the Russian Church synodal department 10 February 2020, 12:34
- Russian Church proposes to designate the special role of Russians in Constitution 10 February 2020, 12:15
- Zelensky invites Pope to visit Ukraine 10 February 2020, 11:58
- Zelensky asks Pope to help with release of Ukrainians in custody in Russia, Donbass 10 February 2020, 11:55
- Alexander Metochion in Jerusalem working as usual, has no info on property handover 05 February 2020, 21:25
- Yakut shaman complains to ECHR 05 February 2020, 18:09
- OCU terminates Filaret's membership in Holy Synod 05 February 2020, 12:27
- Russian Orthodox Church could discontinue practice of blessing WMDs 04 February 2020, 21:05
- Enshrining 'traditional marriage' in constitution at bottom of working group's agenda 04 February 2020, 19:14
- Krasheninnikov against enshrining family, God in constitution 04 February 2020, 18:58
- Pompeo praises Uzbekistan for progress in upholding religious freedom 03 February 2020, 19:17
- Marriage, not family should be defined as union between man and woman in Russian Constitution - Russian Orthodox Church 03 February 2020, 18:04
- Working group to discuss appropriateness of mentioning God in Constitution – Kremlin 03 February 2020, 13:57
- Patriarch Kirill proposes mentioning God in Constitution 02 February 2020, 19:02
- Orthodox society active at Alexander Metochion in Jerusalem still has no info on property transfer to Russia 31 January 2020, 15:14