08 October 2019, 10:03
Patriarch Kirill congratulates Western Europe's 'Russian exarchate' on rejoining Russian Orthodox Church
Sergiev Posad, October 8, Interfax - Patriarch Kirill of Moscow and All Russia congratulated the clergy and parishioners of the "Russian exarchate" in Western Europe on their return to the Russian Orthodox Church.
"First of all, I would like to congratulate our brothers and sisters in Western Europe, and all of us, on a reunion of a part of the Russian Orthodox Church, which has been separated from it until recently, with the mother church," the patriarch said on Monday following the Holy Synod meeting in the Holy Trinity - St. Sergius Lavra, where the reunification of the "Russian exarchate" with the Russian Orthodox Church was officially formalized.
This exarchate with its central branch in Paris until recently has been part of Russian Orthodox emigration, which was brought about by the revolution and the civil war, the patriarch said.
"The Paris church emigration passed a very hard way from the confrontation with the Russian church, which was caused by political circumstances, to making a decision to rejoin the Moscow Patriarchate. All of us also passed the relevant path," the patriarch said.
The return of the exarchate, which was founded by Russian emigrants, became possible, "because a lot has changed in Western Europe, and because much has changed in the life of our country and our Church," he said.
Archbishops of Russian Orthodox parishes in Western Europe, also known as the "Russian exarchate," has been subordinate to the Constantinople Patriarchate for about 90 years, up to the end of 2018.
The "Russian exarchate" unilaterally abolished the Synod in Istanbul at the end of last year that prompted the latter to seek new options of its canonical future, one of which has been the reunion with the Church in Russia.
- Three religious extremists detained in Kazan 20 February 2020, 18:30
- Putin calls to halt any religious discord 20 February 2020, 13:25
- All Russian Orthodox Church parishes in Southeast Asia to pray for riddance of coronavirus 19 February 2020, 18:41
- Court arrests Moscow church attacker 18 February 2020, 19:27
- Investigators file for arrest of suspected assailant of Moscow churchgoers 18 February 2020, 12:18
- Man who attacked people in Moscow church says didn't plan crime, 'got up on wrong side of bed' 17 February 2020, 22:06
- Four members of banned pseudo-religious group convicted in Orenburg Region 17 February 2020, 18:38
- Georgian Church decides not to take part in pan-Orthodox meeting in Jordan 17 February 2020, 18:33
- Romanian Church to agree with granting of tomos to Orthodox Church in Ukraine, provided that Constantinople and Moscow reach consensus - media (updated) 14 February 2020, 21:11
- Karekin II grateful to Syria for recognizing Armenian genocide 14 February 2020, 18:08
- Pan-Orthodox meeting on 'Ukrainian issue' to be held in Amman on Feb 26 (updated) 14 February 2020, 15:08
- No same-sex marriage to be legitimized in Russia as long as I am president - Putin (updated) 13 February 2020, 17:31
- Orthodox leaders to discuss 'Ukrainian issue' in Amman in late Feb (updated) 12 February 2020, 21:28
- CPRF doesn't mind mentioning God in Russian constitution 11 February 2020, 18:30
- Criminal case opened in Transbaikal Territory after searches of residences of suspected Jehovah's Witnesses 10 February 2020, 19:57
- A woman could head the Russian Church synodal department 10 February 2020, 12:34
- Russian Church proposes to designate the special role of Russians in Constitution 10 February 2020, 12:15
- Zelensky invites Pope to visit Ukraine 10 February 2020, 11:58
- Zelensky asks Pope to help with release of Ukrainians in custody in Russia, Donbass 10 February 2020, 11:55
- Alexander Metochion in Jerusalem working as usual, has no info on property handover 05 February 2020, 21:25
- Yakut shaman complains to ECHR 05 February 2020, 18:09
- OCU terminates Filaret's membership in Holy Synod 05 February 2020, 12:27
- Russian Orthodox Church could discontinue practice of blessing WMDs 04 February 2020, 21:05
- Enshrining 'traditional marriage' in constitution at bottom of working group's agenda 04 February 2020, 19:14
- Krasheninnikov against enshrining family, God in constitution 04 February 2020, 18:58
- Pompeo praises Uzbekistan for progress in upholding religious freedom 03 February 2020, 19:17
- Marriage, not family should be defined as union between man and woman in Russian Constitution - Russian Orthodox Church 03 February 2020, 18:04
- Working group to discuss appropriateness of mentioning God in Constitution – Kremlin 03 February 2020, 13:57
- Patriarch Kirill proposes mentioning God in Constitution 02 February 2020, 19:02
- Orthodox society active at Alexander Metochion in Jerusalem still has no info on property transfer to Russia 31 January 2020, 15:14