08 October 2019, 10:00
Russian Exarchate to keep financial independence, traditions within Russian Orthodox Church
Sergiev Posad, October 8, Interfax - The Russian Orthodox Church (ROC) Synod, which has admitted the Archdiocese of Russian Orthodox parishes in Western Europe, has allowed it to retain financial independence.
"The archdiocese retains its financial autonomy and running of its moveable and immoveable property under the laws of the countries in which it operates," ROC spokesman Vladimir Legoyda said at a briefing at the Trinity Lavra of St. Sergius.
The resolution was signed with immediate effect, he said.
The archdiocese will also retain its theological and pastoral peculiarities and traditions, including the calendar, he said.
Now that it is part of ROC, the Russian Exarchate will be receiving holy oil from Moscow, the Synod said in the journals published on the Moscow Patriarchate's website on Monday.
The archdiocese can change and amend its bylaws in consultation with the Patriarch of Moscow and with approval by the Holy Synod. The Moscow Patriarchate can make changes to a list of candidates for the head of the archdiocese.
The head of the archdiocese will have the exclusive right to establish new monasteries and parishes, grant leave of absence to its clerics, admit, and ordain priests.
Archbishops shall be members of the ROC Local and Episcopal Councils; its clergy and laity shall be duly elected members of the Local Council. Also, the head of the archdiocese will attend Holy Synod meetings as a temporary member.
The Synod resolution separately emphasizes the traditional unacceptability of participation in election campaigns and politics. In their pronouncements on pastoral and public matters the archdiocese's clergy "should follow the principle of the freedom of conscience."
Right after the Synod meeting, Patriarch Kirill phoned the Exarchate leader, Archbishop John (Renneteau) of Dubna, to thank him for his pastoral efforts. John in turn thanked the patriarch and his Synod for the decisions made today.
- Russia's historical mission is to keep Europe from breaking away from the Christian tradition - Foreign Intelligence Service chief 22 October 2019, 11:54
- Liberalism not useful for Russians - Russian Orthodox Church's rep 18 October 2019, 18:55
- Ukraine's chief rabbi demands that perpetrators, organizers of anti-Semitic provocation in Kiev be brought to justice 18 October 2019, 15:56
- Russian parish in Miami goes over to Constantinople Patriarchate 18 October 2019, 15:28
- Patriarch Kirill compares abortion practice to pagan sacrifices 18 October 2019, 15:26
- Patriarch Kirill calls on Russians to support ROC on situation with division in global Orthodoxy 18 October 2019, 15:22
- Russian Orthodox Church will not bless pilgrimages to Greek dioceses supporting new church of Ukraine 17 October 2019, 18:26
- Synod authorizes Patriarch Kirill to stop mentioning head of Greek Orthodox Church if it associates itself with OCU 17 October 2019, 17:36
- Traditional moral values, democracy can coexist - Patriarch Kirill 14 October 2019, 20:22
- Patriarch Kirill could visit Korean Peninsula next June 14 October 2019, 20:09
- Holy Synod of Moscow Patriarchate to assess Church of Greece decision to recognize OCU this fall 13 October 2019, 20:45
- Greek Orthodox Church hierarchs recognize OCU autocephaly 13 October 2019, 20:44
- New Syrian constitution must guarantee interests of all ethnic, religious groups - Putin 13 October 2019, 20:36
- Alma-Ata police conduct searches at Jehovah's Witnesses office 13 October 2019, 20:35
- Kardashian was named Egine after baptizing in Armenia 11 October 2019, 10:47
- Three Russian Islamist women accused of killing prison guard in Pakistan 11 October 2019, 10:45
- Man hurt in shooting near monastery in southern Urals 11 October 2019, 10:33
- Today's methods for countering anti-Semitism insufficient - FJCR 11 October 2019, 10:32
- Daughter, son-in-law of Orenburg priest charged with child molestation left in custody 09 October 2019, 14:12
- Two Jehovah's Witnesses released from custody, placed under house arrest in Russia's Primorye 08 October 2019, 13:38
- Kardashian baptized children in Armenia 08 October 2019, 10:12
- Georgian patriarch hopes for German president to facilitate settlement of Transcaucasia's crises 08 October 2019, 10:07
- Patriarch Kirill congratulates Western Europe's 'Russian exarchate' on rejoining Russian Orthodox Church 08 October 2019, 10:03
- Russian Exarchate to keep financial independence, traditions within Russian Orthodox Church 08 October 2019, 10:00
- Russian Orthodox Church Synod includes in it former Constantinople 'Russian exarchate' (updated) 07 October 2019, 15:46
- FJCR announcing two new synagogues in Crimea 04 October 2019, 10:00
- The Maronite Patriarchate denies it has recognized the OCU 04 October 2019, 10:00
- Bashkir hunter shot the priest taking him for a bear 03 October 2019, 11:57
- Chasids leave Uman 02 October 2019, 20:15
- Russian religious donators give Syria school worth $300,000 30 September 2019, 15:57