08 October 2019, 10:00
Russian Exarchate to keep financial independence, traditions within Russian Orthodox Church
Sergiev Posad, October 8, Interfax - The Russian Orthodox Church (ROC) Synod, which has admitted the Archdiocese of Russian Orthodox parishes in Western Europe, has allowed it to retain financial independence.
"The archdiocese retains its financial autonomy and running of its moveable and immoveable property under the laws of the countries in which it operates," ROC spokesman Vladimir Legoyda said at a briefing at the Trinity Lavra of St. Sergius.
The resolution was signed with immediate effect, he said.
The archdiocese will also retain its theological and pastoral peculiarities and traditions, including the calendar, he said.
Now that it is part of ROC, the Russian Exarchate will be receiving holy oil from Moscow, the Synod said in the journals published on the Moscow Patriarchate's website on Monday.
The archdiocese can change and amend its bylaws in consultation with the Patriarch of Moscow and with approval by the Holy Synod. The Moscow Patriarchate can make changes to a list of candidates for the head of the archdiocese.
The head of the archdiocese will have the exclusive right to establish new monasteries and parishes, grant leave of absence to its clerics, admit, and ordain priests.
Archbishops shall be members of the ROC Local and Episcopal Councils; its clergy and laity shall be duly elected members of the Local Council. Also, the head of the archdiocese will attend Holy Synod meetings as a temporary member.
The Synod resolution separately emphasizes the traditional unacceptability of participation in election campaigns and politics. In their pronouncements on pastoral and public matters the archdiocese's clergy "should follow the principle of the freedom of conscience."
Right after the Synod meeting, Patriarch Kirill phoned the Exarchate leader, Archbishop Jean (Renneteau) of Dubna, to thank him for his pastoral efforts. John in turn thanked the patriarch and his Synod for the decisions made today.
- Three religious extremists detained in Kazan 20 February 2020, 18:30
- Putin calls to halt any religious discord 20 February 2020, 13:25
- All Russian Orthodox Church parishes in Southeast Asia to pray for riddance of coronavirus 19 February 2020, 18:41
- Court arrests Moscow church attacker 18 February 2020, 19:27
- Investigators file for arrest of suspected assailant of Moscow churchgoers 18 February 2020, 12:18
- Man who attacked people in Moscow church says didn't plan crime, 'got up on wrong side of bed' 17 February 2020, 22:06
- Four members of banned pseudo-religious group convicted in Orenburg Region 17 February 2020, 18:38
- Georgian Church decides not to take part in pan-Orthodox meeting in Jordan 17 February 2020, 18:33
- Romanian Church to agree with granting of tomos to Orthodox Church in Ukraine, provided that Constantinople and Moscow reach consensus - media (updated) 14 February 2020, 21:11
- Karekin II grateful to Syria for recognizing Armenian genocide 14 February 2020, 18:08
- Pan-Orthodox meeting on 'Ukrainian issue' to be held in Amman on Feb 26 (updated) 14 February 2020, 15:08
- No same-sex marriage to be legitimized in Russia as long as I am president - Putin (updated) 13 February 2020, 17:31
- Orthodox leaders to discuss 'Ukrainian issue' in Amman in late Feb (updated) 12 February 2020, 21:28
- CPRF doesn't mind mentioning God in Russian constitution 11 February 2020, 18:30
- Criminal case opened in Transbaikal Territory after searches of residences of suspected Jehovah's Witnesses 10 February 2020, 19:57
- A woman could head the Russian Church synodal department 10 February 2020, 12:34
- Russian Church proposes to designate the special role of Russians in Constitution 10 February 2020, 12:15
- Zelensky invites Pope to visit Ukraine 10 February 2020, 11:58
- Zelensky asks Pope to help with release of Ukrainians in custody in Russia, Donbass 10 February 2020, 11:55
- Alexander Metochion in Jerusalem working as usual, has no info on property handover 05 February 2020, 21:25
- Yakut shaman complains to ECHR 05 February 2020, 18:09
- OCU terminates Filaret's membership in Holy Synod 05 February 2020, 12:27
- Russian Orthodox Church could discontinue practice of blessing WMDs 04 February 2020, 21:05
- Enshrining 'traditional marriage' in constitution at bottom of working group's agenda 04 February 2020, 19:14
- Krasheninnikov against enshrining family, God in constitution 04 February 2020, 18:58
- Pompeo praises Uzbekistan for progress in upholding religious freedom 03 February 2020, 19:17
- Marriage, not family should be defined as union between man and woman in Russian Constitution - Russian Orthodox Church 03 February 2020, 18:04
- Working group to discuss appropriateness of mentioning God in Constitution – Kremlin 03 February 2020, 13:57
- Patriarch Kirill proposes mentioning God in Constitution 02 February 2020, 19:02
- Orthodox society active at Alexander Metochion in Jerusalem still has no info on property transfer to Russia 31 January 2020, 15:14