04 October 2019, 10:00
The Maronite Patriarchate denies it has recognized the OCU
Beirut, October 4, Interfax - The Maronite Patriarchate denies the information that the visit of delegation of the new Church of Ukraine was held on invitation of the Maronite Patriarch of Antioch and the whole East.
"Maronite Patriarch of Antioch and the Whole Levant cardinal Bechara Boutros Rahi has never sent an invitation to the so-called OCU, as it was hurriedly reported by the OCU and spread by mass media," a source in the Maronite Patriarchate familiar with the situation reports.
He explained that members of a Maronite family brought a statue of St.Maron from Ukraine and set it up in their village in Lebanon. To celebrate the consecration of the statue they sent invitations to all Ukrainian Churches.
"On the request of Ukrainian Maronites, the Patriarchate provided Christian hospitality to the members of delegation even not knowing who they were," patriarchate's officials stressed pointing out that their contacts have never exceeded the frames of ordinary polite greetings, and there has never been even mentioning of invitation to come to Lebanon with an official visit conveyed to the OCU head or any other cleric."
Having learnt about misinformation about the OCU visit, the Maronite Patriarchate demanded through its representatives in Ukraine to correct this fake reports. However, according to the source, the OCU refused to make corrections.
"The Maronite Patriarchate is outraged with improper methods of the new Ukrainian structure that is desperately trying to gain recognition by unrighteous way, though its officials have discredited themselves by their own behavior," the source said.
- Three religious extremists detained in Kazan 20 February 2020, 18:30
- Putin calls to halt any religious discord 20 February 2020, 13:25
- All Russian Orthodox Church parishes in Southeast Asia to pray for riddance of coronavirus 19 February 2020, 18:41
- Court arrests Moscow church attacker 18 February 2020, 19:27
- Investigators file for arrest of suspected assailant of Moscow churchgoers 18 February 2020, 12:18
- Man who attacked people in Moscow church says didn't plan crime, 'got up on wrong side of bed' 17 February 2020, 22:06
- Four members of banned pseudo-religious group convicted in Orenburg Region 17 February 2020, 18:38
- Georgian Church decides not to take part in pan-Orthodox meeting in Jordan 17 February 2020, 18:33
- Romanian Church to agree with granting of tomos to Orthodox Church in Ukraine, provided that Constantinople and Moscow reach consensus - media (updated) 14 February 2020, 21:11
- Karekin II grateful to Syria for recognizing Armenian genocide 14 February 2020, 18:08
- Pan-Orthodox meeting on 'Ukrainian issue' to be held in Amman on Feb 26 (updated) 14 February 2020, 15:08
- No same-sex marriage to be legitimized in Russia as long as I am president - Putin (updated) 13 February 2020, 17:31
- Orthodox leaders to discuss 'Ukrainian issue' in Amman in late Feb (updated) 12 February 2020, 21:28
- CPRF doesn't mind mentioning God in Russian constitution 11 February 2020, 18:30
- Criminal case opened in Transbaikal Territory after searches of residences of suspected Jehovah's Witnesses 10 February 2020, 19:57
- A woman could head the Russian Church synodal department 10 February 2020, 12:34
- Russian Church proposes to designate the special role of Russians in Constitution 10 February 2020, 12:15
- Zelensky invites Pope to visit Ukraine 10 February 2020, 11:58
- Zelensky asks Pope to help with release of Ukrainians in custody in Russia, Donbass 10 February 2020, 11:55
- Alexander Metochion in Jerusalem working as usual, has no info on property handover 05 February 2020, 21:25
- Yakut shaman complains to ECHR 05 February 2020, 18:09
- OCU terminates Filaret's membership in Holy Synod 05 February 2020, 12:27
- Russian Orthodox Church could discontinue practice of blessing WMDs 04 February 2020, 21:05
- Enshrining 'traditional marriage' in constitution at bottom of working group's agenda 04 February 2020, 19:14
- Krasheninnikov against enshrining family, God in constitution 04 February 2020, 18:58
- Pompeo praises Uzbekistan for progress in upholding religious freedom 03 February 2020, 19:17
- Marriage, not family should be defined as union between man and woman in Russian Constitution - Russian Orthodox Church 03 February 2020, 18:04
- Working group to discuss appropriateness of mentioning God in Constitution – Kremlin 03 February 2020, 13:57
- Patriarch Kirill proposes mentioning God in Constitution 02 February 2020, 19:02
- Orthodox society active at Alexander Metochion in Jerusalem still has no info on property transfer to Russia 31 January 2020, 15:14