27 September 2019, 16:51
Russian Orthodox Church calls on media to refrain from labeling Archpriest Stremsky as pedophile before court ruling
Moscow, September 27, Interfax - Russian Orthodox Church spokesperson Vladimir Legoyda has described media attempts to present Ural priest Nikolay Stremsky as undoubtedly guilty as premature.
"So why, when it comes to the participants in the unsanctioned rallies, they're definitely innocent and must be released at once, without court and trial so to say? But if a priest is suspected, then he immediately becomes a 'pedophile priest', before court, before the court ruling," Legoyda wrote on Telegram.
Legoyda said that he is "all for" people being released or their sentence mitigated and that he believes the priest should be punished if found guilty. "But it is up to the court, not the media space, to pronounce him guilty. Until then, no one can label anyone a criminal, only a defendant or a suspect. Otherwise it doesn't look good, ladies and gentlemen! It's quite a liberal value, you see, the presumption of innocence," he said.
Archpriest Nikolay Stremsky, the father superior in charge of the monastery and charitable organization in the Saraktash village, Orenburg Region, was recently charged with rape, sexual abuse, and failure to fulfill obligations in the upbringing of a minor. He was placed under arrest until November 12.
According to the investigators, Stremsky "repeatedly molested six underage foster and adopted children and raped one of them" in the time period of January-August 2018.
Stremsky denied any wrongdoing, saying that the children's testimonies are false.
Metropolitan Veniamin of Orenburg and Saraktash issued a decree banning the priest from administering religious rites for the duration of the investigation.
- Three religious extremists detained in Kazan 20 February 2020, 18:30
- Putin calls to halt any religious discord 20 February 2020, 13:25
- All Russian Orthodox Church parishes in Southeast Asia to pray for riddance of coronavirus 19 February 2020, 18:41
- Court arrests Moscow church attacker 18 February 2020, 19:27
- Investigators file for arrest of suspected assailant of Moscow churchgoers 18 February 2020, 12:18
- Man who attacked people in Moscow church says didn't plan crime, 'got up on wrong side of bed' 17 February 2020, 22:06
- Four members of banned pseudo-religious group convicted in Orenburg Region 17 February 2020, 18:38
- Georgian Church decides not to take part in pan-Orthodox meeting in Jordan 17 February 2020, 18:33
- Romanian Church to agree with granting of tomos to Orthodox Church in Ukraine, provided that Constantinople and Moscow reach consensus - media (updated) 14 February 2020, 21:11
- Karekin II grateful to Syria for recognizing Armenian genocide 14 February 2020, 18:08
- Pan-Orthodox meeting on 'Ukrainian issue' to be held in Amman on Feb 26 (updated) 14 February 2020, 15:08
- No same-sex marriage to be legitimized in Russia as long as I am president - Putin (updated) 13 February 2020, 17:31
- Orthodox leaders to discuss 'Ukrainian issue' in Amman in late Feb (updated) 12 February 2020, 21:28
- CPRF doesn't mind mentioning God in Russian constitution 11 February 2020, 18:30
- Criminal case opened in Transbaikal Territory after searches of residences of suspected Jehovah's Witnesses 10 February 2020, 19:57
- A woman could head the Russian Church synodal department 10 February 2020, 12:34
- Russian Church proposes to designate the special role of Russians in Constitution 10 February 2020, 12:15
- Zelensky invites Pope to visit Ukraine 10 February 2020, 11:58
- Zelensky asks Pope to help with release of Ukrainians in custody in Russia, Donbass 10 February 2020, 11:55
- Alexander Metochion in Jerusalem working as usual, has no info on property handover 05 February 2020, 21:25
- Yakut shaman complains to ECHR 05 February 2020, 18:09
- OCU terminates Filaret's membership in Holy Synod 05 February 2020, 12:27
- Russian Orthodox Church could discontinue practice of blessing WMDs 04 February 2020, 21:05
- Enshrining 'traditional marriage' in constitution at bottom of working group's agenda 04 February 2020, 19:14
- Krasheninnikov against enshrining family, God in constitution 04 February 2020, 18:58
- Pompeo praises Uzbekistan for progress in upholding religious freedom 03 February 2020, 19:17
- Marriage, not family should be defined as union between man and woman in Russian Constitution - Russian Orthodox Church 03 February 2020, 18:04
- Working group to discuss appropriateness of mentioning God in Constitution – Kremlin 03 February 2020, 13:57
- Patriarch Kirill proposes mentioning God in Constitution 02 February 2020, 19:02
- Orthodox society active at Alexander Metochion in Jerusalem still has no info on property transfer to Russia 31 January 2020, 15:14