27 September 2019, 16:03
Defense lawyers for Orenburg priest charged with child sexual abuse appeal his arrest
Orenburg, September 27, Interfax - A lawyer for Archpriest Nikolay Stremsky, the award-winning head of a charity organization in the Orenburg Region, has filed an appeal against his client's arrest, an official with the Orenburg Leninsky District Court told Interfax on Friday.
"The appeal was filed today. The judge will consider it and will decide whether to accept it or not. Then the appeal will be sent to the Orenburg Regional Court, where it will be considered," the source told the agency.
Stremsky, who is the head of the St. Trinity Simeon Charity, an Orthodox organization, is charged with rape, sexual abuse, and failure to fulfill pertinent responsibilities in bringing up an underage person in accordance with the Russian Criminal Code. Orenburg's Leninsky District Court on Wednesday placed him under arrest until November 12. His daughter and father-in-law, who are charged with illegal deprivation of a person's freedom, were also arrested.
According to the investigators, Stremsky "repeatedly molested six underage foster and adopted children, and raped one of them" in the time period of January-August 2018.
According to the statement, investigators additionally established that the priest's adopted daughter Yelena Stremskaya and her husband Viktor Scherbakov "locked up three underage victims in a garage, where they held them for a long time," in August 2018.
Seven underage and small children, who are under Stremsky's foster care or have been adopted by him, are identified as aggrieved parties in this criminal case.
Stremsky did not admit his guilt, saying that the children's testimony is false.
Metropolitan Veniamin of Orenburg and Saraktash issued a decree banning the priest from administering religious rites during the investigation.
The priest's case has been sent to the Central Administration of the Russian Investigative Committee.
One foster child and eight adopted children who lived in the priest's house have now been placed with the child protective services in the Orenburg Region.
In 2006, Stremsky, who is the head of the Russian family with the largest number of children, was presented with the Golden Heart international award, which was established by the Red Cross and the Russian government.
This is not the Stremsky's first run in with the law. In 2015, nine years after receiving the Golden Heart award, the priest again gained press attention after he was detained for drunk driving and resisting arrest.
- Three religious extremists detained in Kazan 20 February 2020, 18:30
- Putin calls to halt any religious discord 20 February 2020, 13:25
- All Russian Orthodox Church parishes in Southeast Asia to pray for riddance of coronavirus 19 February 2020, 18:41
- Court arrests Moscow church attacker 18 February 2020, 19:27
- Investigators file for arrest of suspected assailant of Moscow churchgoers 18 February 2020, 12:18
- Man who attacked people in Moscow church says didn't plan crime, 'got up on wrong side of bed' 17 February 2020, 22:06
- Four members of banned pseudo-religious group convicted in Orenburg Region 17 February 2020, 18:38
- Georgian Church decides not to take part in pan-Orthodox meeting in Jordan 17 February 2020, 18:33
- Romanian Church to agree with granting of tomos to Orthodox Church in Ukraine, provided that Constantinople and Moscow reach consensus - media (updated) 14 February 2020, 21:11
- Karekin II grateful to Syria for recognizing Armenian genocide 14 February 2020, 18:08
- Pan-Orthodox meeting on 'Ukrainian issue' to be held in Amman on Feb 26 (updated) 14 February 2020, 15:08
- No same-sex marriage to be legitimized in Russia as long as I am president - Putin (updated) 13 February 2020, 17:31
- Orthodox leaders to discuss 'Ukrainian issue' in Amman in late Feb (updated) 12 February 2020, 21:28
- CPRF doesn't mind mentioning God in Russian constitution 11 February 2020, 18:30
- Criminal case opened in Transbaikal Territory after searches of residences of suspected Jehovah's Witnesses 10 February 2020, 19:57
- A woman could head the Russian Church synodal department 10 February 2020, 12:34
- Russian Church proposes to designate the special role of Russians in Constitution 10 February 2020, 12:15
- Zelensky invites Pope to visit Ukraine 10 February 2020, 11:58
- Zelensky asks Pope to help with release of Ukrainians in custody in Russia, Donbass 10 February 2020, 11:55
- Alexander Metochion in Jerusalem working as usual, has no info on property handover 05 February 2020, 21:25
- Yakut shaman complains to ECHR 05 February 2020, 18:09
- OCU terminates Filaret's membership in Holy Synod 05 February 2020, 12:27
- Russian Orthodox Church could discontinue practice of blessing WMDs 04 February 2020, 21:05
- Enshrining 'traditional marriage' in constitution at bottom of working group's agenda 04 February 2020, 19:14
- Krasheninnikov against enshrining family, God in constitution 04 February 2020, 18:58
- Pompeo praises Uzbekistan for progress in upholding religious freedom 03 February 2020, 19:17
- Marriage, not family should be defined as union between man and woman in Russian Constitution - Russian Orthodox Church 03 February 2020, 18:04
- Working group to discuss appropriateness of mentioning God in Constitution – Kremlin 03 February 2020, 13:57
- Patriarch Kirill proposes mentioning God in Constitution 02 February 2020, 19:02
- Orthodox society active at Alexander Metochion in Jerusalem still has no info on property transfer to Russia 31 January 2020, 15:14