26 September 2019, 19:58
Gay couple from Russia, who are witnesses in case involving children they adopted, seeking asylum in U.S
Moscow, September 26, Interfax - A same-sex couple with two underage children, whose adoption led to a criminal case against a custody official, has requested political asylum in the United States, the human rights LGBT organization Vykhod told Interfax.
"Andrey Vaganov and Yevgeny Yerofeyev have requested political asylum in the U.S. It is the continuing interest of the Russian law enforcement agencies in the family's life that has led to this," Vykhod said.
A criminal case was opened against custody officials who allowed the adoption of two boys by a gay couple for the first time in Moscow in July. The officials are employees of the social security department of the Maryino neighborhood of the Moscow Southeastern Administrative District. The case was opened based on the improper fulfilment of the duties to exercise control over the living conditions of adopted children resulting from a bad attitude to service that led to considerable violations of the rights and lawful interests of citizens, as well as the interests of the state protected by law.
According to earlier reports, the residences of the couple, and also of the parents and brother of one of the men, were searched. According to the human rights organization, the men are witnesses in the case.
The LGBT initiative groups Stimul, based in Moscow, and Vykhod, based in St. Petersburg, are providing legal assistance to the couple in Russia. "No one contacted the lawyers in the past month and law enforcement agencies are not considering their motions within the periods of time envisaged by law. Under such circumstances, Andrey Vaganov and Yevgeny Yerofeyev have decided not to return to Russia in order to ensure the children's safety," the human rights activists said.
- Russia's historical mission is to keep Europe from breaking away from the Christian tradition - Foreign Intelligence Service chief 22 October 2019, 11:54
- Liberalism not useful for Russians - Russian Orthodox Church's rep 18 October 2019, 18:55
- Ukraine's chief rabbi demands that perpetrators, organizers of anti-Semitic provocation in Kiev be brought to justice 18 October 2019, 15:56
- Russian parish in Miami goes over to Constantinople Patriarchate 18 October 2019, 15:28
- Patriarch Kirill compares abortion practice to pagan sacrifices 18 October 2019, 15:26
- Patriarch Kirill calls on Russians to support ROC on situation with division in global Orthodoxy 18 October 2019, 15:22
- Russian Orthodox Church will not bless pilgrimages to Greek dioceses supporting new church of Ukraine 17 October 2019, 18:26
- Synod authorizes Patriarch Kirill to stop mentioning head of Greek Orthodox Church if it associates itself with OCU 17 October 2019, 17:36
- Traditional moral values, democracy can coexist - Patriarch Kirill 14 October 2019, 20:22
- Patriarch Kirill could visit Korean Peninsula next June 14 October 2019, 20:09
- Holy Synod of Moscow Patriarchate to assess Church of Greece decision to recognize OCU this fall 13 October 2019, 20:45
- Greek Orthodox Church hierarchs recognize OCU autocephaly 13 October 2019, 20:44
- New Syrian constitution must guarantee interests of all ethnic, religious groups - Putin 13 October 2019, 20:36
- Alma-Ata police conduct searches at Jehovah's Witnesses office 13 October 2019, 20:35
- Kardashian was named Egine after baptizing in Armenia 11 October 2019, 10:47
- Three Russian Islamist women accused of killing prison guard in Pakistan 11 October 2019, 10:45
- Man hurt in shooting near monastery in southern Urals 11 October 2019, 10:33
- Today's methods for countering anti-Semitism insufficient - FJCR 11 October 2019, 10:32
- Daughter, son-in-law of Orenburg priest charged with child molestation left in custody 09 October 2019, 14:12
- Two Jehovah's Witnesses released from custody, placed under house arrest in Russia's Primorye 08 October 2019, 13:38
- Kardashian baptized children in Armenia 08 October 2019, 10:12
- Georgian patriarch hopes for German president to facilitate settlement of Transcaucasia's crises 08 October 2019, 10:07
- Patriarch Kirill congratulates Western Europe's 'Russian exarchate' on rejoining Russian Orthodox Church 08 October 2019, 10:03
- Russian Exarchate to keep financial independence, traditions within Russian Orthodox Church 08 October 2019, 10:00
- Russian Orthodox Church Synod includes in it former Constantinople 'Russian exarchate' (updated) 07 October 2019, 15:46
- FJCR announcing two new synagogues in Crimea 04 October 2019, 10:00
- The Maronite Patriarchate denies it has recognized the OCU 04 October 2019, 10:00
- Bashkir hunter shot the priest taking him for a bear 03 October 2019, 11:57
- Chasids leave Uman 02 October 2019, 20:15
- Russian religious donators give Syria school worth $300,000 30 September 2019, 15:57