26 September 2019, 19:58
Gay couple from Russia, who are witnesses in case involving children they adopted, seeking asylum in U.S
Moscow, September 26, Interfax - A same-sex couple with two underage children, whose adoption led to a criminal case against a custody official, has requested political asylum in the United States, the human rights LGBT organization Vykhod told Interfax.
"Andrey Vaganov and Yevgeny Yerofeyev have requested political asylum in the U.S. It is the continuing interest of the Russian law enforcement agencies in the family's life that has led to this," Vykhod said.
A criminal case was opened against custody officials who allowed the adoption of two boys by a gay couple for the first time in Moscow in July. The officials are employees of the social security department of the Maryino neighborhood of the Moscow Southeastern Administrative District. The case was opened based on the improper fulfilment of the duties to exercise control over the living conditions of adopted children resulting from a bad attitude to service that led to considerable violations of the rights and lawful interests of citizens, as well as the interests of the state protected by law.
According to earlier reports, the residences of the couple, and also of the parents and brother of one of the men, were searched. According to the human rights organization, the men are witnesses in the case.
The LGBT initiative groups Stimul, based in Moscow, and Vykhod, based in St. Petersburg, are providing legal assistance to the couple in Russia. "No one contacted the lawyers in the past month and law enforcement agencies are not considering their motions within the periods of time envisaged by law. Under such circumstances, Andrey Vaganov and Yevgeny Yerofeyev have decided not to return to Russia in order to ensure the children's safety," the human rights activists said.
- Court arrests Moscow church attacker 18 February 2020, 19:27
- Investigators file for arrest of suspected assailant of Moscow churchgoers 18 February 2020, 12:18
- Man who attacked people in Moscow church says didn't plan crime, 'got up on wrong side of bed' 17 February 2020, 22:06
- Four members of banned pseudo-religious group convicted in Orenburg Region 17 February 2020, 18:38
- Georgian Church decides not to take part in pan-Orthodox meeting in Jordan 17 February 2020, 18:33
- Romanian Church to agree with granting of tomos to Orthodox Church in Ukraine, provided that Constantinople and Moscow reach consensus - media (updated) 14 February 2020, 21:11
- Karekin II grateful to Syria for recognizing Armenian genocide 14 February 2020, 18:08
- Pan-Orthodox meeting on 'Ukrainian issue' to be held in Amman on Feb 26 (updated) 14 February 2020, 15:08
- No same-sex marriage to be legitimized in Russia as long as I am president - Putin (updated) 13 February 2020, 17:31
- Orthodox leaders to discuss 'Ukrainian issue' in Amman in late Feb (updated) 12 February 2020, 21:28
- CPRF doesn't mind mentioning God in Russian constitution 11 February 2020, 18:30
- Criminal case opened in Transbaikal Territory after searches of residences of suspected Jehovah's Witnesses 10 February 2020, 19:57
- A woman could head the Russian Church synodal department 10 February 2020, 12:34
- Russian Church proposes to designate the special role of Russians in Constitution 10 February 2020, 12:15
- Zelensky invites Pope to visit Ukraine 10 February 2020, 11:58
- Zelensky asks Pope to help with release of Ukrainians in custody in Russia, Donbass 10 February 2020, 11:55
- Alexander Metochion in Jerusalem working as usual, has no info on property handover 05 February 2020, 21:25
- Yakut shaman complains to ECHR 05 February 2020, 18:09
- OCU terminates Filaret's membership in Holy Synod 05 February 2020, 12:27
- Russian Orthodox Church could discontinue practice of blessing WMDs 04 February 2020, 21:05
- Enshrining 'traditional marriage' in constitution at bottom of working group's agenda 04 February 2020, 19:14
- Krasheninnikov against enshrining family, God in constitution 04 February 2020, 18:58
- Pompeo praises Uzbekistan for progress in upholding religious freedom 03 February 2020, 19:17
- Marriage, not family should be defined as union between man and woman in Russian Constitution - Russian Orthodox Church 03 February 2020, 18:04
- Working group to discuss appropriateness of mentioning God in Constitution – Kremlin 03 February 2020, 13:57
- Patriarch Kirill proposes mentioning God in Constitution 02 February 2020, 19:02
- Orthodox society active at Alexander Metochion in Jerusalem still has no info on property transfer to Russia 31 January 2020, 15:14
- Activities of Jehovah's Witnesses stopped in Komi 31 January 2020, 15:11
- Federation of Jewish Communities of Russia doing important work preserving truth about war - Putin 29 January 2020, 14:08
- Conditions for Jewish community comfortable in Russia - Rabbi Lazar 29 January 2020, 14:07