17 September 2019, 18:04
Putin says he sees Israel as Russian-speaking country
Moscow, September 17, Interfax - Russian President Vladimir Putin said he sees Israel as a Russian-speaking country and called Russians and Israelis one family with a common history.
"Citizens of Russia and Israel are bound by ties of family, relatives, and friendship. This is a real network family, a common family. I am saying this without any exaggeration. There are nearly two million Russian-speaking citizens of Israel in this country, and we see Israel as a Russian-speaking state," Putin said at a Keren HaYesod convention on Tuesday.
His words drew laughter and applause.
"Our peoples have common and often tragic pages in history," he said.
The Keren HaYesod Foundation does a lot to preserve the historical truth about WWII, Putin said. "It is important to make generations aware of the truth about the horrible tragedy of the Holocaust, the horrible losses that our peoples suffered, and about the crimes against humanity committed by the Nazis. This is absolutely essential so as to prevent the spread of anti-Semitism, xenophobia, religious, and racial intolerance in the modern world," Putin said.
"Russia and Israel, the peoples of our countries, are the same in that we deem any attempts to revise the outcomes of the war, distort the truth, and vindicate fascism and its henchmen to be absolutely unacceptable," he said.
"The further away WWII events are from us, the greater our responsibility is - both state and personal responsibility - for making sure that its bitter lessons, feats, and sacrifices are never forgotten," Putin said.
He said he was looking forward to seeing the members of the Israeli leadership at ceremonies in Russia marking the 75th anniversary of the victory over Nazi Germany in 2020.
- Russia's historical mission is to keep Europe from breaking away from the Christian tradition - Foreign Intelligence Service chief 22 October 2019, 11:54
- Liberalism not useful for Russians - Russian Orthodox Church's rep 18 October 2019, 18:55
- Ukraine's chief rabbi demands that perpetrators, organizers of anti-Semitic provocation in Kiev be brought to justice 18 October 2019, 15:56
- Russian parish in Miami goes over to Constantinople Patriarchate 18 October 2019, 15:28
- Patriarch Kirill compares abortion practice to pagan sacrifices 18 October 2019, 15:26
- Patriarch Kirill calls on Russians to support ROC on situation with division in global Orthodoxy 18 October 2019, 15:22
- Russian Orthodox Church will not bless pilgrimages to Greek dioceses supporting new church of Ukraine 17 October 2019, 18:26
- Synod authorizes Patriarch Kirill to stop mentioning head of Greek Orthodox Church if it associates itself with OCU 17 October 2019, 17:36
- Traditional moral values, democracy can coexist - Patriarch Kirill 14 October 2019, 20:22
- Patriarch Kirill could visit Korean Peninsula next June 14 October 2019, 20:09
- Holy Synod of Moscow Patriarchate to assess Church of Greece decision to recognize OCU this fall 13 October 2019, 20:45
- Greek Orthodox Church hierarchs recognize OCU autocephaly 13 October 2019, 20:44
- New Syrian constitution must guarantee interests of all ethnic, religious groups - Putin 13 October 2019, 20:36
- Alma-Ata police conduct searches at Jehovah's Witnesses office 13 October 2019, 20:35
- Kardashian was named Egine after baptizing in Armenia 11 October 2019, 10:47
- Three Russian Islamist women accused of killing prison guard in Pakistan 11 October 2019, 10:45
- Man hurt in shooting near monastery in southern Urals 11 October 2019, 10:33
- Today's methods for countering anti-Semitism insufficient - FJCR 11 October 2019, 10:32
- Daughter, son-in-law of Orenburg priest charged with child molestation left in custody 09 October 2019, 14:12
- Two Jehovah's Witnesses released from custody, placed under house arrest in Russia's Primorye 08 October 2019, 13:38
- Kardashian baptized children in Armenia 08 October 2019, 10:12
- Georgian patriarch hopes for German president to facilitate settlement of Transcaucasia's crises 08 October 2019, 10:07
- Patriarch Kirill congratulates Western Europe's 'Russian exarchate' on rejoining Russian Orthodox Church 08 October 2019, 10:03
- Russian Exarchate to keep financial independence, traditions within Russian Orthodox Church 08 October 2019, 10:00
- Russian Orthodox Church Synod includes in it former Constantinople 'Russian exarchate' (updated) 07 October 2019, 15:46
- FJCR announcing two new synagogues in Crimea 04 October 2019, 10:00
- The Maronite Patriarchate denies it has recognized the OCU 04 October 2019, 10:00
- Bashkir hunter shot the priest taking him for a bear 03 October 2019, 11:57
- Chasids leave Uman 02 October 2019, 20:15
- Russian religious donators give Syria school worth $300,000 30 September 2019, 15:57