16 September 2019, 16:26
Return of 'Russian exarchate' became possible due to radical changes in Russian Church, Russia in general - Patriarch Kirill
Moscow, September 16, Interfax - The reunion of the 'Russian exarchate' of Western Europe and Mother Church is a result of many years of work of the Russian people, Patriarch Kirill said.
"Big changes have occurred in the life of the Church recently. And the fact that we are celebrating this wonderful event, the reunion of the last piece of Russia abroad to the Moscow Patriarchate today is not only an achievement of church diplomacy. It is in the first place a result of the radical changes that have taken place in the Russian Orthodox Church over the past few years," the patriarch said at a brotherly lunch in the Church of St. Olga, according to a report posted on the Russian Orthodox Church website on Monday.
To illustrate his words, he spoke about "the huge number of churches, the high parish activity, which does not exist anywhere else in the Christian world, the social, youth, education, and missionary work is developing thanks to the efforts of our clergy and our laymen, people who care about the future of the Church."
"Our country has changed beyond recognition, if it wasn't for the changes in Russia's life, if the appearance of our country was the same as it was several decades ago, no union would have come about," the patriarch said.
On September 14, the Synod of the Russian Orthodox Church included in it the head of the former "Russian exarchate" Constantinople in Western Europe and all parishes that want to follow it. The reason for that decision was the wish of most of the flock to return to Mother Church, from which the exarchate had to separate after the resolution in Russia.
In late 2018, the Constantinople Synod unilaterally abolished the Russian exarchate, which caused the latter to look for new options of its canonical future. At the exarchate meeting in Paris on November 7, most parishes spoke for a return to the Russian Orthodox Church.
"Preconditions for this union were created thanks to the changes in the Church and the country," the patriarch said, adding that he believes what happened is "a result of the huge work" on the part of all people.
- Russia's historical mission is to keep Europe from breaking away from the Christian tradition - Foreign Intelligence Service chief 22 October 2019, 11:54
- Liberalism not useful for Russians - Russian Orthodox Church's rep 18 October 2019, 18:55
- Ukraine's chief rabbi demands that perpetrators, organizers of anti-Semitic provocation in Kiev be brought to justice 18 October 2019, 15:56
- Russian parish in Miami goes over to Constantinople Patriarchate 18 October 2019, 15:28
- Patriarch Kirill compares abortion practice to pagan sacrifices 18 October 2019, 15:26
- Patriarch Kirill calls on Russians to support ROC on situation with division in global Orthodoxy 18 October 2019, 15:22
- Russian Orthodox Church will not bless pilgrimages to Greek dioceses supporting new church of Ukraine 17 October 2019, 18:26
- Synod authorizes Patriarch Kirill to stop mentioning head of Greek Orthodox Church if it associates itself with OCU 17 October 2019, 17:36
- Traditional moral values, democracy can coexist - Patriarch Kirill 14 October 2019, 20:22
- Patriarch Kirill could visit Korean Peninsula next June 14 October 2019, 20:09
- Holy Synod of Moscow Patriarchate to assess Church of Greece decision to recognize OCU this fall 13 October 2019, 20:45
- Greek Orthodox Church hierarchs recognize OCU autocephaly 13 October 2019, 20:44
- New Syrian constitution must guarantee interests of all ethnic, religious groups - Putin 13 October 2019, 20:36
- Alma-Ata police conduct searches at Jehovah's Witnesses office 13 October 2019, 20:35
- Kardashian was named Egine after baptizing in Armenia 11 October 2019, 10:47
- Three Russian Islamist women accused of killing prison guard in Pakistan 11 October 2019, 10:45
- Man hurt in shooting near monastery in southern Urals 11 October 2019, 10:33
- Today's methods for countering anti-Semitism insufficient - FJCR 11 October 2019, 10:32
- Daughter, son-in-law of Orenburg priest charged with child molestation left in custody 09 October 2019, 14:12
- Two Jehovah's Witnesses released from custody, placed under house arrest in Russia's Primorye 08 October 2019, 13:38
- Kardashian baptized children in Armenia 08 October 2019, 10:12
- Georgian patriarch hopes for German president to facilitate settlement of Transcaucasia's crises 08 October 2019, 10:07
- Patriarch Kirill congratulates Western Europe's 'Russian exarchate' on rejoining Russian Orthodox Church 08 October 2019, 10:03
- Russian Exarchate to keep financial independence, traditions within Russian Orthodox Church 08 October 2019, 10:00
- Russian Orthodox Church Synod includes in it former Constantinople 'Russian exarchate' (updated) 07 October 2019, 15:46
- FJCR announcing two new synagogues in Crimea 04 October 2019, 10:00
- The Maronite Patriarchate denies it has recognized the OCU 04 October 2019, 10:00
- Bashkir hunter shot the priest taking him for a bear 03 October 2019, 11:57
- Chasids leave Uman 02 October 2019, 20:15
- Russian religious donators give Syria school worth $300,000 30 September 2019, 15:57