16 September 2019, 13:20
Israel condemns defacing of monument to Holocaust victims in Ukraine's Nikolaev Region, demands perpetrators be punished
Kiev, September 16, Interfax - Ukrainian police have opened two criminal cases into the defacing of a monument to the Holocaust victims in the village of Bogdanovka, the Nikolaev Region.
The regional police department said on its Facebook account on Monday that the law enforcement had been notified by local residents on September 15 that a memorial sign to the Holocaust victims in Bogdanovka had been defaced.
Investigators began criminal proceedings on a count of "defacing or destruction of a communal grave or a tomb of the unknown soldier, a monument built in commemoration of those who fought against Nazism during WWII."
They additionally opened a criminal case on a count of "violation of the people's equality depending on their race, ethnicity, religion, disability, or other grounds."
Israeli Ambassador to Ukraine Joel Lion condemned the vandalizing of the monument.
"This is an anti-Semitic hate crime, no doubt, I'm calling upon the Ukrainian government to strongly condemn this crime and promptly bring the perpetrators to justice," Lion wrote on Twitter.
Ukrainian Deputy Foreign Minister Sergey Kislitsa also insisted on investigating the crime.
"This shameful act of vandalism of strong antisemitic manifestation, use of Nazi symbols must be investigated by police&charges pressed against suspects. Jews&their heritage is part of Ukraine's history&present hence it's crime against Ukraine by its enemies," he wrote on Twitter.
- Russia's historical mission is to keep Europe from breaking away from the Christian tradition - Foreign Intelligence Service chief 22 October 2019, 11:54
- Liberalism not useful for Russians - Russian Orthodox Church's rep 18 October 2019, 18:55
- Ukraine's chief rabbi demands that perpetrators, organizers of anti-Semitic provocation in Kiev be brought to justice 18 October 2019, 15:56
- Russian parish in Miami goes over to Constantinople Patriarchate 18 October 2019, 15:28
- Patriarch Kirill compares abortion practice to pagan sacrifices 18 October 2019, 15:26
- Patriarch Kirill calls on Russians to support ROC on situation with division in global Orthodoxy 18 October 2019, 15:22
- Russian Orthodox Church will not bless pilgrimages to Greek dioceses supporting new church of Ukraine 17 October 2019, 18:26
- Synod authorizes Patriarch Kirill to stop mentioning head of Greek Orthodox Church if it associates itself with OCU 17 October 2019, 17:36
- Traditional moral values, democracy can coexist - Patriarch Kirill 14 October 2019, 20:22
- Patriarch Kirill could visit Korean Peninsula next June 14 October 2019, 20:09
- Holy Synod of Moscow Patriarchate to assess Church of Greece decision to recognize OCU this fall 13 October 2019, 20:45
- Greek Orthodox Church hierarchs recognize OCU autocephaly 13 October 2019, 20:44
- New Syrian constitution must guarantee interests of all ethnic, religious groups - Putin 13 October 2019, 20:36
- Alma-Ata police conduct searches at Jehovah's Witnesses office 13 October 2019, 20:35
- Kardashian was named Egine after baptizing in Armenia 11 October 2019, 10:47
- Three Russian Islamist women accused of killing prison guard in Pakistan 11 October 2019, 10:45
- Man hurt in shooting near monastery in southern Urals 11 October 2019, 10:33
- Today's methods for countering anti-Semitism insufficient - FJCR 11 October 2019, 10:32
- Daughter, son-in-law of Orenburg priest charged with child molestation left in custody 09 October 2019, 14:12
- Two Jehovah's Witnesses released from custody, placed under house arrest in Russia's Primorye 08 October 2019, 13:38
- Kardashian baptized children in Armenia 08 October 2019, 10:12
- Georgian patriarch hopes for German president to facilitate settlement of Transcaucasia's crises 08 October 2019, 10:07
- Patriarch Kirill congratulates Western Europe's 'Russian exarchate' on rejoining Russian Orthodox Church 08 October 2019, 10:03
- Russian Exarchate to keep financial independence, traditions within Russian Orthodox Church 08 October 2019, 10:00
- Russian Orthodox Church Synod includes in it former Constantinople 'Russian exarchate' (updated) 07 October 2019, 15:46
- FJCR announcing two new synagogues in Crimea 04 October 2019, 10:00
- The Maronite Patriarchate denies it has recognized the OCU 04 October 2019, 10:00
- Bashkir hunter shot the priest taking him for a bear 03 October 2019, 11:57
- Chasids leave Uman 02 October 2019, 20:15
- Russian religious donators give Syria school worth $300,000 30 September 2019, 15:57