12 August 2019, 14:53
Gay couple with adopted children can't return to Russia yet - rights activists
Moscow, August 12, Interfax - The same-sex family raising two children currently cannot return to Russia for fear of violations of the family's privacy, the LGBT human rights community Vykhod told Interfax.
"The return is hindered by the actions of law enforcement agencies, which cast doubt on the safety and security of the family's private life. In this situation, the family has not yet decided whether it is safe for them to return to Russia. They are now on vacation until early September, when the school year starts. The main thing for the parents is to protect their family and create a safe space for their children. Therefore, the couple and the children relocated to a different country after their vacation in Kiev (we cannot specify the country for safety reasons)," human rights activists said.
According to earlier reports, a criminal case against the child protective service officials who allowed the adoption of two boys by a gay couple had been opened in Moscow, the first of its kind.
The Main Investigative Directorate of the Russian Investigative Committee has opened a criminal case against officials of the social protection services in the Maryino neighborhood of Moscow's Southeastern Administrative District. The officials have been charged with improper fulfilment of duties to supervise the living conditions of adopted children due to negligence leading to a considerable violation of the rights and lawful interests of citizens, as well as the interests of the state protected by law, the press service for the Russian Investigative Committee told Interfax.
"According to the investigators, a man has raised two young adopted boys while living with another man since 2010. He promotes non-traditional relations, cultivating in the children distorted ideas of family values, harming their health and moral and spiritual development," the Investigative Committee said.
The residences of the gay couple and the parents and the brother of one of the men were then searched. According to the organization, the men are witnesses in the case. They had not been notified about the searches, which were conducted when they were on vacation abroad, Vykhod said. They do not plan to return.
The lawyers for the family are now trying to become familiar with the materials of the probes and the protocols of investigative actions, but they are not being given any documents and their written inquiries are being ignored. The searches will be appealed in court this week. The defense attorneys are confident that the searches of the residences of the "witnesses" (the case was in fact opened against the child protective services) and the way they were conducted (early in the morning, the door to the apartment was broken) are "nothing else than an attempt to pressure a same-sex couple to take the children from them."
"The parents and the children are now in a safe country. One of the reasons why it happened is that high-ranking officials interfere in family affairs, forcing their own ideas of life on society and trying to take the case from the legal realm to a political one. The same-sex parents have not broken any laws and therefore the pressure on them should immediately stop. The children want to live with their parents," Max Olenichev, a legal adviser with the LBGT group Vykhod, told Interfax.
The Russian Family Code does not prohibit adoptions of children by single people, LGBT group Vykhod said.
- Court arrests Moscow church attacker 18 February 2020, 19:27
- Investigators file for arrest of suspected assailant of Moscow churchgoers 18 February 2020, 12:18
- Man who attacked people in Moscow church says didn't plan crime, 'got up on wrong side of bed' 17 February 2020, 22:06
- Four members of banned pseudo-religious group convicted in Orenburg Region 17 February 2020, 18:38
- Georgian Church decides not to take part in pan-Orthodox meeting in Jordan 17 February 2020, 18:33
- Romanian Church to agree with granting of tomos to Orthodox Church in Ukraine, provided that Constantinople and Moscow reach consensus - media (updated) 14 February 2020, 21:11
- Karekin II grateful to Syria for recognizing Armenian genocide 14 February 2020, 18:08
- Pan-Orthodox meeting on 'Ukrainian issue' to be held in Amman on Feb 26 (updated) 14 February 2020, 15:08
- No same-sex marriage to be legitimized in Russia as long as I am president - Putin (updated) 13 February 2020, 17:31
- Orthodox leaders to discuss 'Ukrainian issue' in Amman in late Feb (updated) 12 February 2020, 21:28
- CPRF doesn't mind mentioning God in Russian constitution 11 February 2020, 18:30
- Criminal case opened in Transbaikal Territory after searches of residences of suspected Jehovah's Witnesses 10 February 2020, 19:57
- A woman could head the Russian Church synodal department 10 February 2020, 12:34
- Russian Church proposes to designate the special role of Russians in Constitution 10 February 2020, 12:15
- Zelensky invites Pope to visit Ukraine 10 February 2020, 11:58
- Zelensky asks Pope to help with release of Ukrainians in custody in Russia, Donbass 10 February 2020, 11:55
- Alexander Metochion in Jerusalem working as usual, has no info on property handover 05 February 2020, 21:25
- Yakut shaman complains to ECHR 05 February 2020, 18:09
- OCU terminates Filaret's membership in Holy Synod 05 February 2020, 12:27
- Russian Orthodox Church could discontinue practice of blessing WMDs 04 February 2020, 21:05
- Enshrining 'traditional marriage' in constitution at bottom of working group's agenda 04 February 2020, 19:14
- Krasheninnikov against enshrining family, God in constitution 04 February 2020, 18:58
- Pompeo praises Uzbekistan for progress in upholding religious freedom 03 February 2020, 19:17
- Marriage, not family should be defined as union between man and woman in Russian Constitution - Russian Orthodox Church 03 February 2020, 18:04
- Working group to discuss appropriateness of mentioning God in Constitution – Kremlin 03 February 2020, 13:57
- Patriarch Kirill proposes mentioning God in Constitution 02 February 2020, 19:02
- Orthodox society active at Alexander Metochion in Jerusalem still has no info on property transfer to Russia 31 January 2020, 15:14
- Activities of Jehovah's Witnesses stopped in Komi 31 January 2020, 15:11
- Federation of Jewish Communities of Russia doing important work preserving truth about war - Putin 29 January 2020, 14:08
- Conditions for Jewish community comfortable in Russia - Rabbi Lazar 29 January 2020, 14:07