07 August 2019, 20:39
Vilnius synagogue closes due to local Jews' safety fears
Moscow, August 7, Interfax - Senior members of the Lithuanian Jewish community have decided to close its office and the synagogue in Vilnius for safety reasons.
"Amid the escalating tension, neither our community nor the synagogue have the possibility to ensure the safety of the people coming here, some of whom were victims of the Nazi during Holocaust," the community was quoted by the Rossiyskaya Gazeta newspaper as saying in a statement.
The surge in anti-Semitism occurred after a plaque commemorating "forest brother" Jonas Norejka was removed from the facade of the Lithuanian Sciences' Academy library. It was removed at the behest of Vilnius Mayor Remigijus Simasius who said there was evidence of Norejka's involvement in the creation of a Jewish ghetto. The move prompted mixed reactions, the country's president called for a moratorium on the "erasing of historical memory."
"That the anti-Semitic comments and posts (even the Christians' Saint Mary was called a Jew), published by parties and their chairmen on their accounts open to the general public, remain unpunished makes one think twice if we are safe. We would like to hear the opinion and clear position of Lithuanian leaders, whether Lithuania will continue to connive in public propaganda in support of the veneration of the people involved in the extermination of Jews," the community said.
The authors of the statement have asked for protection from potential vandal attacks at the local Jewish cemetery.
The newspaper cited archival data which said that the extermination of Lithuanian Jews began before the Nazi came. In the first five months of 1941 over 200,000 women, old people and children, or 98% of the Jewish population, were killed. After the war experts recognized that this proportion was highest among Nazi-occupied countries.
In recent years Russia's Jewish community has expressed its protest against nationalist marches in Lithuania with placard photos of recognized war criminals.
- Head of the Jewish community of Russia approves of rejuvenation procedures 19 September 2019, 21:35
- The court in Ukraine returns citizenship to the deported rector of the Desyatinny Monastery 19 September 2019, 20:38
- Urals Economics University not to expel student over contacts with LGBT 19 September 2019, 18:18
- Kadyrov ready for dialogue with PACE rep on rights of LGBT persons in Chechnya, although finds problem far-fetched 19 September 2019, 18:13
- High-ranking Culture Ministry official charged with misappropriating money provided for restoration of Solovki objects 19 September 2019, 18:12
- Russian Orthodox Church initiates probe into possible infringement of rights of people prosecuted after Moscow summer riots 18 September 2019, 20:36
- Priests' letter in support of protesters is political declaration - Russian Orthodox Church 18 September 2019, 20:05
- Seventeen clandestine ISIL cells uncovered in Russia in 2019 17 September 2019, 18:06
- Putin says he sees Israel as Russian-speaking country 17 September 2019, 18:04
- Parishioners of the "Russian exarchate" in Paris enthusiastic about joining the Russian Orthodox Church 16 September 2019, 17:45
- Return of 'Russian exarchate' became possible due to radical changes in Russian Church, Russia in general - Patriarch Kirill 16 September 2019, 16:26
- Russian Orthodox Church denies rumors that head of Russian Church Abroad is missing 16 September 2019, 16:25
- Israel condemns defacing of monument to Holocaust victims in Ukraine's Nikolaev Region, demands perpetrators be punished 16 September 2019, 13:20
- The Russian Church about return of “Russian exarchate” parishes under its jurisdiction: a long way is almost accomplished 14 September 2019, 21:29
- Head of "Russian exarchate" of Constantinople joins Russian Orthodox Church 14 September 2019, 18:44
- Imam Velitov, convicted for justification of terrorism, leaves colony in Astrakhan 13 September 2019, 16:52
- Ukrainian court freezes "Kiev Patriarchate" liquidation 12 September 2019, 20:25
- Priest Alexander Volkov dismissed from the post of patriarchal press secretary 12 September 2019, 20:22
- Orthodox Businessman Malofeyev to leave A Just Russia 6 months after joining it 12 September 2019, 17:23
- Common moral, ethical values of all religions in Russia ensure state stability of country - Putin 12 September 2019, 17:21
- Guilt of men charged with attempted murder of Imam Chumakov unproven - Ingushetia jury 11 September 2019, 10:53
- State Dept. announces sanctions against 2 high-ranking Surgut investigators over Jehovah's Witnesses case (updated) 10 September 2019, 18:48
- The Russian Church official call modern Russian men a "national tragedy" 09 September 2019, 11:56
- The Russian Church will accept communities of the "Russian exarchate" ready to join it 09 September 2019, 11:20
- Russian Orthodox Church to continue reunification consultations with "Russian exarchate" 09 September 2019, 11:00
- Russian Jews to unveil monument to Roma victims of Nazism 05 September 2019, 16:00
- Jerusalem Patriarch takes the side of Russian Church in the "Ukrainian question" 05 September 2019, 15:57
- Constantinople appoints head of "Russian exarchate" a metropolitan responsible for establishing new church in Ukraine 05 September 2019, 13:06
- "Russian exarchate" in Europe refused to subordinate to Constantinople 04 September 2019, 10:54
- Some 40,000 Hasidic pilgrims expected to attend Rosh Hashanah celebration in Ukraine 03 September 2019, 11:07