07 August 2019, 20:39
Vilnius synagogue closes due to local Jews' safety fears
Moscow, August 7, Interfax - Senior members of the Lithuanian Jewish community have decided to close its office and the synagogue in Vilnius for safety reasons.
"Amid the escalating tension, neither our community nor the synagogue have the possibility to ensure the safety of the people coming here, some of whom were victims of the Nazi during Holocaust," the community was quoted by the Rossiyskaya Gazeta newspaper as saying in a statement.
The surge in anti-Semitism occurred after a plaque commemorating "forest brother" Jonas Norejka was removed from the facade of the Lithuanian Sciences' Academy library. It was removed at the behest of Vilnius Mayor Remigijus Simasius who said there was evidence of Norejka's involvement in the creation of a Jewish ghetto. The move prompted mixed reactions, the country's president called for a moratorium on the "erasing of historical memory."
"That the anti-Semitic comments and posts (even the Christians' Saint Mary was called a Jew), published by parties and their chairmen on their accounts open to the general public, remain unpunished makes one think twice if we are safe. We would like to hear the opinion and clear position of Lithuanian leaders, whether Lithuania will continue to connive in public propaganda in support of the veneration of the people involved in the extermination of Jews," the community said.
The authors of the statement have asked for protection from potential vandal attacks at the local Jewish cemetery.
The newspaper cited archival data which said that the extermination of Lithuanian Jews began before the Nazi came. In the first five months of 1941 over 200,000 women, old people and children, or 98% of the Jewish population, were killed. After the war experts recognized that this proportion was highest among Nazi-occupied countries.
In recent years Russia's Jewish community has expressed its protest against nationalist marches in Lithuania with placard photos of recognized war criminals.
- Al-Assad asks for Russian language teachers in Syria to counter Western culture and Wahhabism - Russian MP 20 August 2019, 15:28
- Ukraine has made a great contribution to combating antisemitism - Netanyahu 19 August 2019, 18:19
- Ukrainian Autocephalous Orthodox Church ceases to exist 14 August 2019, 20:12
- Over 60% of Russians identify as Orthodox, 1 out of every 6 is atheist - poll 14 August 2019, 13:51
- Russian Orthodox Church offers "Russian exarchate" to join it preserving its statute and traditions 12 August 2019, 15:33
- Gay couple with adopted children can't return to Russia yet - rights activists 12 August 2019, 14:53
- Zelensky discusses Crimea, Donbass with Patriarch Bartholomew 09 August 2019, 11:58
- Ukrainian Orthodox Church sees good signal in Zelensky's remarks at meeting with Patriarch Bartholomew 08 August 2019, 20:25
- Zelensky promises Patriarch Bartholomew: state won't interfere in church affairs 08 August 2019, 16:51
- Russian Jewish community leader calls news of Vilnius Synagogue closure frightening 08 August 2019, 14:31
- Vilnius synagogue closes due to local Jews' safety fears 07 August 2019, 20:39
- The battles of Stalingrad, Moscow to be depicted at facades of the main church of Russian military forces 07 August 2019, 17:25
- The Russian Orthodox Church criticizes the project of 'futuristic' church in Moscow 07 August 2019, 17:23
- Patriarch Kirill sends condolences to Trump over deadly shootings in Texas, Ohio 06 August 2019, 13:18
- U.S. consul general denies Washington's involvement in Yekaterinburg protests 05 August 2019, 18:47
- Zelensky planning to meet with Erdogan, Patriarch Bartholomew during Turkey visit 05 August 2019, 11:48
- Vatican embassy describes reports on pontiff's visit to Russia on May 9, 2020, as rumors 01 August 2019, 16:21
- Patriarch Kirill sees the threat of restricting human freedom in digital technologies 01 August 2019, 15:52
- Baikal shamans bring sheep and vodka to their gods to help extinguishing fire 01 August 2019, 15:50
- 300,000 Ukrainian Orthodox Church believers participate in the procession with cross on the Day of Russia’s Baptism 29 July 2019, 10:59
- Ukrainian Orthodox Church hopes Zelensky's anti-raiding decree will affect religious sphere 24 July 2019, 17:22
- Pope Francis of Rome congratulates Russian opera singer Svetlana Kasyan on her birthday 24 July 2019, 16:29
- Court of Appeal recognized illegal the Ukrainian state’s attempt to rename the Ukrainian Orthodox Church 24 July 2019, 13:56
- Religion section editor of Dagestani newspaper charged with financing terrorism 24 July 2019, 13:22
- The Russian Church warns that Trump's taxes on Chinese goods may lead to crisis of Christian mission in the USA 22 July 2019, 16:35
- Sagrada Familia and Notre Dame listed among five most frequently photoed sights 22 July 2019, 13:56
- "Contemporary" church to be built in the Setun valley in Moscow 22 July 2019, 11:38
- Georgian campaigners for gay propaganda ban hand out treats for signatures 22 July 2019, 11:34
- Icons presented to Putin and Lukashenko at Konevets monastery near St. Petersburg 18 July 2019, 11:58
- Russian Church hopes authorities will not impede Christianization Day procession in Ukraine 18 July 2019, 11:13