05 June 2006, 12:00
Patriarchate of Constantinople hierarchs prayed together with canonically unrecognized bishop in Ukraine
Moscow, June 5, Interfax - Two hierarchs of the Patriarchate of Constantinople prayed at Divine liturgy celebrated on Sunday by Archbishop Makary Maletich of Lvov. He is a hierarch of the unrecognized Ukrainian autocephalous Orthodox church (UAOC.)
An UAOC source reported Interfax on Monday that these were archbishop Vsevolod Maidansky who lives in Chicago and is a hierarch of the Ukrainian orthodox church of the USA under the jurisdiction of the Patriarchate of Constantinople and bishop Hilarion Rudnik charged by the Patriarchate of Constantinople to care for the Ukrainians living in Portugal and Spain.
‘According to the interviewee, representatives of the Patriarchate of Constantinople arrived in Ukraine to ‘develop brotherly elations’ with the UAOC. It is expected that a metochion (official representation) of the Patriarch of Constantinople will be opened in Lvov with the consent of city authorities in the immediate future.
The representation is to be opened in the Church of the Assumption seized by the UAOC representatives in 1989. It was a parish of the Moscow Patriarchate before the seizure. Archbishop Vsevolod and bishop Hilarion are going to celebrate a liturgy in this church and appoint archimandrite Philip its rector. Earlier he was rector of a UOC of the USA church in Indiana.
Archbishop Augustin of Lvov and Galich of the Ukrainian Orthodox Church (Moscow Patriarchate) told an Interfax correspondent he was ‘embarrassed and staggered’ by the fact that guests from the Patriarchate of Constantinople had not found it pertinent to notify him as a canonical hierarch of the Lvov diocese about their visit, but instead ‘visited the schismatics and prayed at their service thus making an impression that the Church of Constantinople is in communion with a schismatic group rather than with the canonical Church recognized by the whole Orthodox world.’
‘Brothers ought not to behave like that. Moreover, this is an obvious violation of the holy canons of the Orthodox church,’ archbishop Augustin said.
He further said that representatives of Constantinople had informed neither him, nor the primate of the Ukrainian Orthodox church Metropolitan Vladimir of Kiev and all Ukraine about plans to open their official representation in the church seized by the UAOC representatives.
Archbishop Augustin says it is not the first event of the kind. In 2000, archbishop Vsevolod Maidansky attended the funeral of the UAOC patriarch Dimitry Jarema and said funeral prayers. ‘However, archbishop Vsevolod asked my pardon,’ archbishop Augustin remarked and added that ‘he reprimanded a Constantinopolitan hierarch for his uncanonical behaviour.’
In March 2005, archbishop Vsevolod met with the Ukrainian President Victor Yuschenko and said that the Patriarchate of Constantinople did not recognize Ukraine as a part of the canonical territory of the Moscow Patriarchate. The Patriarchate of Constantinople has neither confirmed, nor refuted this statement when inquired by the Moscow Patriarchate.
Last spring, the chancellor of the Ukrainian Orthodox church Archbishop Mitrofan of Pereyaslav-Khmelnitsky denounced ‘backstage deals’ of the Ukrainian political authorities with Constantinople and expressed his concern and anxiety about the visits to Ukraine of representatives of the Ukrainian Orthodox church in the USA under the jurisdiction of the Patriarch of Constantinople, including archbishop Vsevolod Maidansky, ‘behind the back of the primate of the largest canonical Ukrainian Orthodox church’ Metropolitan Vladimir.
- Hegumeness of Sredneuralsky Convent calls on followers of schismatic schema-monk Sergy to come to their senses 03 August 2020, 16:52
- Ways to bypass coronavirus-related entry ban for pilgrimage to Ukraine being advertised in Israel 03 August 2020, 14:01
- Top Russian Orthodox priest speaks out against contraception 03 August 2020, 13:40
- Patriarch Kirill says there is not a drop of truth in rumors about his wealth 03 August 2020, 11:56
- Christianization of Rus was the main revolution in Russian history - Patriarch Kirill 28 July 2020, 20:26
- Poroshenko 'proud' of tomos criminal case against him 28 July 2020, 18:49
- Half of Georgian residents agree that faith helps protect against coronavirus - poll 28 July 2020, 16:54
- Russian Foreign Ministry sends notes of protest to Western states' embassies over LGBT flags hoisted on their buildings 28 July 2020, 14:04
- Kyrgyz Muslim board cancels Eid al-Adha collective prayers due to Covid-19 28 July 2020, 12:08
- Russian Orthodox Church calls for learning lessons from Hagia Sophia's transformation into mosque, Nantes Cathedral arson 27 July 2020, 17:00
- About three billion rubles donated annually for construction of Orthodox churches in Moscow 27 July 2020, 15:20
- Russian Church calls female circumcision barbaric 27 July 2020, 10:18
- Russian metropolitan is ready to become a volunteer for a coronavirus vaccine trial 27 July 2020, 10:15
- Patriarch Kirill obliges mother superior of a Moscow monastery to sell her luxury Mercedes 27 July 2020, 10:07
- Ukraine proposes to introduce fine for promoting homosexuality 24 July 2020, 19:43
- Former schema-hegumen not planning to leave Sredneuralsky Convent 24 July 2020, 19:38
- Patriarch Kirill approves decision of Yekaterinburg Diocese's court to defrock monk Sergy (Romanov) 24 July 2020, 11:25
- Patriarch Kirill calls on Armenia, Azerbaijan to have dialogue 24 July 2020, 10:57
- Fourteen nuns leave Sredneuralsky Convent taken over by former schema-hegumen 23 July 2020, 18:08
- FSB detains over 20 Islamic Movement of Uzbekistan terrorists in Moscow, Novosibirsk, Krasnoyarsk Territory 23 July 2020, 15:22
- Putin, Greek PM discuss situation surrounding Hagia Sofia Cathedral in Istanbul 23 July 2020, 10:18
- Charter flight with Chassids onboard arrived at Transcarpathia 22 July 2020, 17:13
- Residents of Altai are outraged with the tourists who hook medical masks on the trees "for ghosts" 22 July 2020, 16:32
- Yakutian 'shaman' Gabyshev discharged from mental hospital 22 July 2020, 14:26
- Construction of main Olympic team church has started in the south-west Moscow 20 July 2020, 18:19
- One UK, 6 U.S. NGOs designated undesirable in Russia (updated) 20 July 2020, 15:01
- St. Nicholas Cathedral in Nice nominated for the best architectural monument of France in 2020 20 July 2020, 14:59
- Russian Orthodox Church Synod calls on global community to keep special status of Hagia Sophia in Istanbul 17 July 2020, 16:32
- Change of Hagia Sophia status Turkey's internal affair - Dodon 17 July 2020, 15:36
- Lot of work to do investigating killing of Emperor Nicholas II, family members - Russian Investigative Committee 17 July 2020, 12:25