18 July 2019, 11:58
Icons presented to Putin and Lukashenko at Konevets monastery near St. Petersburg
Moscow, July 18, Interfax - Antique icons were presented to Russian President Vladimir Putin and Belarusian President Alexander Lukashenko after a visit to the Konevets Monastery of the Holy Nativity of the Mother of God.
The two presidents visited Valaam on Wednesday. Subsequently, on their way to St. Petersburg, they made a stopover on Konevets Island in the western part of Ladoga Lake and visited the monastery.
A 19th-century icon of the Mother God of Konevets was presented to Putin at the monastery. A similar icon was given to Lukashenko. The Rossiya-24 (VGTRK) TV channel broadcast the presidents' visit to the monastery.
The Konevets Monastery of the Holy Nativity of the Mother of God was founded in 1393. It flourished in the 19th century. The territory where the monastery is located fell into Finland's hands after the 1917 October Revolution. Its buildings were damaged during World War II. In Soviet times, Konevets Island was home to a naval base and sailors used the monastery's buildings for their own needs. Subsequently, a decision was adopted to rebuild the monastery. It was returned to the Russian Orthodox Church in 1990. Its restoration began in 2016 on Putin's orders.
Today it is an active monastery. Infrastructure for pilgrims and tourists and a pier have already been built. Most of the monastery's buildings have been restored.
- Defense team for Yakutia's shaman Gabyshev asks ECHR for urgent effort toward his release 26 May 2020, 13:56
- Chief rabbi of Russia believes attention to our neighbors to be the main achievement of the pandemic 25 May 2020, 16:12
- Coronavirus may be part of biopsychological war - Russian Orthodox Church 25 May 2020, 15:09
- Kiev Lavra of the Caves reopens following quarantine 25 May 2020, 14:03
- Police talked to Metropolitan Longin of Saratov as he came to the market without a mask 22 May 2020, 18:08
- Chairman of coordination center of North Caucasus Muslims hospitalized in Moscow 22 May 2020, 18:07
- The Federation of Jewish Communities of Russia to deliver 240 tons of Kosher food to those in need 22 May 2020, 17:43
- Russian Orthodox Church speaker calls its financial situation extremely difficult 22 May 2020, 16:52
- St. Petersburg's Evening Light charity to appeal designation of U.S. preacher Branham's materials as extremist 22 May 2020, 13:38
- Russian Orthodox Church organizes donation of blood from people who recovered from coronavirus 21 May 2020, 16:47
- Moldovan PM, in response to Synod's threats, calls for praying for Orthodox clergy's clarity of mind 21 May 2020, 12:55
- Muslims of Tatarstan to celebrate Eid al-Fitr in their homes 21 May 2020, 10:22
- Russian Orthodox Church yet to decide whether Patriarch Kirill will visit Serbia in Oct 20 May 2020, 19:50
- Moldovan Orthodox Church says Bill Gates, 5G dangerous for mankind 20 May 2020, 19:46
- Rabbi Lazar believes pandemic is a result of people's disassociation 20 May 2020, 13:35
- Archpriest Dimitry Smirnov recovered from coronavirus 19 May 2020, 21:04
- Jews all over the world celebrate the Victory Day according to the Jewish calendar 19 May 2020, 12:15
- Putin recommends Russian Muslims celebrate Eid al-Fitr at home (updated) 18 May 2020, 16:30
- World Russian People's Assembly, led by Patriarch Kirill, demands investigation into causes of pandemic 18 May 2020, 13:38
- LGBT activists in Georgia hold annual rally online due to pandemic 18 May 2020, 11:39
- Life has become a priority first time in Russian history during Covid-19 pandemic - Jewish leader 15 May 2020, 12:22
- Family climate worsens for 10% of Russians in self-isolation, 19% claim opposite - poll 14 May 2020, 18:53
- Eid al-Fitr will not cause crowds outside Moscow's main mosque this year due to coronavirus 14 May 2020, 18:49
- Yakut shaman Gabyshev forcibly taken to mental hospital 12 May 2020, 19:07
- Annual Jewish parade to commemorate the end of epidemic will be held online 12 May 2020, 13:13
- Metropolitan Hilarion opposes Stalin's mosaic portrait at Russia's Armed Forces main church 12 May 2020, 10:26
- Chief rabbi of Russia calls it symbolic that global struggle against coronavirus coincides with jubilee of the Victory 08 May 2020, 16:09
- Archpriest Dimitry Smirnov hospitalized with suspected coronavirus 08 May 2020, 15:27
- "Jewish" Victory Day won't be postponed because of coronavirus 07 May 2020, 17:54
- Tradition to celebrate birthdays with homeless people appeared in Moscow during the pandemic 07 May 2020, 17:51