17 July 2019, 18:36
The Russian Church warns Constantinople about probable awkward situation its officials can face in Kiev on the Day of Russia's Baptism
Moscow, July 17, Interfax - The Constantinople Patriarchate's delegation that is going to visit Kiev on the Feast of Russia's Baptism on July 28, can be disappointed by the things they see there, the Russian Orthodox Church official warns.
"It is announced that guests from the Constantinople Patriarchate will come to Kiev, but there can be inconvenient situation of comparing the number at the two processions with cross", deputy head of the Department for External Church Relations Archpriest Nikolay Balashov said at a Wednesday press conference in Moscow.
He explained that he meant a festival procession with cross of the canonical Ukrainian Orthodox Church held on the eve of the feast on July 27, and a march from St. Vladimir Cathedral to the St. Vladimir Hill of "the so-called Orthodox church of Ukraine" set up last year and supported by Constantinople and Ukrainian authorities. Last year the canonical Orthodox Church gathered 250,000 believers at its processions with cross, while the march of the non-canonical church attracted only several thousands of people.
"It is not clear how it will turn out to be this year. The thing is that St. Vladimir Cathedral is administered by so-called honorable patriarch Filaret, who, as we know, is not satisfied with "this honorable role" and restored "the Kiev Patriarchate," Father Nikolay said. "It is difficult to say with whom Constantinople officials will be in this situation and where a liturgy of the newly-established church will take place."
He is also perplexed with intentions of the Constantinople Patriarchate to bring a particle of St. Andrew's relics to Kiev celebrations.
"Perhaps, Constantinople does not know: there is a particle of St. Andrew's relics in the Kiev Lavra of the Caves and also in Odessa in our canonical Ukrainian Church," the priest said supposing that bringing of the relics was organized "to somehow settle the problem of evident dominance in number of the canonical Church believers over believers of the artificially set up from schismatics."
- Russian army's main church due to open on June 22 29 May 2020, 17:38
- The quarantine time is optimal for spiritual growth, Patriarch Kirill believes 29 May 2020, 13:10
- Defense team of Yakutia's shaman Gabyshev challenges his commitment to psychiatric hospital in court 29 May 2020, 11:50
- Trial of Aum Shinrikyo's Russian cell head begins in Rostov-on-Don 27 May 2020, 21:23
- Siberian hermit Agafya Lykova does not know much about coronavirus, but prays for the sick 27 May 2020, 18:17
- The Protection Monastery in Moscow with St. Matrona relics opened for parishioners in spite of the acting ban of Russian Church 27 May 2020, 17:04
- Yekaterinburg diocese bans services of priest who cursed those who close churches over pandemic 27 May 2020, 11:17
- Defense team for Yakutia's shaman Gabyshev asks ECHR for urgent effort toward his release 26 May 2020, 13:56
- Chief rabbi of Russia believes attention to our neighbors to be the main achievement of the pandemic 25 May 2020, 16:12
- Coronavirus may be part of biopsychological war - Russian Orthodox Church 25 May 2020, 15:09
- Kiev Lavra of the Caves reopens following quarantine 25 May 2020, 14:03
- Police talked to Metropolitan Longin of Saratov as he came to the market without a mask 22 May 2020, 18:08
- Chairman of coordination center of North Caucasus Muslims hospitalized in Moscow 22 May 2020, 18:07
- The Federation of Jewish Communities of Russia to deliver 240 tons of Kosher food to those in need 22 May 2020, 17:43
- Russian Orthodox Church speaker calls its financial situation extremely difficult 22 May 2020, 16:52
- St. Petersburg's Evening Light charity to appeal designation of U.S. preacher Branham's materials as extremist 22 May 2020, 13:38
- Russian Orthodox Church organizes donation of blood from people who recovered from coronavirus 21 May 2020, 16:47
- Moldovan PM, in response to Synod's threats, calls for praying for Orthodox clergy's clarity of mind 21 May 2020, 12:55
- Muslims of Tatarstan to celebrate Eid al-Fitr in their homes 21 May 2020, 10:22
- Russian Orthodox Church yet to decide whether Patriarch Kirill will visit Serbia in Oct 20 May 2020, 19:50
- Moldovan Orthodox Church says Bill Gates, 5G dangerous for mankind 20 May 2020, 19:46
- Rabbi Lazar believes pandemic is a result of people's disassociation 20 May 2020, 13:35
- Archpriest Dimitry Smirnov recovered from coronavirus 19 May 2020, 21:04
- Jews all over the world celebrate the Victory Day according to the Jewish calendar 19 May 2020, 12:15
- Putin recommends Russian Muslims celebrate Eid al-Fitr at home (updated) 18 May 2020, 16:30
- World Russian People's Assembly, led by Patriarch Kirill, demands investigation into causes of pandemic 18 May 2020, 13:38
- LGBT activists in Georgia hold annual rally online due to pandemic 18 May 2020, 11:39
- Life has become a priority first time in Russian history during Covid-19 pandemic - Jewish leader 15 May 2020, 12:22
- Family climate worsens for 10% of Russians in self-isolation, 19% claim opposite - poll 14 May 2020, 18:53
- Eid al-Fitr will not cause crowds outside Moscow's main mosque this year due to coronavirus 14 May 2020, 18:49