10 July 2019, 10:38
Holy Synod of Russian Church speaks out against split of Serbian Church in Montenegro
Moscow, July 10, Interfax - The Holy Synod of the Russian Orthodox Church has expressed grave concern over the deterioration of the position of bishoprics of the Serbian Patriarchate in Montenegro.
"An alarming tendency is evolving in Montenegro of growing pressure of the government on the canonical clergy and laymen. The Bishops' Council of the Serbian Orthodox Church held on May 9-18, 2019 stated that there are "attempts to seize sacred objects for the benefit of the canonically and actually non-existent Montenegrin Orthodox Church and calls to destroy certain places of worship," a statement of the Holy Synod that held a session on Valaam says.
It says that Montenegrin President Milo Dukanovic at a party rally in Niksic on June 8 expressed intentions to "restore the Montenegrin Autocephalous Church."
The Synod is especially alarmed by the bill published by the Montenegrin government in May on the freedom of religion which contains several discriminatory measures such as the confiscation of part of the property of the Serbian Patriarchate, including churches and monasteries.
"Troubled by the latest initiatives of the Montenegrin authorities we are urging them to stop discriminating against the Serbian Orthodox Church and undermining its unity. We are raising our voices in its defense seeing the spiritual tradition dating back to St. Sava as a centuries' long historical foundation on which Montenegrin Orthodox Christian culture and statehood were built," the statement says.
At the same time the Holy Synod expressed support to the hierarchs, clergy and all parishioners of the Serbian Patriarchate in Montenegro who "despite the difficult conditions of persecution remain loyal to the truth of Sacred Orthodoxy."
- Presidents of Russia, Israel agree to continue departmental contacts regarding Jewish Agency for Israel 09 August 2022, 13:49
- Pope Francis holds lengthy meeting with head of Moscow Patriarchate's external relations dept 05 August 2022, 16:49
- 'Foreign ministers' of Russian Orthodox Church, Holy See meet in Vatican 04 August 2022, 16:44
- Zelensky tasks PM with considering legalization of same-sex marriages in Ukraine 03 August 2022, 14:38
- Pope to pay visit to Kazakhstan on Sept 13-15 01 August 2022, 13:55
- Kremlin refuses to comment on situation surrounding Jewish Agency for Israel 29 July 2022, 14:48
- Patriarch Kirill describes all Orthodox Ukrainians as children of Russian Orthodox Church 28 July 2022, 22:27
- Russian State Duma speaker says is certain bills banning propaganda of non-traditional values will be adopted 28 July 2022, 11:39
- Russian Church views Patriarch Kirill's ban on entry to Lithuania as abandoning European legal tradition 27 July 2022, 19:28
- Patriarch Kirill banned from entering Lithuania until 2027 27 July 2022, 18:15
- FJCR claims that they have not received notifications about the closure 27 July 2022, 14:25
- The return of Alexander Metochin to Russia outside the competence of the Jewish community – FJCR 27 July 2022, 14:18
- Israel ready for talks with Russia on Jewish Agency situation – PM 27 July 2022, 14:10
- Russian Church doubles the number of its clerics in Africa in seven months 27 July 2022, 11:33
- Situation surrounding Jewish Agency for Israel in Russia should not be politicized - Kremlin 26 July 2022, 17:27
- Russian court asked to declare Tajik Islamic Renaissance Party terrorist organization 25 July 2022, 18:13
- Person behind blast at Orthodox school in Russia's Serpukhov given 13-year term 25 July 2022, 15:47
- Blast rocks church in Syria at its inauguration ceremony 25 July 2022, 11:41
- Orthodox Church of Jerusalem urges West to stop attacks on Patriarch Kirill 22 July 2022, 21:40
- Intention to close down Jewish Agency for Israel in Russia linked not to 'brain drain', but to compliance with Russian laws - Kremlin 22 July 2022, 18:10
- The Federation of Jewish Communities concerned about plans to eliminate Sochnut in Russia 22 July 2022, 18:06
- Tajik president warns of danger of religious extremism ideology 21 July 2022, 17:28
- Russian Justice Ministry's Moscow branch seeks to shut down Jewish Agency for Israel 21 July 2022, 15:40
- Tretyakov Gallery dismisses as 'premature' talk about time of Rublev's Trinity return on permanent display 19 July 2022, 19:39
- Rublev's Trinity icon returned from Trinity Lavra to Tretyakov Gallery with no signs of deterioration 19 July 2022, 16:05
- Bill banning propaganda of non-traditional sexual relations submitted to State Duma 18 July 2022, 16:41
- Rublev's Trinity icon delivered to Trinity Lavra in special climate-controlled display case 18 July 2022, 10:07
- Rublev's Trinity icon delivered to Trinity Lavra for first time since 1917 Revolution 18 July 2022, 10:02
- Putin signs into law bill setting up state databank of extremist materials 14 July 2022, 16:52
- Kyrgyz special services claim to have prevented terrorist on Eid al-Adha in Bishkek 12 July 2022, 17:02