10 July 2019, 10:38
Holy Synod of Russian Church speaks out against split of Serbian Church in Montenegro
Moscow, July 10, Interfax - The Holy Synod of the Russian Orthodox Church has expressed grave concern over the deterioration of the position of bishoprics of the Serbian Patriarchate in Montenegro.
"An alarming tendency is evolving in Montenegro of growing pressure of the government on the canonical clergy and laymen. The Bishops' Council of the Serbian Orthodox Church held on May 9-18, 2019 stated that there are "attempts to seize sacred objects for the benefit of the canonically and actually non-existent Montenegrin Orthodox Church and calls to destroy certain places of worship," a statement of the Holy Synod that held a session on Valaam says.
It says that Montenegrin President Milo Dukanovic at a party rally in Niksic on June 8 expressed intentions to "restore the Montenegrin Autocephalous Church."
The Synod is especially alarmed by the bill published by the Montenegrin government in May on the freedom of religion which contains several discriminatory measures such as the confiscation of part of the property of the Serbian Patriarchate, including churches and monasteries.
"Troubled by the latest initiatives of the Montenegrin authorities we are urging them to stop discriminating against the Serbian Orthodox Church and undermining its unity. We are raising our voices in its defense seeing the spiritual tradition dating back to St. Sava as a centuries' long historical foundation on which Montenegrin Orthodox Christian culture and statehood were built," the statement says.
At the same time the Holy Synod expressed support to the hierarchs, clergy and all parishioners of the Serbian Patriarchate in Montenegro who "despite the difficult conditions of persecution remain loyal to the truth of Sacred Orthodoxy."
- Russian army's main church due to open on June 22 29 May 2020, 17:38
- The quarantine time is optimal for spiritual growth, Patriarch Kirill believes 29 May 2020, 13:10
- Defense team of Yakutia's shaman Gabyshev challenges his commitment to psychiatric hospital in court 29 May 2020, 11:50
- Trial of Aum Shinrikyo's Russian cell head begins in Rostov-on-Don 27 May 2020, 21:23
- Siberian hermit Agafya Lykova does not know much about coronavirus, but prays for the sick 27 May 2020, 18:17
- The Protection Monastery in Moscow with St. Matrona relics opened for parishioners in spite of the acting ban of Russian Church 27 May 2020, 17:04
- Yekaterinburg diocese bans services of priest who cursed those who close churches over pandemic 27 May 2020, 11:17
- Defense team for Yakutia's shaman Gabyshev asks ECHR for urgent effort toward his release 26 May 2020, 13:56
- Chief rabbi of Russia believes attention to our neighbors to be the main achievement of the pandemic 25 May 2020, 16:12
- Coronavirus may be part of biopsychological war - Russian Orthodox Church 25 May 2020, 15:09
- Kiev Lavra of the Caves reopens following quarantine 25 May 2020, 14:03
- Police talked to Metropolitan Longin of Saratov as he came to the market without a mask 22 May 2020, 18:08
- Chairman of coordination center of North Caucasus Muslims hospitalized in Moscow 22 May 2020, 18:07
- The Federation of Jewish Communities of Russia to deliver 240 tons of Kosher food to those in need 22 May 2020, 17:43
- Russian Orthodox Church speaker calls its financial situation extremely difficult 22 May 2020, 16:52
- St. Petersburg's Evening Light charity to appeal designation of U.S. preacher Branham's materials as extremist 22 May 2020, 13:38
- Russian Orthodox Church organizes donation of blood from people who recovered from coronavirus 21 May 2020, 16:47
- Moldovan PM, in response to Synod's threats, calls for praying for Orthodox clergy's clarity of mind 21 May 2020, 12:55
- Muslims of Tatarstan to celebrate Eid al-Fitr in their homes 21 May 2020, 10:22
- Russian Orthodox Church yet to decide whether Patriarch Kirill will visit Serbia in Oct 20 May 2020, 19:50
- Moldovan Orthodox Church says Bill Gates, 5G dangerous for mankind 20 May 2020, 19:46
- Rabbi Lazar believes pandemic is a result of people's disassociation 20 May 2020, 13:35
- Archpriest Dimitry Smirnov recovered from coronavirus 19 May 2020, 21:04
- Jews all over the world celebrate the Victory Day according to the Jewish calendar 19 May 2020, 12:15
- Putin recommends Russian Muslims celebrate Eid al-Fitr at home (updated) 18 May 2020, 16:30
- World Russian People's Assembly, led by Patriarch Kirill, demands investigation into causes of pandemic 18 May 2020, 13:38
- LGBT activists in Georgia hold annual rally online due to pandemic 18 May 2020, 11:39
- Life has become a priority first time in Russian history during Covid-19 pandemic - Jewish leader 15 May 2020, 12:22
- Family climate worsens for 10% of Russians in self-isolation, 19% claim opposite - poll 14 May 2020, 18:53
- Eid al-Fitr will not cause crowds outside Moscow's main mosque this year due to coronavirus 14 May 2020, 18:49