05 July 2019, 13:20
Putin speaks of pope's favorite writers, Dostoyevsky and Tolstoy
Rome, July 5, Interfax - Pope Francis considers Fyodor Dostoyevsky and Leo Tolstoy his favorite writers and advises priests to study their works.
The pope said this during a meeting with Russian President Vladimir Putin in the Vatican on Wednesday. Putin spoke about it with the pope's permission at a lunch attended by representatives of Russian-Italian civil society forums.
"We are connected by deep cultural relations [...] I have to say we did address this in the conversation with the pope and he allowed me to say publicly that one of the books that are always on his table is a classic of Russian literature, Dostoyevsky and Tolstoy," Putin said.
"This shows that we have common deep spiritual roots, and that's why our events in the humanitarian sphere are so successful," he said.
Recalling the old Italian saying that "sincerity in relations is a guarantee of true of friendship," Putin said that "we [Russians] always value this quality in our Italian partners, directness, openness to dialogue and cooperation."
Italian Prime Minister Giuseppe Conte said "we should continue this path of friendship because our friendship is that fabric upon which we write the way of our further cooperation, between our companies, and between our civil societies."
Conte admitted that Italy "is in a fairly difficult situation now, especially as seen through the prism of the European Union over the tough attitude toward Russia."
"But our government remains open to the possibility of talks and the civil societies of our countries continue this dialogue with the same high enthusiasm, keeping up that spirit of dialogue and mutual love which has always characterized the relations between the two peoples," he said.
- Holy Synod of Moscow Patriarchate to assess Church of Greece decision to recognize OCU this fall 13 October 2019, 20:45
- Greek Orthodox Church hierarchs recognize OCU autocephaly 13 October 2019, 20:44
- New Syrian constitution must guarantee interests of all ethnic, religious groups - Putin 13 October 2019, 20:36
- Alma-Ata police conduct searches at Jehovah's Witnesses office 13 October 2019, 20:35
- Kardashian was named Egine after baptizing in Armenia 11 October 2019, 10:47
- Three Russian Islamist women accused of killing prison guard in Pakistan 11 October 2019, 10:45
- Man hurt in shooting near monastery in southern Urals 11 October 2019, 10:33
- Today's methods for countering anti-Semitism insufficient - FJCR 11 October 2019, 10:32
- Daughter, son-in-law of Orenburg priest charged with child molestation left in custody 09 October 2019, 14:12
- Two Jehovah's Witnesses released from custody, placed under house arrest in Russia's Primorye 08 October 2019, 13:38
- Kardashian baptized children in Armenia 08 October 2019, 10:12
- Georgian patriarch hopes for German president to facilitate settlement of Transcaucasia's crises 08 October 2019, 10:07
- Patriarch Kirill congratulates Western Europe's 'Russian exarchate' on rejoining Russian Orthodox Church 08 October 2019, 10:03
- Russian Exarchate to keep financial independence, traditions within Russian Orthodox Church 08 October 2019, 10:00
- Russian Orthodox Church Synod includes in it former Constantinople 'Russian exarchate' (updated) 07 October 2019, 15:46
- FJCR announcing two new synagogues in Crimea 04 October 2019, 10:00
- The Maronite Patriarchate denies it has recognized the OCU 04 October 2019, 10:00
- Bashkir hunter shot the priest taking him for a bear 03 October 2019, 11:57
- Chasids leave Uman 02 October 2019, 20:15
- Russian religious donators give Syria school worth $300,000 30 September 2019, 15:57
- The Russian Orthodox Church official believes Jehovah's Witnesses in Russia are persecuted for extremism, not faith 30 September 2019, 13:57
- Adult adopted children of arrested Orenburg priest don't believe accusations against him 30 September 2019, 13:27
- Belarusian Orthodox Church doesn't need autocephaly - church head 30 September 2019, 11:57
- Russian Church welcomes the news about reunion with "Russia exarchate" clerics 30 September 2019, 10:37
- Putin greets Russian Jews on Rosh Hashanah 30 September 2019, 10:30
- Absolute majority of Russian Exarchate clerics in Europe join Moscow Patriarchate 28 September 2019, 19:42
- Russian Orthodox Church calls on media to refrain from labeling Archpriest Stremsky as pedophile before court ruling 27 September 2019, 16:51
- Defense lawyers for Orenburg priest charged with child sexual abuse appeal his arrest 27 September 2019, 16:03
- About ten priests came to the court to vouch for a person involved in Moscow case 27 September 2019, 11:41
- Gay couple from Russia, who are witnesses in case involving children they adopted, seeking asylum in U.S 26 September 2019, 19:58