24 June 2019, 11:07
Georgia's LGBT community postpones march due to tensions
Tbilisi, June 24, Interfax - Georgia's LGBT community has posted the Dignity March planned in Tbilisi for June 23 due to the tense situation in the country.
"Given the events on Rustaveli Avenue and the tense political situation, the Tbilisi Pride team has decided to postpone for several days the Dignity March scheduled for June 23," the organizers said in a statement on Saturday.
They noted that registration for the march continues and a new date of the event will be announced after tensions subside in Tbilisi.
"We must not escalate tensions any further amid the current political situation. We will not give neo-fascist groups a chance to weaken Georgia's statehood. We demonstrate civil responsibility and act exclusively to the benefit of the country," the statement said.
The organizers said earlier that "Georgia's first dignity march will happen despite the risks" and that they had no intention to call it off. The march was supposed to involve members of the LGBT community, international organizations, members of the diplomatic corps accredited in Georgia, and average citizens of EU and neighbor countries.
Representatives of various radical civil groups, which opposed the LGBT pride parade in Tbilisi, told journalists they would not allow that to happen.
The Georgian Orthodox Church's Patriarchate condemned the pride parade plans and said it might cause disturbances. The Georgian Interior Ministry held consultations with the march organizers and recommended that the event be cancelled considering the risk and the difficulties the police might experience with protecting march participants on the open space.
- Holy Synod of Moscow Patriarchate to assess Church of Greece decision to recognize OCU this fall 13 October 2019, 20:45
- Greek Orthodox Church hierarchs recognize OCU autocephaly 13 October 2019, 20:44
- New Syrian constitution must guarantee interests of all ethnic, religious groups - Putin 13 October 2019, 20:36
- Alma-Ata police conduct searches at Jehovah's Witnesses office 13 October 2019, 20:35
- Kardashian was named Egine after baptizing in Armenia 11 October 2019, 10:47
- Three Russian Islamist women accused of killing prison guard in Pakistan 11 October 2019, 10:45
- Man hurt in shooting near monastery in southern Urals 11 October 2019, 10:33
- Today's methods for countering anti-Semitism insufficient - FJCR 11 October 2019, 10:32
- Daughter, son-in-law of Orenburg priest charged with child molestation left in custody 09 October 2019, 14:12
- Two Jehovah's Witnesses released from custody, placed under house arrest in Russia's Primorye 08 October 2019, 13:38
- Kardashian baptized children in Armenia 08 October 2019, 10:12
- Georgian patriarch hopes for German president to facilitate settlement of Transcaucasia's crises 08 October 2019, 10:07
- Patriarch Kirill congratulates Western Europe's 'Russian exarchate' on rejoining Russian Orthodox Church 08 October 2019, 10:03
- Russian Exarchate to keep financial independence, traditions within Russian Orthodox Church 08 October 2019, 10:00
- Russian Orthodox Church Synod includes in it former Constantinople 'Russian exarchate' (updated) 07 October 2019, 15:46
- FJCR announcing two new synagogues in Crimea 04 October 2019, 10:00
- The Maronite Patriarchate denies it has recognized the OCU 04 October 2019, 10:00
- Bashkir hunter shot the priest taking him for a bear 03 October 2019, 11:57
- Chasids leave Uman 02 October 2019, 20:15
- Russian religious donators give Syria school worth $300,000 30 September 2019, 15:57
- The Russian Orthodox Church official believes Jehovah's Witnesses in Russia are persecuted for extremism, not faith 30 September 2019, 13:57
- Adult adopted children of arrested Orenburg priest don't believe accusations against him 30 September 2019, 13:27
- Belarusian Orthodox Church doesn't need autocephaly - church head 30 September 2019, 11:57
- Russian Church welcomes the news about reunion with "Russia exarchate" clerics 30 September 2019, 10:37
- Putin greets Russian Jews on Rosh Hashanah 30 September 2019, 10:30
- Absolute majority of Russian Exarchate clerics in Europe join Moscow Patriarchate 28 September 2019, 19:42
- Russian Orthodox Church calls on media to refrain from labeling Archpriest Stremsky as pedophile before court ruling 27 September 2019, 16:51
- Defense lawyers for Orenburg priest charged with child sexual abuse appeal his arrest 27 September 2019, 16:03
- About ten priests came to the court to vouch for a person involved in Moscow case 27 September 2019, 11:41
- Gay couple from Russia, who are witnesses in case involving children they adopted, seeking asylum in U.S 26 September 2019, 19:58