18 June 2019, 11:09
The Georgian Church official accuses US acting ambassador of trying to aggravate the situation around LGBT-action in Georgia
Moscow, June 18, Interfax - Two actions were held in front of the Tbilisi City Hall on Friday evening: LGBT activists came out to stand for their rights, their opponents were also there. They were divided by a police cordon.
According to mass media reports, Georgian Orthodox church official archpriest David Isakadze accused acting US ambassador to Georgia Elizabeth Rood of attempts to aggravate the situation in Georgia in connection with LGBT activists action.
“It is clear who administer the processes in Georgia. We want to be an independent country, but in deeds, not in words. US authorities in person of the ambassador directly interfere in our domestic affairs. She wants to administer the processes here and turn people against each other,” the priest said and noted that together with his allies he was ready to ask the USA to recall their ambassador if she did not immediately urge the LGBT activists to disperse.
According to Georgian media, nine people were detained for disobedience to fulfill the requirements of law-enforcement agencies, especially for trying to break the cordon and prevent LGBT activists from holding their action.
Earlier on Friday, the patriarchate expressed an opinion that LGBT actions in Georgian capital on June 18-23 can cause unrests.
“Unfortunately several LGBT groups and their allies say to their foreign partners that they are oppressed and persecuted in Georgia and for this reason they want to receive serious financing. They want to represent their actions as struggle against discrimination, but in fact they just popularize and promote their lifestyle and strive to achieve its legalization,” the patriarchate said in its statement.
- Holy Synod of Moscow Patriarchate to assess Church of Greece decision to recognize OCU this fall 13 October 2019, 20:45
- Greek Orthodox Church hierarchs recognize OCU autocephaly 13 October 2019, 20:44
- New Syrian constitution must guarantee interests of all ethnic, religious groups - Putin 13 October 2019, 20:36
- Alma-Ata police conduct searches at Jehovah's Witnesses office 13 October 2019, 20:35
- Kardashian was named Egine after baptizing in Armenia 11 October 2019, 10:47
- Three Russian Islamist women accused of killing prison guard in Pakistan 11 October 2019, 10:45
- Man hurt in shooting near monastery in southern Urals 11 October 2019, 10:33
- Today's methods for countering anti-Semitism insufficient - FJCR 11 October 2019, 10:32
- Daughter, son-in-law of Orenburg priest charged with child molestation left in custody 09 October 2019, 14:12
- Two Jehovah's Witnesses released from custody, placed under house arrest in Russia's Primorye 08 October 2019, 13:38
- Kardashian baptized children in Armenia 08 October 2019, 10:12
- Georgian patriarch hopes for German president to facilitate settlement of Transcaucasia's crises 08 October 2019, 10:07
- Patriarch Kirill congratulates Western Europe's 'Russian exarchate' on rejoining Russian Orthodox Church 08 October 2019, 10:03
- Russian Exarchate to keep financial independence, traditions within Russian Orthodox Church 08 October 2019, 10:00
- Russian Orthodox Church Synod includes in it former Constantinople 'Russian exarchate' (updated) 07 October 2019, 15:46
- FJCR announcing two new synagogues in Crimea 04 October 2019, 10:00
- The Maronite Patriarchate denies it has recognized the OCU 04 October 2019, 10:00
- Bashkir hunter shot the priest taking him for a bear 03 October 2019, 11:57
- Chasids leave Uman 02 October 2019, 20:15
- Russian religious donators give Syria school worth $300,000 30 September 2019, 15:57
- The Russian Orthodox Church official believes Jehovah's Witnesses in Russia are persecuted for extremism, not faith 30 September 2019, 13:57
- Adult adopted children of arrested Orenburg priest don't believe accusations against him 30 September 2019, 13:27
- Belarusian Orthodox Church doesn't need autocephaly - church head 30 September 2019, 11:57
- Russian Church welcomes the news about reunion with "Russia exarchate" clerics 30 September 2019, 10:37
- Putin greets Russian Jews on Rosh Hashanah 30 September 2019, 10:30
- Absolute majority of Russian Exarchate clerics in Europe join Moscow Patriarchate 28 September 2019, 19:42
- Russian Orthodox Church calls on media to refrain from labeling Archpriest Stremsky as pedophile before court ruling 27 September 2019, 16:51
- Defense lawyers for Orenburg priest charged with child sexual abuse appeal his arrest 27 September 2019, 16:03
- About ten priests came to the court to vouch for a person involved in Moscow case 27 September 2019, 11:41
- Gay couple from Russia, who are witnesses in case involving children they adopted, seeking asylum in U.S 26 September 2019, 19:58