18 June 2019, 11:09
The Georgian Church official accuses US acting ambassador of trying to aggravate the situation around LGBT-action in Georgia
Moscow, June 18, Interfax - Two actions were held in front of the Tbilisi City Hall on Friday evening: LGBT activists came out to stand for their rights, their opponents were also there. They were divided by a police cordon.
According to mass media reports, Georgian Orthodox church official archpriest David Isakadze accused acting US ambassador to Georgia Elizabeth Rood of attempts to aggravate the situation in Georgia in connection with LGBT activists action.
“It is clear who administer the processes in Georgia. We want to be an independent country, but in deeds, not in words. US authorities in person of the ambassador directly interfere in our domestic affairs. She wants to administer the processes here and turn people against each other,” the priest said and noted that together with his allies he was ready to ask the USA to recall their ambassador if she did not immediately urge the LGBT activists to disperse.
According to Georgian media, nine people were detained for disobedience to fulfill the requirements of law-enforcement agencies, especially for trying to break the cordon and prevent LGBT activists from holding their action.
Earlier on Friday, the patriarchate expressed an opinion that LGBT actions in Georgian capital on June 18-23 can cause unrests.
“Unfortunately several LGBT groups and their allies say to their foreign partners that they are oppressed and persecuted in Georgia and for this reason they want to receive serious financing. They want to represent their actions as struggle against discrimination, but in fact they just popularize and promote their lifestyle and strive to achieve its legalization,” the patriarchate said in its statement.
- Patriarch Kirill urges believers to sturdily face all "temporary difficulties" 03 April 2020, 18:07
- Patriarch Kirill going around Moscow with icon to rid people of coronavirus 03 April 2020, 17:47
- Almost all members of the Moscow Jewish Community recovered from Covid-19 03 April 2020, 17:10
- Russian Orthodox Church considers untimely forecasts about the form of Easter celebrations 03 April 2020, 16:43
- Heads of Jewish communities around the world urge to exchange words of support on the eve of Pesach 03 April 2020, 14:00
- One more Russian Orthodox metropolitan carries out air procession with cross against coronavirus 02 April 2020, 17:34
- Head of the Byelorussian Orthodox Church to fly along the country’s borders with relics and prayers to stop coronavirus 02 April 2020, 17:32
- About 20 members of Jewish community of Russia hospitalized with coronavirus suspected 02 April 2020, 16:05
- Moscow rabbi recovers from coronavirus 01 April 2020, 17:09
- Patriarch to go around Moscow with icon of Our Lady to rid people of coronavirus 01 April 2020, 13:24
- Patriarch Kirill calls on believers to refrain from visiting churches amid coronavirus pandemic 29 March 2020, 20:09
- Opera singer Svetlana Kasyan hospitalized with coronavirus 28 March 2020, 18:10
- Patriarch Kirill prays for the end of pandemic 28 March 2020, 17:58
- The Federation of Jewish Communities of Russia will give Pesach food sets to all parishioners 28 March 2020, 17:55
- Case of leader of Aum Shinrikyo group in Russia sent to prosecutor 26 March 2020, 19:27
- Belarusian Orthodox Church doesn't plan to cancel Easter processions 26 March 2020, 16:25
- Russian Orthodox Church shows understanding of Sobyanin's advice not to attend service but says churches will stay open 26 March 2020, 15:08
- Sobyanin asks Muscovites not to visit religious sites 26 March 2020, 10:49
- Ukrainian monasteries will assign premises for Covid-19 patients 25 March 2020, 19:24
- FJCR closes all its synagogues in Russia 25 March 2020, 15:49
- Monastery south of Moscow thrown away dozens of dogs, police was told they miraculously flew away 24 March 2020, 17:40
- Lukashenko on coronavirus: If we get through until Orthodox Easter, we'll live 24 March 2020, 14:40
- Kyrgyz missionary contracts Covid-19 in Pakistan - Kyrgyz Foreign Ministry 23 March 2020, 14:40
- Georgian churches to let in max. 10 people in state of emergency - premier 23 March 2020, 12:29
- Russian Orthodox Church Outside of Russia's council postponed due to coronavirus 20 March 2020, 19:52
- Rabbi beaten to death in Dagestan 20 March 2020, 19:12
- Friday prayers cancelled in Moscow's mosques 20 March 2020, 13:33
- Tajikistan lifts ban on joint prayers in mosques 19 March 2020, 19:02
- Russian Orthodox Church does not exclude usage of plastic spoons for Communion 18 March 2020, 16:43
- Chief rabbi of Russia closes his synagogue 18 March 2020, 14:12