18 June 2019, 11:09
The Georgian Church official accuses US acting ambassador of trying to aggravate the situation around LGBT-action in Georgia
Moscow, June 18, Interfax - Two actions were held in front of the Tbilisi City Hall on Friday evening: LGBT activists came out to stand for their rights, their opponents were also there. They were divided by a police cordon.
According to mass media reports, Georgian Orthodox church official archpriest David Isakadze accused acting US ambassador to Georgia Elizabeth Rood of attempts to aggravate the situation in Georgia in connection with LGBT activists action.
“It is clear who administer the processes in Georgia. We want to be an independent country, but in deeds, not in words. US authorities in person of the ambassador directly interfere in our domestic affairs. She wants to administer the processes here and turn people against each other,” the priest said and noted that together with his allies he was ready to ask the USA to recall their ambassador if she did not immediately urge the LGBT activists to disperse.
According to Georgian media, nine people were detained for disobedience to fulfill the requirements of law-enforcement agencies, especially for trying to break the cordon and prevent LGBT activists from holding their action.
Earlier on Friday, the patriarchate expressed an opinion that LGBT actions in Georgian capital on June 18-23 can cause unrests.
“Unfortunately several LGBT groups and their allies say to their foreign partners that they are oppressed and persecuted in Georgia and for this reason they want to receive serious financing. They want to represent their actions as struggle against discrimination, but in fact they just popularize and promote their lifestyle and strive to achieve its legalization,” the patriarchate said in its statement.
- Patriarch Kirill condemns Nice attack disguised by religious slogans 29 October 2020, 20:07
- Muslims holding unauthorized protest outside French embassy in Moscow 29 October 2020, 17:57
- Kremlin comments on Chechen authorities' plans to pay 100,000 rubles for naming newborns after Prophet Muhammad 29 October 2020, 16:34
- Putin calls attack at Nice church 'cynical, brutal crime,' says Russians share French people's anger, grief - Kremlin 29 October 2020, 16:33
- Religious affiliation in Russia in no way criterion for appointment, election to state posts - Peskov 29 October 2020, 14:45
- Magazine similar to France's Charlie Hebdo impossible in Russia - Peskov 29 October 2020, 14:35
- Unacceptable to insult feelings of believers, kill people for religious reasons - Peskov 29 October 2020, 14:32
- Kremlin describes Nice church attack as 'absolutely horrific tragedy' 29 October 2020, 14:30
- Kadyrov describes his words addressed to Macron as gesture of Muslim, not politician 29 October 2020, 10:00
- Former schema-hegumen Sergy refuses to go to questionings for fear of contracting Covid-19 28 October 2020, 20:07
- Russian Orthodox Church shocked by changes at Istanbul's Chora Monastery recently turned into mosque 28 October 2020, 20:02
- Prosecutors seeking 18 years in penal colony for head of Russian cell of Aum Shinrikyo 28 October 2020, 18:14
- Kantor reelected president of European Jewish Congress 28 October 2020, 15:12
- Kadyrov urges Macron to stop backing publication of Prophet Muhammad cartoons 27 October 2020, 18:20
- Russian court rejects appeal from Jehovah's Witness from Denmark on replacing remaining prison term with fine 27 October 2020, 18:14
- Russia has 1 mln Jews - FJCR 27 October 2020, 10:56
- Head of the Church of Cyprus recognizes OCU autocephaly 26 October 2020, 13:30
- Tikhanovskaya urges religious communities to support the strike 26 October 2020, 12:07
- Head of Jehovah's Witnesses cell in Kirov was fined for about 6,500 USD 23 October 2020, 18:32
- Over 20 "caliphate builders" exposed in North Caucasus 23 October 2020, 12:38
- Russian Church concerned about possibility of illegal use of personal data 22 October 2020, 20:15
- Estonia to hold a referendum on marriage as a union of man and woman in spring 22 October 2020, 19:50
- Russian Archpriest Dimitry Smirnov dies 21 October 2020, 20:31
- Attackers of Hasid teens in Uman must be brought to account - Ukraine's foreign minister 20 October 2020, 10:43
- Archbishop Kondrusiewicz in Vatican, discusses his return to Belarus 20 October 2020, 10:41
- Catholics conveyed a church in the center of Spanish Granada to Moscow Patriarchate 15 October 2020, 18:29
- Head of Russian Catholics contracts coronavirus 15 October 2020, 15:18
- The first Russian doctoral thesis on Islamic theology earned 15 October 2020, 14:03
- FJCR considers Kiev's order to pray for pogrom-makers an insult of the Jewish people 15 October 2020, 13:42
- A source learned about the death of another child from a surrogate mother in St. Petersburg 15 October 2020, 12:35