18 June 2019, 11:09
The Georgian Church official accuses US acting ambassador of trying to aggravate the situation around LGBT-action in Georgia
Moscow, June 18, Interfax - Two actions were held in front of the Tbilisi City Hall on Friday evening: LGBT activists came out to stand for their rights, their opponents were also there. They were divided by a police cordon.
According to mass media reports, Georgian Orthodox church official archpriest David Isakadze accused acting US ambassador to Georgia Elizabeth Rood of attempts to aggravate the situation in Georgia in connection with LGBT activists action.
“It is clear who administer the processes in Georgia. We want to be an independent country, but in deeds, not in words. US authorities in person of the ambassador directly interfere in our domestic affairs. She wants to administer the processes here and turn people against each other,” the priest said and noted that together with his allies he was ready to ask the USA to recall their ambassador if she did not immediately urge the LGBT activists to disperse.
According to Georgian media, nine people were detained for disobedience to fulfill the requirements of law-enforcement agencies, especially for trying to break the cordon and prevent LGBT activists from holding their action.
Earlier on Friday, the patriarchate expressed an opinion that LGBT actions in Georgian capital on June 18-23 can cause unrests.
“Unfortunately several LGBT groups and their allies say to their foreign partners that they are oppressed and persecuted in Georgia and for this reason they want to receive serious financing. They want to represent their actions as struggle against discrimination, but in fact they just popularize and promote their lifestyle and strive to achieve its legalization,” the patriarchate said in its statement.
- Belarusian Orthodox Church head to discuss with authorities possible peaceful resolution to protests (updated) 12 August 2020, 16:49
- Ukrainian Uman expects uo to 10,000 Chassidic pilgrims this year 11 August 2020, 15:36
- Patriarch Kirill congratulates Lukashenko on winning Belarusian presidential election 11 August 2020, 10:00
- Tablighi Jamaat literature found in mosques in Mordovia, activists detained 10 August 2020, 20:44
- Some 30 Belarusian priests join flash mob against vote-rigging in election 10 August 2020, 18:35
- 'Main exorcist' of Russian Orthodox Church dies of coronavirus 10 August 2020, 18:27
- "Innovative" church with a dome in the form of an Old Russian helmet may appear in Moscow Region 07 August 2020, 18:11
- Zelensky confirms the right of the UOC to use the Kiev Lavra of the Caves 07 August 2020, 17:57
- Teenage girl dies in Sredneuralsky Convent in Russia's Ural region 07 August 2020, 11:51
- Man who attacked priests with knife in Moscow church gets 1.5 years in penal colony 06 August 2020, 15:39
- Ideologues of destructive religious movements become active in Kazakhstan during quarantine 06 August 2020, 15:14
- Hegumeness of Sredneuralsky Convent calls on followers of schismatic schema-monk Sergy to come to their senses 03 August 2020, 16:52
- Ways to bypass coronavirus-related entry ban for pilgrimage to Ukraine being advertised in Israel 03 August 2020, 14:01
- Top Russian Orthodox priest speaks out against contraception 03 August 2020, 13:40
- Patriarch Kirill says there is not a drop of truth in rumors about his wealth 03 August 2020, 11:56
- Christianization of Rus was the main revolution in Russian history - Patriarch Kirill 28 July 2020, 20:26
- Poroshenko 'proud' of tomos criminal case against him 28 July 2020, 18:49
- Half of Georgian residents agree that faith helps protect against coronavirus - poll 28 July 2020, 16:54
- Russian Foreign Ministry sends notes of protest to Western states' embassies over LGBT flags hoisted on their buildings 28 July 2020, 14:04
- Kyrgyz Muslim board cancels Eid al-Adha collective prayers due to Covid-19 28 July 2020, 12:08
- Russian Orthodox Church calls for learning lessons from Hagia Sophia's transformation into mosque, Nantes Cathedral arson 27 July 2020, 17:00
- About three billion rubles donated annually for construction of Orthodox churches in Moscow 27 July 2020, 15:20
- Russian Church calls female circumcision barbaric 27 July 2020, 10:18
- Russian metropolitan is ready to become a volunteer for a coronavirus vaccine trial 27 July 2020, 10:15
- Patriarch Kirill obliges mother superior of a Moscow monastery to sell her luxury Mercedes 27 July 2020, 10:07
- Ukraine proposes to introduce fine for promoting homosexuality 24 July 2020, 19:43
- Former schema-hegumen not planning to leave Sredneuralsky Convent 24 July 2020, 19:38
- Patriarch Kirill approves decision of Yekaterinburg Diocese's court to defrock monk Sergy (Romanov) 24 July 2020, 11:25
- Patriarch Kirill calls on Armenia, Azerbaijan to have dialogue 24 July 2020, 10:57
- Fourteen nuns leave Sredneuralsky Convent taken over by former schema-hegumen 23 July 2020, 18:08