17 June 2019, 11:30
Religion department editor of the Dagestani newspaper detained on suspicion of terrorism financing
Makhachkala, June 17, Interfax - The investigative bodies in Dagestan have opened a terrorism financing case against a journalist with the newspaper Chernovik, an informed source told Interfax.
"Abdulmumim Gadzhiyev, department editor of the newspaper Chernovik, has been detained on suspicion of terrorism financing. He was taken to the investigative directorate of the Investigative Committee's department for the republic. His residence has been searched," the source said.
Abubakar Rizvanov and Kemal Tambiyev were also detained, the source said. "Tambiyev was detained in Moscow, he should be taken to Dagestan in the near future," the source said.
The three detainees are charged with participation in a terrorist organization and terrorism financing.
The source also said Rizvanov has a conviction for abetting terrorism and he walked free last year.
"Rizvanov headed the charity foundation Ansar. He collected money that he later sent to militants abroad. Rizvanov was sentenced to three years in a penal colony for that and he walked free in September 2018. After his release, he resumed his criminal activities and the law enforcement officers who worked on his case managed to reach Gadzhiyev and Tambiyev," the source said.
When Rizvanov was head of the foundation Ansar, which is now closed, he sent the raised money to Abu-Umar Sasitlinsky, whose real name is Israil Akhmednabiyev, the source sad. Akhmednabiyev is helping terrorists in Syria under the cover of public projects in African countries. "Akhmednabiyev is hiding from the Russian justice system abroad," the source said.
Interfax currently does not have comments from the law enforcement agencies on this matter.
In the meantime, Chernovik compared the situation with Gadzhiyev to the detention of journalist Ivan Golunov in Moscow.
"They are trying to file an absurd charge, extremism financing, against Abdulmumim Gadzhiyev, editor of the Religion department of the Dagestani newspaper Chernovik," the paper reported.
"It's approximately the same thing as the planting of drugs on Ivan Golunov in Moscow. Abdulmumim Gadzhiyev is one of the oldest employees of Chernovik and his articles on religious issues have always been positively received by readers and were broadly discussed," the paper reported on its website.
- Holy Synod of Moscow Patriarchate to assess Church of Greece decision to recognize OCU this fall 13 October 2019, 20:45
- Greek Orthodox Church hierarchs recognize OCU autocephaly 13 October 2019, 20:44
- New Syrian constitution must guarantee interests of all ethnic, religious groups - Putin 13 October 2019, 20:36
- Alma-Ata police conduct searches at Jehovah's Witnesses office 13 October 2019, 20:35
- Kardashian was named Egine after baptizing in Armenia 11 October 2019, 10:47
- Three Russian Islamist women accused of killing prison guard in Pakistan 11 October 2019, 10:45
- Man hurt in shooting near monastery in southern Urals 11 October 2019, 10:33
- Today's methods for countering anti-Semitism insufficient - FJCR 11 October 2019, 10:32
- Daughter, son-in-law of Orenburg priest charged with child molestation left in custody 09 October 2019, 14:12
- Two Jehovah's Witnesses released from custody, placed under house arrest in Russia's Primorye 08 October 2019, 13:38
- Kardashian baptized children in Armenia 08 October 2019, 10:12
- Georgian patriarch hopes for German president to facilitate settlement of Transcaucasia's crises 08 October 2019, 10:07
- Patriarch Kirill congratulates Western Europe's 'Russian exarchate' on rejoining Russian Orthodox Church 08 October 2019, 10:03
- Russian Exarchate to keep financial independence, traditions within Russian Orthodox Church 08 October 2019, 10:00
- Russian Orthodox Church Synod includes in it former Constantinople 'Russian exarchate' (updated) 07 October 2019, 15:46
- FJCR announcing two new synagogues in Crimea 04 October 2019, 10:00
- The Maronite Patriarchate denies it has recognized the OCU 04 October 2019, 10:00
- Bashkir hunter shot the priest taking him for a bear 03 October 2019, 11:57
- Chasids leave Uman 02 October 2019, 20:15
- Russian religious donators give Syria school worth $300,000 30 September 2019, 15:57
- The Russian Orthodox Church official believes Jehovah's Witnesses in Russia are persecuted for extremism, not faith 30 September 2019, 13:57
- Adult adopted children of arrested Orenburg priest don't believe accusations against him 30 September 2019, 13:27
- Belarusian Orthodox Church doesn't need autocephaly - church head 30 September 2019, 11:57
- Russian Church welcomes the news about reunion with "Russia exarchate" clerics 30 September 2019, 10:37
- Putin greets Russian Jews on Rosh Hashanah 30 September 2019, 10:30
- Absolute majority of Russian Exarchate clerics in Europe join Moscow Patriarchate 28 September 2019, 19:42
- Russian Orthodox Church calls on media to refrain from labeling Archpriest Stremsky as pedophile before court ruling 27 September 2019, 16:51
- Defense lawyers for Orenburg priest charged with child sexual abuse appeal his arrest 27 September 2019, 16:03
- About ten priests came to the court to vouch for a person involved in Moscow case 27 September 2019, 11:41
- Gay couple from Russia, who are witnesses in case involving children they adopted, seeking asylum in U.S 26 September 2019, 19:58