27 May 2019, 18:13
Patriarch Kirill hopes for end to discrimination against Orthodox Christians in Ukraine under new president
Strasbourg, May 27, Interfax - Patriarch Kirill of Moscow and All Russia hopes that the discrimination against Orthodox Christians will stop in Ukraine after the election of Ukrainian President Vladimir Zelensky.
"The rights of very many Orthodox Christians were rudely violated in Ukraine," the patriarch told reporters at Strasbourg Airport at the end of his visit to France.
"These violations caused real suffering, simply for the fact that they wanted to remain Orthodox and wanted to remain members of the Russian Orthodox Church," he said.
"Recent changes that have taken place in Ukraine in connection with the election of the new president certainly give some hope," the patriarch said.
"I know the opinions of many Orthodox Ukrainians; they link this choice [of the new president] to positive changes, such as discrimination for belonging to an Orthodox jurisdiction stopping and all people having equal rights. I share these hopes of Ukrainians in connection with Mr. Zelensky's election," Patriarch Kirill said.
"I very much hope that this Neanderthal policy where decent citizens are discriminated for belonging to a certain religious organization is absolutely unacceptable not only in Europe but also in most countries, will be forever abandoned in the life of Ukrainians," he said.
"I believe that my interlocutors here in Strasbourg share these hopes," the patriarch said.
As previously reported, Patriarch Kirill had meetings with Council of Europe Secretary General Torbjorn Jagland and Council of Europe Human Rights Commissioner Dunja Mijatovic.
- Synod of Ukraine's new Church deprives Filaret of right to run Kiev Diocese 24 June 2019, 17:53
- Underground church discovered in Moldavia 24 June 2019, 17:49
- Georgian patriarch urges not to make mistakes 24 June 2019, 17:44
- Audience of films showing drugs should be warned of danger – Russian Church 24 June 2019, 14:15
- Georgia's LGBT community postpones march due to tensions 24 June 2019, 11:07
- Head of Georgian delegation in IAO refuses parliamentary mandate following riots in Tbilisi 21 June 2019, 17:37
- Filaret's 'local assembly' shows Constantinople project in Ukraine is not viable - Russian Orthodox Church 20 June 2019, 19:39
- Defense minister accuses U.S. of supporting non-mainstream religious entities in Russia 20 June 2019, 19:07
- Filaret, supporters to leave Ukraine's new church on June 24 - new church of Ukraine 20 June 2019, 19:03
- IAO delegation led by Russian MP leaving Tbilisi early 20 June 2019, 18:58
- Ivanishvili lashes out at organizers of Interparliamentary Assembly on Orthodoxy session for electing Russian as chair 20 June 2019, 18:56
- Filaret thinks Ukraine can have 3 Orthodox Churches 20 June 2019, 18:51
- "Kiev Patriarchate" cancels its dissolution 20 June 2019, 18:46
- Georgian president rules out 'Orthodox union' of Georgia and Russia 20 June 2019, 13:40
- Religion section editor of Dagestani newspaper suspected of financing terrorism arrested for 2 months 19 June 2019, 17:14
- Memorial in place of the second biggest burial of the Holocaust victims opened in Caucasus 19 June 2019, 17:09
- The Georgian Church official accuses US acting ambassador of trying to aggravate the situation around LGBT-action in Georgia 18 June 2019, 11:09
- Religion department editor of the Dagestani newspaper detained on suspicion of terrorism financing 17 June 2019, 11:30
- Russian Catholics don’t believe in islamization of Europe 07 June 2019, 15:30
- Leaders, members of 15 Jehovah's Witnesses cells held in Dagestan 07 June 2019, 10:55
- World will be better if people follow Bible, Torah, Koran - Putin 06 June 2019, 18:01
- Russian Catholics urge not to have illusions about possible pontiff's visit to Moscow 06 June 2019, 17:05
- The Russian Orthodox Church is not ready to welcome the Pope of Rome in Moscow 06 June 2019, 16:04
- Putin to meet with Pope Francis 06 June 2019, 14:34
- Russian Jews pray for “lifting up” the soul of the reposed wife of the Israel’s president 06 June 2019, 11:32
- Russia's Jews present country as example of tolerance for Europe 04 June 2019, 18:48
- Remembrance of Great Patriotic War protects Russia from xenophobia, anti-Semitism - Putin 04 June 2019, 17:48
- Putin attends unveiling of monument to heroes of resistance in concentration camps 04 June 2019, 17:41
- Russian Muslim community plays major role in combating extremist ideology - PM Medvedev 04 June 2019, 11:28
- Putin notes Russian Muslims' contribution to peoples' unity, fight against extremism 04 June 2019, 11:25