27 May 2019, 12:31
Metropolitan Kirill compares situation with church construction in Yekaterinburg to tsar's family killing
Yekaterinburg, May 27, Interfax - The situation with the construction of the Church of St. Catherine in Yekaterinburg is a challenge, Metropolitan Kirill of Yekaterinburg and Verkhoturye said, according to the local diocese press service.
"The Church is now facing a challenge. That explosion happened in Yekaterinburg. In the same way as shots were fired and the blood of holy imperial martyrs was shed 100 years ago," the metropolitan was quoted as saying after a service in the Verkhoturye St. Nicholas Monastery last Saturday.
"The priest said the people who are now opposing the construction of churches in some cities of the country, who are sneering at Orthodox values are our brothers, our children, who are lost due to not having faith," the press service said.
Mass protests against the construction of the church in the park on Oktyabrskaya Square in downtown Yekaterinburg began on May 13 after the potential construction site was fenced off. A week after protests and detentions, and also the statements made by President Vladimir Putin on the events, Kuivashev asked Yekaterinburg residents to discuss alternative sites for the construction of the church.
On May 20, the Yekaterinburg administration announced a collection of citizens' proposals on possible sites for building the church, which will last ten days. The fence around the public garden was removed.
A poll conducted by the Russian Public Opinion Research Center (VCIOM) shows that 74% of the respondents do not think the park is a good place to build the church.
The Yekaterinburg administration said on May 27 it had received 8,200 proposals from city residents on possible sites for the construction of the Church of St. Catherine over one week. Voting for the site for the new church will be conducted based on those proposals.
Patriarch Kirill of Moscow and All Russia said earlier in Strasbourg the Russian Orthodox Church builds on average three churches a day.
- Al-Assad asks for Russian language teachers in Syria to counter Western culture and Wahhabism - Russian MP 20 August 2019, 15:28
- Ukraine has made a great contribution to combating antisemitism - Netanyahu 19 August 2019, 18:19
- Ukrainian Autocephalous Orthodox Church ceases to exist 14 August 2019, 20:12
- Over 60% of Russians identify as Orthodox, 1 out of every 6 is atheist - poll 14 August 2019, 13:51
- Russian Orthodox Church offers "Russian exarchate" to join it preserving its statute and traditions 12 August 2019, 15:33
- Gay couple with adopted children can't return to Russia yet - rights activists 12 August 2019, 14:53
- Zelensky discusses Crimea, Donbass with Patriarch Bartholomew 09 August 2019, 11:58
- Ukrainian Orthodox Church sees good signal in Zelensky's remarks at meeting with Patriarch Bartholomew 08 August 2019, 20:25
- Zelensky promises Patriarch Bartholomew: state won't interfere in church affairs 08 August 2019, 16:51
- Russian Jewish community leader calls news of Vilnius Synagogue closure frightening 08 August 2019, 14:31
- Vilnius synagogue closes due to local Jews' safety fears 07 August 2019, 20:39
- The battles of Stalingrad, Moscow to be depicted at facades of the main church of Russian military forces 07 August 2019, 17:25
- The Russian Orthodox Church criticizes the project of 'futuristic' church in Moscow 07 August 2019, 17:23
- Patriarch Kirill sends condolences to Trump over deadly shootings in Texas, Ohio 06 August 2019, 13:18
- U.S. consul general denies Washington's involvement in Yekaterinburg protests 05 August 2019, 18:47
- Zelensky planning to meet with Erdogan, Patriarch Bartholomew during Turkey visit 05 August 2019, 11:48
- Vatican embassy describes reports on pontiff's visit to Russia on May 9, 2020, as rumors 01 August 2019, 16:21
- Patriarch Kirill sees the threat of restricting human freedom in digital technologies 01 August 2019, 15:52
- Baikal shamans bring sheep and vodka to their gods to help extinguishing fire 01 August 2019, 15:50
- 300,000 Ukrainian Orthodox Church believers participate in the procession with cross on the Day of Russia’s Baptism 29 July 2019, 10:59
- Ukrainian Orthodox Church hopes Zelensky's anti-raiding decree will affect religious sphere 24 July 2019, 17:22
- Pope Francis of Rome congratulates Russian opera singer Svetlana Kasyan on her birthday 24 July 2019, 16:29
- Court of Appeal recognized illegal the Ukrainian state’s attempt to rename the Ukrainian Orthodox Church 24 July 2019, 13:56
- Religion section editor of Dagestani newspaper charged with financing terrorism 24 July 2019, 13:22
- The Russian Church warns that Trump's taxes on Chinese goods may lead to crisis of Christian mission in the USA 22 July 2019, 16:35
- Sagrada Familia and Notre Dame listed among five most frequently photoed sights 22 July 2019, 13:56
- "Contemporary" church to be built in the Setun valley in Moscow 22 July 2019, 11:38
- Georgian campaigners for gay propaganda ban hand out treats for signatures 22 July 2019, 11:34
- Icons presented to Putin and Lukashenko at Konevets monastery near St. Petersburg 18 July 2019, 11:58
- Russian Church hopes authorities will not impede Christianization Day procession in Ukraine 18 July 2019, 11:13