27 May 2019, 12:31
Metropolitan Kirill compares situation with church construction in Yekaterinburg to tsar's family killing
Yekaterinburg, May 27, Interfax - The situation with the construction of the Church of St. Catherine in Yekaterinburg is a challenge, Metropolitan Kirill of Yekaterinburg and Verkhoturye said, according to the local diocese press service.
"The Church is now facing a challenge. That explosion happened in Yekaterinburg. In the same way as shots were fired and the blood of holy imperial martyrs was shed 100 years ago," the metropolitan was quoted as saying after a service in the Verkhoturye St. Nicholas Monastery last Saturday.
"The priest said the people who are now opposing the construction of churches in some cities of the country, who are sneering at Orthodox values are our brothers, our children, who are lost due to not having faith," the press service said.
Mass protests against the construction of the church in the park on Oktyabrskaya Square in downtown Yekaterinburg began on May 13 after the potential construction site was fenced off. A week after protests and detentions, and also the statements made by President Vladimir Putin on the events, Kuivashev asked Yekaterinburg residents to discuss alternative sites for the construction of the church.
On May 20, the Yekaterinburg administration announced a collection of citizens' proposals on possible sites for building the church, which will last ten days. The fence around the public garden was removed.
A poll conducted by the Russian Public Opinion Research Center (VCIOM) shows that 74% of the respondents do not think the park is a good place to build the church.
The Yekaterinburg administration said on May 27 it had received 8,200 proposals from city residents on possible sites for the construction of the Church of St. Catherine over one week. Voting for the site for the new church will be conducted based on those proposals.
Patriarch Kirill of Moscow and All Russia said earlier in Strasbourg the Russian Orthodox Church builds on average three churches a day.
- Synod of Ukraine's new Church deprives Filaret of right to run Kiev Diocese 24 June 2019, 17:53
- Underground church discovered in Moldavia 24 June 2019, 17:49
- Georgian patriarch urges not to make mistakes 24 June 2019, 17:44
- Audience of films showing drugs should be warned of danger – Russian Church 24 June 2019, 14:15
- Georgia's LGBT community postpones march due to tensions 24 June 2019, 11:07
- Head of Georgian delegation in IAO refuses parliamentary mandate following riots in Tbilisi 21 June 2019, 17:37
- Filaret's 'local assembly' shows Constantinople project in Ukraine is not viable - Russian Orthodox Church 20 June 2019, 19:39
- Defense minister accuses U.S. of supporting non-mainstream religious entities in Russia 20 June 2019, 19:07
- Filaret, supporters to leave Ukraine's new church on June 24 - new church of Ukraine 20 June 2019, 19:03
- IAO delegation led by Russian MP leaving Tbilisi early 20 June 2019, 18:58
- Ivanishvili lashes out at organizers of Interparliamentary Assembly on Orthodoxy session for electing Russian as chair 20 June 2019, 18:56
- Filaret thinks Ukraine can have 3 Orthodox Churches 20 June 2019, 18:51
- "Kiev Patriarchate" cancels its dissolution 20 June 2019, 18:46
- Georgian president rules out 'Orthodox union' of Georgia and Russia 20 June 2019, 13:40
- Religion section editor of Dagestani newspaper suspected of financing terrorism arrested for 2 months 19 June 2019, 17:14
- Memorial in place of the second biggest burial of the Holocaust victims opened in Caucasus 19 June 2019, 17:09
- The Georgian Church official accuses US acting ambassador of trying to aggravate the situation around LGBT-action in Georgia 18 June 2019, 11:09
- Religion department editor of the Dagestani newspaper detained on suspicion of terrorism financing 17 June 2019, 11:30
- Russian Catholics don’t believe in islamization of Europe 07 June 2019, 15:30
- Leaders, members of 15 Jehovah's Witnesses cells held in Dagestan 07 June 2019, 10:55
- World will be better if people follow Bible, Torah, Koran - Putin 06 June 2019, 18:01
- Russian Catholics urge not to have illusions about possible pontiff's visit to Moscow 06 June 2019, 17:05
- The Russian Orthodox Church is not ready to welcome the Pope of Rome in Moscow 06 June 2019, 16:04
- Putin to meet with Pope Francis 06 June 2019, 14:34
- Russian Jews pray for “lifting up” the soul of the reposed wife of the Israel’s president 06 June 2019, 11:32
- Russia's Jews present country as example of tolerance for Europe 04 June 2019, 18:48
- Remembrance of Great Patriotic War protects Russia from xenophobia, anti-Semitism - Putin 04 June 2019, 17:48
- Putin attends unveiling of monument to heroes of resistance in concentration camps 04 June 2019, 17:41
- Russian Muslim community plays major role in combating extremist ideology - PM Medvedev 04 June 2019, 11:28
- Putin notes Russian Muslims' contribution to peoples' unity, fight against extremism 04 June 2019, 11:25