24 May 2019, 14:23
Yekaterinburg Diocese says won't build church in city park if residents vote against it
Yekaterinburg, May 24, Interfax - The Diocese of Yekaterinburg is prepared to agree with the results of a proposed public opinion survey related to the construction of a new church in the center of Yekaterinburg should residents of the city vote against the project.
"Absolutely," head of the department on church liaison with society and the mass media Archpriest Maxim Minyaylo, told reporters on Thursday when asked whether the diocese would follow people's will if most residents vote against the construction of a church in the city park.
"We have agreed that the results of the survey will also have judicial and practical consequences. Therefore, we are counting on this poll. We are preparing for it. We will be working together with the entire city [...] It is highly important that, no matter whether this church is built in the park or not, which I don't rule out, people should know what was supposed to be built there. And only after that will they vote impartially," the archpriest said.
Unauthorized protests against the construction of St. Catherine's Church in the park on Oktyabrskaya Square in the center of Yekaterinburg began on May 13. Dozens were detained. More than 30 were arrested.
The city and regional authorities are holding meetings and talks with both supporters and opponents of the project. The sides are discussing options for a public opinion survey on whether the church should be built at the abovementioned site.
Poll results published by the Russian Public Opinion Research Center (VCIOM) on May 22 show that 58% of Yekaterinburg residents interviewed by VCIOM do not want the church to be built in this park.
- Six Jehovah's Witnesses convicted in Penza 13 December 2019, 16:23
- Rosobrnadzor bans acceptance of students to seminary of Evangelical-Lutheran church 13 December 2019, 11:38
- Patriarch Kirill calls to continue fight for Orthodox unity in 2020 12 December 2019, 10:04
- Christ the Savior Cathedral receives fourth bomb threat in Dec 11 December 2019, 19:02
- Yakut shaman Gabyshev detained again - human rights activists 11 December 2019, 10:12
- Mufti Gainutdin calls on Muslim leaders to protect persecuted Christians of Africa, Middle East 11 December 2019, 10:10
- Ukraine's canonical Church adds 250 parishes in first year of OCU existence 11 December 2019, 10:08
- Christ the Savior Cathedral "mined" the third time in a few days 09 December 2019, 17:12
- Patriarch Kirill asks Mayor Sobyanin to help restore Orthodox Church in America's representation church in Moscow 06 December 2019, 18:51
- Moscow's Cathedral of Christ the Savior receives 2nd bomb threat this week 06 December 2019, 12:41
- Zelensky urges clerics to back Ukraine's initiatives in run-up to Normandy-format summit 05 December 2019, 13:54
- Saint Isaac's Cathedral and 5 other churchs in St. Petersburg received bomb threats 05 December 2019, 13:52
- Serbian president invites Putin to attend opening of St. Sava Cathedral in Belgrade 04 December 2019, 19:35
- Moscow's Christ the Savior Cathedral alerted to bomb threat 03 December 2019, 20:55
- One year on OCU defectors account for less than 1% of our parishes - UOC 03 December 2019, 18:46
- Moscow Jewish Museum to break stereotypes - director 03 December 2019, 17:26
- FSB reports detention of 9 Hizb ut-Tahrir members recruited Muslims 03 December 2019, 14:12
- Russian Bishops' Council to assess global Orthodox situation in near future 02 December 2019, 20:27
- Ukrainian Orthodox Church calls for end of infowar between Ukraine, Russia 02 December 2019, 18:45
- Russian Patriarch Kirill invited to Estonia by country's Lutheran leader 29 November 2019, 18:31
- Moscow court arrests U.S. rabbi in absentia in Schneerson library case 29 November 2019, 13:56
- Putin notes importance of coordination with OIC in countering threats 29 November 2019, 12:04
- Abortion rate in Russia declines considerably in past 18 years 28 November 2019, 19:06
- Patriarch of Alexandria sends kisses to head of OCU 28 November 2019, 18:29
- FJCR sees plans to arrest U.S. rabbi in Schneerson library case as absurd 28 November 2019, 17:23
- Bulgarian Church takes step toward recognizing OCU 28 November 2019, 17:21
- Ukraine has seen no attacks motivated by anti-Semitism in past 3 years - Association of Jewish Communities 27 November 2019, 17:18
- ROCOR to build new church in U.S 27 November 2019, 17:17
- Orthodox priest in Russia's Jewish Autonomous Region suspected of child molestation 26 November 2019, 14:25
- Georgian patriarch, foreign ambassadors discuss detention of doctor Gaprindashvili in S. Ossetia 26 November 2019, 10:07