22 May 2019, 18:49
Authorities give up plans to build church in Yekaterinburg park after VCIOM poll
Yekaterinburg, May 22, Interfax - The results of the poll conducted by the Russian Public Opinion Research Center (VCIOM) showing that the majority of Yekaterinburg residents oppose the construction of the church in the park give grounds to discard this option, Sverdlovsk Region governor Yevgeny Kuivashev said on his Instagram account.
"I believe that the figures published by the VCIOM give grounds to exclude the park in front of the Drama Theater from the list of possible places for St. Catherine's Church. I will request Yekaterinburg Mayor Alexander Vysokinsky not to add this location to the list of places while holding the poll. We have passed this conflict, it has been exhausted. We will have to find a new site for the church together," the governor said.
As reported, according to the results of the VCIOM poll published on Wednesday, 58% of respondents believe that the church must not be built in the park.
Eighteen percent of Yekaterinburg residents said they completely oppose the construction of the church, while 7% of those polled said that they believe the church must be built in the park near the Drama Theater in line with the initial plan. Another 14% of participants in the poll said they believe this church could be built in the park, "if the project is adjusted with consideration to city residents' opinions."
"When directly asked whether the park near the Drama Theater is an appropriate or inappropriate place for the church, only 10% of those polled supported the choice of the site, while the majority of Yekaterinburg residents (74%) described this place as inappropriate," the VCIOM said in a press release.
The poll was conducted among 3,000 respondents aged 18 and over on May 16-20.
- Six Jehovah's Witnesses convicted in Penza 13 December 2019, 16:23
- Rosobrnadzor bans acceptance of students to seminary of Evangelical-Lutheran church 13 December 2019, 11:38
- Patriarch Kirill calls to continue fight for Orthodox unity in 2020 12 December 2019, 10:04
- Christ the Savior Cathedral receives fourth bomb threat in Dec 11 December 2019, 19:02
- Yakut shaman Gabyshev detained again - human rights activists 11 December 2019, 10:12
- Mufti Gainutdin calls on Muslim leaders to protect persecuted Christians of Africa, Middle East 11 December 2019, 10:10
- Ukraine's canonical Church adds 250 parishes in first year of OCU existence 11 December 2019, 10:08
- Christ the Savior Cathedral "mined" the third time in a few days 09 December 2019, 17:12
- Patriarch Kirill asks Mayor Sobyanin to help restore Orthodox Church in America's representation church in Moscow 06 December 2019, 18:51
- Moscow's Cathedral of Christ the Savior receives 2nd bomb threat this week 06 December 2019, 12:41
- Zelensky urges clerics to back Ukraine's initiatives in run-up to Normandy-format summit 05 December 2019, 13:54
- Saint Isaac's Cathedral and 5 other churchs in St. Petersburg received bomb threats 05 December 2019, 13:52
- Serbian president invites Putin to attend opening of St. Sava Cathedral in Belgrade 04 December 2019, 19:35
- Moscow's Christ the Savior Cathedral alerted to bomb threat 03 December 2019, 20:55
- One year on OCU defectors account for less than 1% of our parishes - UOC 03 December 2019, 18:46
- Moscow Jewish Museum to break stereotypes - director 03 December 2019, 17:26
- FSB reports detention of 9 Hizb ut-Tahrir members recruited Muslims 03 December 2019, 14:12
- Russian Bishops' Council to assess global Orthodox situation in near future 02 December 2019, 20:27
- Ukrainian Orthodox Church calls for end of infowar between Ukraine, Russia 02 December 2019, 18:45
- Russian Patriarch Kirill invited to Estonia by country's Lutheran leader 29 November 2019, 18:31
- Moscow court arrests U.S. rabbi in absentia in Schneerson library case 29 November 2019, 13:56
- Putin notes importance of coordination with OIC in countering threats 29 November 2019, 12:04
- Abortion rate in Russia declines considerably in past 18 years 28 November 2019, 19:06
- Patriarch of Alexandria sends kisses to head of OCU 28 November 2019, 18:29
- FJCR sees plans to arrest U.S. rabbi in Schneerson library case as absurd 28 November 2019, 17:23
- Bulgarian Church takes step toward recognizing OCU 28 November 2019, 17:21
- Ukraine has seen no attacks motivated by anti-Semitism in past 3 years - Association of Jewish Communities 27 November 2019, 17:18
- ROCOR to build new church in U.S 27 November 2019, 17:17
- Orthodox priest in Russia's Jewish Autonomous Region suspected of child molestation 26 November 2019, 14:25
- Georgian patriarch, foreign ambassadors discuss detention of doctor Gaprindashvili in S. Ossetia 26 November 2019, 10:07