22 May 2019, 15:57
Teen suspected of setting fire to Assumption Church in Karelia found to have mental disorder
Petrozavodsk, May 22, Interfax - The investigation into the case against a 16-year-old boy charged with setting fire to the 18th century Assumption Church in Kondopoga, Karelia, in August 2018 has been completed, the press service for the Russian Investigative Committee said in a statement on Wednesday.
"A forensic evaluation shows that the boy has a mental disorder that prevents him from realizing the actual nature and danger posed by his actions to the public and from directing them," the statement said.
The teenager is accused of deliberate destruction of property leading to the infliction of considerable damage carried out by means of arson.
"In this regard, the criminal case was sent to court for forcible medical measures to be used on the minor," the statement said.
The Kondopoga District prosecutors told Interfax the boy is now receiving treatment in a psychiatric clinic, but his treatment is not connected to the church arson.
According to earlier reports, a fire practically completely destroyed the 18th century Assumption Church in Kondopoga on August 10, 2018. The abovementioned teenager is suspected of setting fire to the church. He was ordered to undergo a mental evaluation outside Karelia. The region's Children's Rights Commissioner Gennady Sarayev told Interfax the boy had been ordered to undergo treatment.
The Assumption Church is a unique monument of wooden architecture and a federal object of cultural heritage. It was built in 1764. It was provided state security by a decree issued by the RSFSR Council of Ministers in 1960. The total area of the monument is 260.3 square meters.
- Patriarch Kirill says there is not a drop of truth in rumors about his wealth 03 August 2020, 11:56
- Christianization of Rus was the main revolution in Russian history - Patriarch Kirill 28 July 2020, 20:26
- Poroshenko 'proud' of tomos criminal case against him 28 July 2020, 18:49
- Half of Georgian residents agree that faith helps protect against coronavirus - poll 28 July 2020, 16:54
- Russian Foreign Ministry sends notes of protest to Western states' embassies over LGBT flags hoisted on their buildings 28 July 2020, 14:04
- Kyrgyz Muslim board cancels Eid al-Adha collective prayers due to Covid-19 28 July 2020, 12:08
- Russian Orthodox Church calls for learning lessons from Hagia Sophia's transformation into mosque, Nantes Cathedral arson 27 July 2020, 17:00
- About three billion rubles donated annually for construction of Orthodox churches in Moscow 27 July 2020, 15:20
- Russian Church calls female circumcision barbaric 27 July 2020, 10:18
- Russian metropolitan is ready to become a volunteer for a coronavirus vaccine trial 27 July 2020, 10:15
- Patriarch Kirill obliges mother superior of a Moscow monastery to sell her luxury Mercedes 27 July 2020, 10:07
- Ukraine proposes to introduce fine for promoting homosexuality 24 July 2020, 19:43
- Former schema-hegumen not planning to leave Sredneuralsky Convent 24 July 2020, 19:38
- Patriarch Kirill approves decision of Yekaterinburg Diocese's court to defrock monk Sergy (Romanov) 24 July 2020, 11:25
- Patriarch Kirill calls on Armenia, Azerbaijan to have dialogue 24 July 2020, 10:57
- Fourteen nuns leave Sredneuralsky Convent taken over by former schema-hegumen 23 July 2020, 18:08
- FSB detains over 20 Islamic Movement of Uzbekistan terrorists in Moscow, Novosibirsk, Krasnoyarsk Territory 23 July 2020, 15:22
- Putin, Greek PM discuss situation surrounding Hagia Sofia Cathedral in Istanbul 23 July 2020, 10:18
- Charter flight with Chassids onboard arrived at Transcarpathia 22 July 2020, 17:13
- Residents of Altai are outraged with the tourists who hook medical masks on the trees "for ghosts" 22 July 2020, 16:32
- Yakutian 'shaman' Gabyshev discharged from mental hospital 22 July 2020, 14:26
- Construction of main Olympic team church has started in the south-west Moscow 20 July 2020, 18:19
- One UK, 6 U.S. NGOs designated undesirable in Russia (updated) 20 July 2020, 15:01
- St. Nicholas Cathedral in Nice nominated for the best architectural monument of France in 2020 20 July 2020, 14:59
- Russian Orthodox Church Synod calls on global community to keep special status of Hagia Sophia in Istanbul 17 July 2020, 16:32
- Change of Hagia Sophia status Turkey's internal affair - Dodon 17 July 2020, 15:36
- Lot of work to do investigating killing of Emperor Nicholas II, family members - Russian Investigative Committee 17 July 2020, 12:25
- Moscow-Ankara relations not to worsen over changed Hagia Sophia status - Peskov 17 July 2020, 12:02
- Members of Interparliamentary Assembly on Orthodoxy criticize Hagia Sophia status decision 15 July 2020, 12:05
- Bomb threat to Yerevan's Blue Mosque proves false 15 July 2020, 11:37