21 May 2019, 11:01
Fence at church construction site in Yekaterinburg to be torn down for peace's sake
Yekaterinburg, May 21, Interfax - A fence along the alley in the center of Yekaterinburg, where a church was planned to be built, will be removed in the very near future, Alexander Andreyev, the director of the Saint Catherine Foundation, which initiated the project, said.
"The metropolitan of Yekaterinburg has asked the Saint Catherine Foundation to remove the fence. We certainly responded to this appeal for the sake of peace and accord in our city. The fence will be removed very soon. The construction site will remain ours, we have every right to it and will wait for results of the poll," Andreyev told Interfax.
Once the fence has been removed, the foundation will start restoring the lawn which was damaged by crowds of protestors against the construction of a church in what is currently a small park.
"We in turn will ask the residents of Yekaterinburg, who were walking on and trampling the lawn and who really care about our city's green zone, to join us at this site on the day which the Saint Catherine Foundation will schedule for the restoration of the lawn," Andreyev said.
On Monday, a spokesperson for the Yekateriburg Diocese told Interfax: "Currently the metropolitan [Kirill of Yekaterinburg] is meeting with State Duma deputies. The meeting began with the metropolitan saying that he had sent a letter to the director of the Saint Catherine charitable foundation, requesting the removal of the fence from the construction site, which by now has unfortunately turned into a symbol of discord."
Mass protests against the church construction in Oktyabrskaya Square began on May 13 after a fence went up around the future construction site.
After a week of protests and arrests and the Russian president's intervening on May 18, the regional governor Yevgeny Kuivashev appealed to locals to discuss alternative sites where the church could be built. On May 20 the city administration announced a ten-day call for proposals on possible construction sites.
- Holy Synod of Moscow Patriarchate to assess Church of Greece decision to recognize OCU this fall 13 October 2019, 20:45
- Greek Orthodox Church hierarchs recognize OCU autocephaly 13 October 2019, 20:44
- New Syrian constitution must guarantee interests of all ethnic, religious groups - Putin 13 October 2019, 20:36
- Alma-Ata police conduct searches at Jehovah's Witnesses office 13 October 2019, 20:35
- Kardashian was named Egine after baptizing in Armenia 11 October 2019, 10:47
- Three Russian Islamist women accused of killing prison guard in Pakistan 11 October 2019, 10:45
- Man hurt in shooting near monastery in southern Urals 11 October 2019, 10:33
- Today's methods for countering anti-Semitism insufficient - FJCR 11 October 2019, 10:32
- Daughter, son-in-law of Orenburg priest charged with child molestation left in custody 09 October 2019, 14:12
- Two Jehovah's Witnesses released from custody, placed under house arrest in Russia's Primorye 08 October 2019, 13:38
- Kardashian baptized children in Armenia 08 October 2019, 10:12
- Georgian patriarch hopes for German president to facilitate settlement of Transcaucasia's crises 08 October 2019, 10:07
- Patriarch Kirill congratulates Western Europe's 'Russian exarchate' on rejoining Russian Orthodox Church 08 October 2019, 10:03
- Russian Exarchate to keep financial independence, traditions within Russian Orthodox Church 08 October 2019, 10:00
- Russian Orthodox Church Synod includes in it former Constantinople 'Russian exarchate' (updated) 07 October 2019, 15:46
- FJCR announcing two new synagogues in Crimea 04 October 2019, 10:00
- The Maronite Patriarchate denies it has recognized the OCU 04 October 2019, 10:00
- Bashkir hunter shot the priest taking him for a bear 03 October 2019, 11:57
- Chasids leave Uman 02 October 2019, 20:15
- Russian religious donators give Syria school worth $300,000 30 September 2019, 15:57
- The Russian Orthodox Church official believes Jehovah's Witnesses in Russia are persecuted for extremism, not faith 30 September 2019, 13:57
- Adult adopted children of arrested Orenburg priest don't believe accusations against him 30 September 2019, 13:27
- Belarusian Orthodox Church doesn't need autocephaly - church head 30 September 2019, 11:57
- Russian Church welcomes the news about reunion with "Russia exarchate" clerics 30 September 2019, 10:37
- Putin greets Russian Jews on Rosh Hashanah 30 September 2019, 10:30
- Absolute majority of Russian Exarchate clerics in Europe join Moscow Patriarchate 28 September 2019, 19:42
- Russian Orthodox Church calls on media to refrain from labeling Archpriest Stremsky as pedophile before court ruling 27 September 2019, 16:51
- Defense lawyers for Orenburg priest charged with child sexual abuse appeal his arrest 27 September 2019, 16:03
- About ten priests came to the court to vouch for a person involved in Moscow case 27 September 2019, 11:41
- Gay couple from Russia, who are witnesses in case involving children they adopted, seeking asylum in U.S 26 September 2019, 19:58