16 May 2019, 19:43
Opponents of building church again meet in downtown Yekaterinburg
Yekaterinburg, May 16, Interfax - Another protest against building a church began in downtown Yekaterinburg on Thursday evening, but this rally has not been authorized by the state authorities as the previous one, which has taken place in the last three days.
Metal fences are placed around the entire square and the adjacent area with a fountain near the Drama Theatre; police officers are checking all those wishing to attend the protest.
Participants of different age behave themselves calmly. The majority of people are staying near the fountain; no one is approaching a permanent fence, which encircles a construction site. People are walking and talking to each other; activists are collecting signatures in protection of the square. Police officers, officers of the Russian National Guard, patrol cars of the traffic police and riot police are patrolling the area of the rally.
A church should unite people, not divide them and in this connection "both sides need to take certain steps for this issue to be resolved in the interests of all those who actually live there," Russian President Vladimir Putin said at a media forum of the All-Russia People's Front on Thursday in reply to a participant's request for comment on the church's construction.
Mass unauthorized protests against building St. Catherine Church in Oktyabrskaya Square in downtown Yekaterinburg, where the square is situated, have been held in Yekaterinburg since May 13. Dozens of protesters have been detained; 102 protocols have been drawn up against 98 people, over the last three days the protests have been taking place. Twenty-one people were arrested for a term of two to ten days.
Putin suggested holding an opinion poll in comments on the situation in Yekaterinburg at a media forum of the All-Russia People's Front.
It was reported later that the Yekaterinburg administration wants to conduct a poll on building the church amid protests.
At the same time, construction works are underway on a site, where a church is planned to be built.
- Synod of Ukraine's new Church deprives Filaret of right to run Kiev Diocese 24 June 2019, 17:53
- Underground church discovered in Moldavia 24 June 2019, 17:49
- Georgian patriarch urges not to make mistakes 24 June 2019, 17:44
- Audience of films showing drugs should be warned of danger – Russian Church 24 June 2019, 14:15
- Georgia's LGBT community postpones march due to tensions 24 June 2019, 11:07
- Head of Georgian delegation in IAO refuses parliamentary mandate following riots in Tbilisi 21 June 2019, 17:37
- Filaret's 'local assembly' shows Constantinople project in Ukraine is not viable - Russian Orthodox Church 20 June 2019, 19:39
- Defense minister accuses U.S. of supporting non-mainstream religious entities in Russia 20 June 2019, 19:07
- Filaret, supporters to leave Ukraine's new church on June 24 - new church of Ukraine 20 June 2019, 19:03
- IAO delegation led by Russian MP leaving Tbilisi early 20 June 2019, 18:58
- Ivanishvili lashes out at organizers of Interparliamentary Assembly on Orthodoxy session for electing Russian as chair 20 June 2019, 18:56
- Filaret thinks Ukraine can have 3 Orthodox Churches 20 June 2019, 18:51
- "Kiev Patriarchate" cancels its dissolution 20 June 2019, 18:46
- Georgian president rules out 'Orthodox union' of Georgia and Russia 20 June 2019, 13:40
- Religion section editor of Dagestani newspaper suspected of financing terrorism arrested for 2 months 19 June 2019, 17:14
- Memorial in place of the second biggest burial of the Holocaust victims opened in Caucasus 19 June 2019, 17:09
- The Georgian Church official accuses US acting ambassador of trying to aggravate the situation around LGBT-action in Georgia 18 June 2019, 11:09
- Religion department editor of the Dagestani newspaper detained on suspicion of terrorism financing 17 June 2019, 11:30
- Russian Catholics don’t believe in islamization of Europe 07 June 2019, 15:30
- Leaders, members of 15 Jehovah's Witnesses cells held in Dagestan 07 June 2019, 10:55
- World will be better if people follow Bible, Torah, Koran - Putin 06 June 2019, 18:01
- Russian Catholics urge not to have illusions about possible pontiff's visit to Moscow 06 June 2019, 17:05
- The Russian Orthodox Church is not ready to welcome the Pope of Rome in Moscow 06 June 2019, 16:04
- Putin to meet with Pope Francis 06 June 2019, 14:34
- Russian Jews pray for “lifting up” the soul of the reposed wife of the Israel’s president 06 June 2019, 11:32
- Russia's Jews present country as example of tolerance for Europe 04 June 2019, 18:48
- Remembrance of Great Patriotic War protects Russia from xenophobia, anti-Semitism - Putin 04 June 2019, 17:48
- Putin attends unveiling of monument to heroes of resistance in concentration camps 04 June 2019, 17:41
- Russian Muslim community plays major role in combating extremist ideology - PM Medvedev 04 June 2019, 11:28
- Putin notes Russian Muslims' contribution to peoples' unity, fight against extremism 04 June 2019, 11:25