16 May 2019, 19:43
Opponents of building church again meet in downtown Yekaterinburg
Yekaterinburg, May 16, Interfax - Another protest against building a church began in downtown Yekaterinburg on Thursday evening, but this rally has not been authorized by the state authorities as the previous one, which has taken place in the last three days.
Metal fences are placed around the entire square and the adjacent area with a fountain near the Drama Theatre; police officers are checking all those wishing to attend the protest.
Participants of different age behave themselves calmly. The majority of people are staying near the fountain; no one is approaching a permanent fence, which encircles a construction site. People are walking and talking to each other; activists are collecting signatures in protection of the square. Police officers, officers of the Russian National Guard, patrol cars of the traffic police and riot police are patrolling the area of the rally.
A church should unite people, not divide them and in this connection "both sides need to take certain steps for this issue to be resolved in the interests of all those who actually live there," Russian President Vladimir Putin said at a media forum of the All-Russia People's Front on Thursday in reply to a participant's request for comment on the church's construction.
Mass unauthorized protests against building St. Catherine Church in Oktyabrskaya Square in downtown Yekaterinburg, where the square is situated, have been held in Yekaterinburg since May 13. Dozens of protesters have been detained; 102 protocols have been drawn up against 98 people, over the last three days the protests have been taking place. Twenty-one people were arrested for a term of two to ten days.
Putin suggested holding an opinion poll in comments on the situation in Yekaterinburg at a media forum of the All-Russia People's Front.
It was reported later that the Yekaterinburg administration wants to conduct a poll on building the church amid protests.
At the same time, construction works are underway on a site, where a church is planned to be built.
- Six Jehovah's Witnesses convicted in Penza 13 December 2019, 16:23
- Rosobrnadzor bans acceptance of students to seminary of Evangelical-Lutheran church 13 December 2019, 11:38
- Patriarch Kirill calls to continue fight for Orthodox unity in 2020 12 December 2019, 10:04
- Christ the Savior Cathedral receives fourth bomb threat in Dec 11 December 2019, 19:02
- Yakut shaman Gabyshev detained again - human rights activists 11 December 2019, 10:12
- Mufti Gainutdin calls on Muslim leaders to protect persecuted Christians of Africa, Middle East 11 December 2019, 10:10
- Ukraine's canonical Church adds 250 parishes in first year of OCU existence 11 December 2019, 10:08
- Christ the Savior Cathedral "mined" the third time in a few days 09 December 2019, 17:12
- Patriarch Kirill asks Mayor Sobyanin to help restore Orthodox Church in America's representation church in Moscow 06 December 2019, 18:51
- Moscow's Cathedral of Christ the Savior receives 2nd bomb threat this week 06 December 2019, 12:41
- Zelensky urges clerics to back Ukraine's initiatives in run-up to Normandy-format summit 05 December 2019, 13:54
- Saint Isaac's Cathedral and 5 other churchs in St. Petersburg received bomb threats 05 December 2019, 13:52
- Serbian president invites Putin to attend opening of St. Sava Cathedral in Belgrade 04 December 2019, 19:35
- Moscow's Christ the Savior Cathedral alerted to bomb threat 03 December 2019, 20:55
- One year on OCU defectors account for less than 1% of our parishes - UOC 03 December 2019, 18:46
- Moscow Jewish Museum to break stereotypes - director 03 December 2019, 17:26
- FSB reports detention of 9 Hizb ut-Tahrir members recruited Muslims 03 December 2019, 14:12
- Russian Bishops' Council to assess global Orthodox situation in near future 02 December 2019, 20:27
- Ukrainian Orthodox Church calls for end of infowar between Ukraine, Russia 02 December 2019, 18:45
- Russian Patriarch Kirill invited to Estonia by country's Lutheran leader 29 November 2019, 18:31
- Moscow court arrests U.S. rabbi in absentia in Schneerson library case 29 November 2019, 13:56
- Putin notes importance of coordination with OIC in countering threats 29 November 2019, 12:04
- Abortion rate in Russia declines considerably in past 18 years 28 November 2019, 19:06
- Patriarch of Alexandria sends kisses to head of OCU 28 November 2019, 18:29
- FJCR sees plans to arrest U.S. rabbi in Schneerson library case as absurd 28 November 2019, 17:23
- Bulgarian Church takes step toward recognizing OCU 28 November 2019, 17:21
- Ukraine has seen no attacks motivated by anti-Semitism in past 3 years - Association of Jewish Communities 27 November 2019, 17:18
- ROCOR to build new church in U.S 27 November 2019, 17:17
- Orthodox priest in Russia's Jewish Autonomous Region suspected of child molestation 26 November 2019, 14:25
- Georgian patriarch, foreign ambassadors discuss detention of doctor Gaprindashvili in S. Ossetia 26 November 2019, 10:07