14 May 2019, 17:42
Yekaterinburg diocese postpones planned prayer service at church construction site after protest
Yekaterinburg, May 14, Interfax - The Yekaterinburg Diocese has re-scheduled the prayer service it was planning to hold on Tuesday at the future construction site of a church in central Yekaterinburg, where a protest was held yesterday, the diocese's spokesperson Anzhela Tambova told Interfax on Tuesday.
"[The prayer service has been] postponed. Today it was nevertheless decided to pray at home and in parishes because prayer support in days like these is especially important. (...) Today the Orthodox believers will also pray for the people who staged the unauthorized rally yesterday, and for the builders for all matters to conclude in favor of our society," Tambova said.
The decision to postpone the service was influenced by the regional public transport ministry's recommendations not to take part in unauthorized rallies, she said.
"I think there is a link [with the recommendations]. Orthodox people are law-abiding people. I think that various nuances were taken into account here, and a decision has been made to postpone [the prayer service], to hold it a slightly later, while reinforcing prayers during these days," Tambova said.
It was reported that last night an unauthorized protest was held in Oktyabrskaya Square in Yekaterinburg, where a Cathedral of the Great Martyr Saint Catherine is due to be built. The people came out in defense of a small park to be replaced by the new church. The protest continued into the early hours of Tuesday.
The region's public security ministry urged locals not to take part in unauthorized protests. Regional governor Yevgeny Kuivashev urged the conflicting sides to sit down at the negotiating table.
Attempts to provoke civil standoff over the church construction issue are unacceptable, the diocese said.
Last September the city's architectural and urban-planning council decided to build a church in place of a small park in the city center. The idea was opposed by some residents. Their application for a referendum on the issue was turned down.
- Zelensky urges clerics to back Ukraine's initiatives in run-up to Normandy-format summit 05 December 2019, 13:54
- Saint Isaac's Cathedral and 5 other churchs in St. Petersburg received bomb threats 05 December 2019, 13:52
- Serbian president invites Putin to attend opening of St. Sava Cathedral in Belgrade 04 December 2019, 19:35
- Moscow's Christ the Savior Cathedral alerted to bomb threat 03 December 2019, 20:55
- One year on OCU defectors account for less than 1% of our parishes - UOC 03 December 2019, 18:46
- Moscow Jewish Museum to break stereotypes - director 03 December 2019, 17:26
- FSB reports detention of 9 Hizb ut-Tahrir members recruited Muslims 03 December 2019, 14:12
- Russian Bishops' Council to assess global Orthodox situation in near future 02 December 2019, 20:27
- Ukrainian Orthodox Church calls for end of infowar between Ukraine, Russia 02 December 2019, 18:45
- Russian Patriarch Kirill invited to Estonia by country's Lutheran leader 29 November 2019, 18:31
- Moscow court arrests U.S. rabbi in absentia in Schneerson library case 29 November 2019, 13:56
- Putin notes importance of coordination with OIC in countering threats 29 November 2019, 12:04
- Abortion rate in Russia declines considerably in past 18 years 28 November 2019, 19:06
- Patriarch of Alexandria sends kisses to head of OCU 28 November 2019, 18:29
- FJCR sees plans to arrest U.S. rabbi in Schneerson library case as absurd 28 November 2019, 17:23
- Bulgarian Church takes step toward recognizing OCU 28 November 2019, 17:21
- Ukraine has seen no attacks motivated by anti-Semitism in past 3 years - Association of Jewish Communities 27 November 2019, 17:18
- ROCOR to build new church in U.S 27 November 2019, 17:17
- Orthodox priest in Russia's Jewish Autonomous Region suspected of child molestation 26 November 2019, 14:25
- Georgian patriarch, foreign ambassadors discuss detention of doctor Gaprindashvili in S. Ossetia 26 November 2019, 10:07
- Interreligious Council of Russia calls on int'l community to restore Middle East's holy sites 25 November 2019, 20:28
- Sholem Aleichem monument vandalized near synagogue in Kiev 25 November 2019, 18:46
- Russian parliament, govt agree that extra measures needed to fight domestic violence - Matviyenko 25 November 2019, 16:06
- Russian Orthodox Church cautions against combating domestic violence with Western methods 25 November 2019, 16:05
- Patriarch Kirill suspends operation of Alexandria Patriarchate's Moscow mission 25 November 2019, 11:35
- Meeting between heads of Churches important in crisis in inter-Orthodox relations - Metropolitan Hilarion 22 November 2019, 15:41
- Russian Orthodox Church welcomes Jerusalem patriarch's proposal of Church leaders' meeting to settle differences 21 November 2019, 20:50
- Patriarch of Jerusalem awarded for strengthening Orthodox Christian unity 21 November 2019, 20:47
- Patriarch of Jerusalem initiates meeting of heads of local churches in Amman with view to preserving church unity 21 November 2019, 17:22
- Putin stresses importance of joint efforts to protect Christians in Middle East 20 November 2019, 21:09