13 May 2019, 17:19
A thousand of Russian students joined the March of Life in Auschwitzh
Moscow, May 13, Interfax - A group of Jewish students from Russia held the March of Life on Sunday in memorial complex Auschwitzh-Birkenau not far from the town of Auschwitz.
"Our enemies wanted to eliminate our nation entirely, that is why we should restore Jewish life, strengthen our spirit in observing commandments of the Torah, set up Jewish families," Chief Rabbi of Russia Berel Lazar, addressing the participants in the march.
He urged all people of good will to unite against misanthropic ideologies and regretted that the number of xenophobic and antisemitic manifestations have recently grown all around the world and especially in Europe.
In his turn rabbi Yisroel Goldstein, who has lost his two fingers in terrorist attack in synagogue in American town of Poway, urged young people not to conceal their Jewish origin.
"When the terrorist who shot dead our parishioner pointed his gun at me, I had a choice: to lay down on the ground or to try to prevent other victims. I jumped up on him and closed the gun with my hands, so I lost my two fingers. I urge all young people present here to declare your Jewry and proudly carry out the light of the Torah to people," he said.
Resuming the ceremony, the students lighted the candles to commemorate those who were killed in the camp. Then the column of students headed by rabbis marches through the camp.
The March of Life is held in memorial complex Auschwitzh-Birkenau each year. Thus Jews remind society about Holocaust and attract attention of the world community to recently raising problems of xenophobia and antisemitism.
- Zelensky urges clerics to back Ukraine's initiatives in run-up to Normandy-format summit 05 December 2019, 13:54
- Saint Isaac's Cathedral and 5 other churchs in St. Petersburg received bomb threats 05 December 2019, 13:52
- Serbian president invites Putin to attend opening of St. Sava Cathedral in Belgrade 04 December 2019, 19:35
- Moscow's Christ the Savior Cathedral alerted to bomb threat 03 December 2019, 20:55
- One year on OCU defectors account for less than 1% of our parishes - UOC 03 December 2019, 18:46
- Moscow Jewish Museum to break stereotypes - director 03 December 2019, 17:26
- FSB reports detention of 9 Hizb ut-Tahrir members recruited Muslims 03 December 2019, 14:12
- Russian Bishops' Council to assess global Orthodox situation in near future 02 December 2019, 20:27
- Ukrainian Orthodox Church calls for end of infowar between Ukraine, Russia 02 December 2019, 18:45
- Russian Patriarch Kirill invited to Estonia by country's Lutheran leader 29 November 2019, 18:31
- Moscow court arrests U.S. rabbi in absentia in Schneerson library case 29 November 2019, 13:56
- Putin notes importance of coordination with OIC in countering threats 29 November 2019, 12:04
- Abortion rate in Russia declines considerably in past 18 years 28 November 2019, 19:06
- Patriarch of Alexandria sends kisses to head of OCU 28 November 2019, 18:29
- FJCR sees plans to arrest U.S. rabbi in Schneerson library case as absurd 28 November 2019, 17:23
- Bulgarian Church takes step toward recognizing OCU 28 November 2019, 17:21
- Ukraine has seen no attacks motivated by anti-Semitism in past 3 years - Association of Jewish Communities 27 November 2019, 17:18
- ROCOR to build new church in U.S 27 November 2019, 17:17
- Orthodox priest in Russia's Jewish Autonomous Region suspected of child molestation 26 November 2019, 14:25
- Georgian patriarch, foreign ambassadors discuss detention of doctor Gaprindashvili in S. Ossetia 26 November 2019, 10:07
- Interreligious Council of Russia calls on int'l community to restore Middle East's holy sites 25 November 2019, 20:28
- Sholem Aleichem monument vandalized near synagogue in Kiev 25 November 2019, 18:46
- Russian parliament, govt agree that extra measures needed to fight domestic violence - Matviyenko 25 November 2019, 16:06
- Russian Orthodox Church cautions against combating domestic violence with Western methods 25 November 2019, 16:05
- Patriarch Kirill suspends operation of Alexandria Patriarchate's Moscow mission 25 November 2019, 11:35
- Meeting between heads of Churches important in crisis in inter-Orthodox relations - Metropolitan Hilarion 22 November 2019, 15:41
- Russian Orthodox Church welcomes Jerusalem patriarch's proposal of Church leaders' meeting to settle differences 21 November 2019, 20:50
- Patriarch of Jerusalem awarded for strengthening Orthodox Christian unity 21 November 2019, 20:47
- Patriarch of Jerusalem initiates meeting of heads of local churches in Amman with view to preserving church unity 21 November 2019, 17:22
- Putin stresses importance of joint efforts to protect Christians in Middle East 20 November 2019, 21:09