13 May 2019, 16:15
Schism is possible in OCU - "Honored patriarch" Filaret
Kiev, May 13, Interfax - A schism is possible in the new Orthodox church of Ukraine (OCU), "Honored Patriarch" Filaret Denisenko said, adding that he is authorized to call an assembly.
In his commentary to a news program, which aired on Sunday, Filaret said head of the new Ukrainian church Yepifaniy Dumenko talks with him very rarely.
Filaret said he had talked with Yepifaniy no more than five times since the creation of the new church of Ukraine.
"Is that communication? The church needs to be run every day. Therefore, there is no communication. Because there is no communication - and it should be - the church is divided because my task as patriarch now is to keep the Ukrainian church," he said.
At the same time, he said that he as head of the Orthodox Church of Ukraine can call an assembly.
The honored patriarch said the (non-canonical - IF) Kiev Patriarchate still exists.
"It [the Kiev Patriarchate] exists. It doesn't need to be brought back. It exists. Is there a patriarch? If there is a patriarch, there is a patriarchate. There is the Kiev Patriarchate. Therefore, there is no need to bring the patriarchate back. It exists and it should exist [...] And there will be a patriarchate. And it will not stay self-proclaimed forever. Time will come when it will be recognized," the former head of the "Kiev Patriarchate" said.
Responding to a question as to whether he believes the OCU can be divided, Filaret said: "I believe it is possible. But we will create a unified church."
A unification assembly where the Orthodox Church was created was held in Kiev on December 15, 2018. A local assembly was held before the unification assembly. The so-called Kiev Patriarchate had made a decision to eliminate the church.
On January 5, Ecumenical Patriarch Bartholomew signed a tomos granting autocephaly to the new church of Ukraine. He gave the document to Yepifaniy on January 6 and his enthronement took place on February 3.
- Holy Synod of Moscow Patriarchate to assess Church of Greece decision to recognize OCU this fall 13 October 2019, 20:45
- Greek Orthodox Church hierarchs recognize OCU autocephaly 13 October 2019, 20:44
- New Syrian constitution must guarantee interests of all ethnic, religious groups - Putin 13 October 2019, 20:36
- Alma-Ata police conduct searches at Jehovah's Witnesses office 13 October 2019, 20:35
- Kardashian was named Egine after baptizing in Armenia 11 October 2019, 10:47
- Three Russian Islamist women accused of killing prison guard in Pakistan 11 October 2019, 10:45
- Man hurt in shooting near monastery in southern Urals 11 October 2019, 10:33
- Today's methods for countering anti-Semitism insufficient - FJCR 11 October 2019, 10:32
- Daughter, son-in-law of Orenburg priest charged with child molestation left in custody 09 October 2019, 14:12
- Two Jehovah's Witnesses released from custody, placed under house arrest in Russia's Primorye 08 October 2019, 13:38
- Kardashian baptized children in Armenia 08 October 2019, 10:12
- Georgian patriarch hopes for German president to facilitate settlement of Transcaucasia's crises 08 October 2019, 10:07
- Patriarch Kirill congratulates Western Europe's 'Russian exarchate' on rejoining Russian Orthodox Church 08 October 2019, 10:03
- Russian Exarchate to keep financial independence, traditions within Russian Orthodox Church 08 October 2019, 10:00
- Russian Orthodox Church Synod includes in it former Constantinople 'Russian exarchate' (updated) 07 October 2019, 15:46
- FJCR announcing two new synagogues in Crimea 04 October 2019, 10:00
- The Maronite Patriarchate denies it has recognized the OCU 04 October 2019, 10:00
- Bashkir hunter shot the priest taking him for a bear 03 October 2019, 11:57
- Chasids leave Uman 02 October 2019, 20:15
- Russian religious donators give Syria school worth $300,000 30 September 2019, 15:57
- The Russian Orthodox Church official believes Jehovah's Witnesses in Russia are persecuted for extremism, not faith 30 September 2019, 13:57
- Adult adopted children of arrested Orenburg priest don't believe accusations against him 30 September 2019, 13:27
- Belarusian Orthodox Church doesn't need autocephaly - church head 30 September 2019, 11:57
- Russian Church welcomes the news about reunion with "Russia exarchate" clerics 30 September 2019, 10:37
- Putin greets Russian Jews on Rosh Hashanah 30 September 2019, 10:30
- Absolute majority of Russian Exarchate clerics in Europe join Moscow Patriarchate 28 September 2019, 19:42
- Russian Orthodox Church calls on media to refrain from labeling Archpriest Stremsky as pedophile before court ruling 27 September 2019, 16:51
- Defense lawyers for Orenburg priest charged with child sexual abuse appeal his arrest 27 September 2019, 16:03
- About ten priests came to the court to vouch for a person involved in Moscow case 27 September 2019, 11:41
- Gay couple from Russia, who are witnesses in case involving children they adopted, seeking asylum in U.S 26 September 2019, 19:58