15 April 2019, 10:50
Peter the Great's charter by which he appoints Metropolitan of Kiev delivered to Ukraine from Germany
Kiev, April 15, Interfax - A historic document signed by Russian Emperor Peter I and dated 1708 was brought back from Germany to Ukraine on Friday night, Ukrainian Culture Minister Yevgeny Nishchuk said.
"We celebrate an extraordinary event tonight: a unique cultural property - a historic document, a letter of Peter I, came to Ukraine from Germany. [...] The artefact dated 1708 was lost during World War II. Since late 1950s, it had been kept in the library of the Institute for Eastern European History and Area Studies at University of Tubingen (the federal state of Baden Wurttemberg)," Nishchuk wrote on Facebook on Saturday.
The minister revealed that he and his deputy Tamara Mazur went together to Kiev's Borispol Airport to meet the artifact. Nishchuk illustrated his post with some photos.
It is "an extremely interesting manuscript on parchment," Nishchuk said. The manuscript is in a silver gilt case and has a size of 80x58 cm.
The document was immediately sent to the National Reserve Sophia Kievskaya (Sophia of Kiev), where it will soon be presented to the public, he said.
According to historians, the document is expressly indicative of "an annexation of the Ukrainian local Church by Muscovy," he went on. "Since it contains a reservation made by Peter I that Moscow had strong fears that the Metropolitan of Kiev would return under the wing of Constantinople," Nishchuk said.
The transfer of the manuscript took place thanks to the work done by the intergovernmental commission on the return of cultural properties displaced during World War II. The commission was led by Ukraine's First Deputy Culture Minister Svetlana Fomenko and Germany's Doctor Michel Jansen.
Media reported earlier that on March 14, 2019, Germany's State Secretary of Federal Foreign Office Walter Lindner gave Ukrainian Ambassador to Germany Andrey Melnik a charter on the appointment of a Kiev metropolitan signed by Russian Tsar Peter I the Great in 1708. The ceremony took place at the German ministry in Berlin. In this document, Peter I confirms the metropolitan's appointment. The document also stipulates his rights and the position of the Metropolia of Kiev.
Before World War II, the artifact was kept in the Vernadsky National Library of Ukraine in Kiev and, according to experts, was carted off to Germany during the Nazi occupation.
- Court arrests Moscow church attacker 18 February 2020, 19:27
- Investigators file for arrest of suspected assailant of Moscow churchgoers 18 February 2020, 12:18
- Man who attacked people in Moscow church says didn't plan crime, 'got up on wrong side of bed' 17 February 2020, 22:06
- Four members of banned pseudo-religious group convicted in Orenburg Region 17 February 2020, 18:38
- Georgian Church decides not to take part in pan-Orthodox meeting in Jordan 17 February 2020, 18:33
- Romanian Church to agree with granting of tomos to Orthodox Church in Ukraine, provided that Constantinople and Moscow reach consensus - media (updated) 14 February 2020, 21:11
- Karekin II grateful to Syria for recognizing Armenian genocide 14 February 2020, 18:08
- Pan-Orthodox meeting on 'Ukrainian issue' to be held in Amman on Feb 26 (updated) 14 February 2020, 15:08
- No same-sex marriage to be legitimized in Russia as long as I am president - Putin (updated) 13 February 2020, 17:31
- Orthodox leaders to discuss 'Ukrainian issue' in Amman in late Feb (updated) 12 February 2020, 21:28
- CPRF doesn't mind mentioning God in Russian constitution 11 February 2020, 18:30
- Criminal case opened in Transbaikal Territory after searches of residences of suspected Jehovah's Witnesses 10 February 2020, 19:57
- A woman could head the Russian Church synodal department 10 February 2020, 12:34
- Russian Church proposes to designate the special role of Russians in Constitution 10 February 2020, 12:15
- Zelensky invites Pope to visit Ukraine 10 February 2020, 11:58
- Zelensky asks Pope to help with release of Ukrainians in custody in Russia, Donbass 10 February 2020, 11:55
- Alexander Metochion in Jerusalem working as usual, has no info on property handover 05 February 2020, 21:25
- Yakut shaman complains to ECHR 05 February 2020, 18:09
- OCU terminates Filaret's membership in Holy Synod 05 February 2020, 12:27
- Russian Orthodox Church could discontinue practice of blessing WMDs 04 February 2020, 21:05
- Enshrining 'traditional marriage' in constitution at bottom of working group's agenda 04 February 2020, 19:14
- Krasheninnikov against enshrining family, God in constitution 04 February 2020, 18:58
- Pompeo praises Uzbekistan for progress in upholding religious freedom 03 February 2020, 19:17
- Marriage, not family should be defined as union between man and woman in Russian Constitution - Russian Orthodox Church 03 February 2020, 18:04
- Working group to discuss appropriateness of mentioning God in Constitution – Kremlin 03 February 2020, 13:57
- Patriarch Kirill proposes mentioning God in Constitution 02 February 2020, 19:02
- Orthodox society active at Alexander Metochion in Jerusalem still has no info on property transfer to Russia 31 January 2020, 15:14
- Activities of Jehovah's Witnesses stopped in Komi 31 January 2020, 15:11
- Federation of Jewish Communities of Russia doing important work preserving truth about war - Putin 29 January 2020, 14:08
- Conditions for Jewish community comfortable in Russia - Rabbi Lazar 29 January 2020, 14:07