04 April 2019, 10:26
Ukraine's new church fears possibility of tomos revocation
Kiev, April 4, Interfax - Ioasaf Vasilikiv, the head of the Ivano-Frankovsk and Galicia Diocese of the new Ukrainian church, has criticized unauthorized changes in its charter, which he believes may lead to the revocation of the tomos.
"Someone really doesn't want our church to have a future," Ioasaf said in an interview with the publication Kiev Orthodoxy.
The clergy is happy with the charter of the new church, which was written in Constantinople, the hierarch said.
"The main principles of our church's activities outlined in the charter of the Orthodox Church of Ukraine fully satisfy the diocese hierarchs. The charters of the dioceses contain good descriptions of the fundamental principles of interaction between the metropolitanate and dioceses, dioceses and parishes, and therefore it is unreasonable and premature to make any changes to the charter of the Orthodox Church of Ukraine, they will only lead to the revocation of the tomos," the hierarch said.
He said he concerned by the fact that the efforts made by the administration of the Orthodox Church of Ukraine will turn its Synod into a "metropolitan political bureau." The hierarch said he means the plans to include in the synod permanent members contrary to the rule stated in the charter so that all diocese archbishops take turns at sitting in the Synod and are responsible for church development.
Such policies of the Orthodox Church of Ukraine lead "to a new division of the Church, and we can't let that happen," the hierarch said.
When the new Ukrainian church was created, Constantinople Patriarch Bartholomew insisted that all changes to its charter should be approved by Constantinople and that there should be rotation in its Synod. In the meantime, in mid March, three months after the foundation of the Orthodox Church of Ukraine, its honored patriarch Filaret (Denisenko) said he did not like the charter proposed by Constantinople.
"Personally, I am not happy with the charter. And therefore we should hold a meeting in the next Local Assembly and adopt the charter of the Ukrainian Orthodox Church. Not the Kiev Metropolitanate in the Constantinople Patriarchate, because we are now using this charter, a Greek charter. We as an autocephalous church need to have our own, Ukrainian charter," Filaret said.
- Court arrests Moscow church attacker 18 February 2020, 19:27
- Investigators file for arrest of suspected assailant of Moscow churchgoers 18 February 2020, 12:18
- Man who attacked people in Moscow church says didn't plan crime, 'got up on wrong side of bed' 17 February 2020, 22:06
- Four members of banned pseudo-religious group convicted in Orenburg Region 17 February 2020, 18:38
- Georgian Church decides not to take part in pan-Orthodox meeting in Jordan 17 February 2020, 18:33
- Romanian Church to agree with granting of tomos to Orthodox Church in Ukraine, provided that Constantinople and Moscow reach consensus - media (updated) 14 February 2020, 21:11
- Karekin II grateful to Syria for recognizing Armenian genocide 14 February 2020, 18:08
- Pan-Orthodox meeting on 'Ukrainian issue' to be held in Amman on Feb 26 (updated) 14 February 2020, 15:08
- No same-sex marriage to be legitimized in Russia as long as I am president - Putin (updated) 13 February 2020, 17:31
- Orthodox leaders to discuss 'Ukrainian issue' in Amman in late Feb (updated) 12 February 2020, 21:28
- CPRF doesn't mind mentioning God in Russian constitution 11 February 2020, 18:30
- Criminal case opened in Transbaikal Territory after searches of residences of suspected Jehovah's Witnesses 10 February 2020, 19:57
- A woman could head the Russian Church synodal department 10 February 2020, 12:34
- Russian Church proposes to designate the special role of Russians in Constitution 10 February 2020, 12:15
- Zelensky invites Pope to visit Ukraine 10 February 2020, 11:58
- Zelensky asks Pope to help with release of Ukrainians in custody in Russia, Donbass 10 February 2020, 11:55
- Alexander Metochion in Jerusalem working as usual, has no info on property handover 05 February 2020, 21:25
- Yakut shaman complains to ECHR 05 February 2020, 18:09
- OCU terminates Filaret's membership in Holy Synod 05 February 2020, 12:27
- Russian Orthodox Church could discontinue practice of blessing WMDs 04 February 2020, 21:05
- Enshrining 'traditional marriage' in constitution at bottom of working group's agenda 04 February 2020, 19:14
- Krasheninnikov against enshrining family, God in constitution 04 February 2020, 18:58
- Pompeo praises Uzbekistan for progress in upholding religious freedom 03 February 2020, 19:17
- Marriage, not family should be defined as union between man and woman in Russian Constitution - Russian Orthodox Church 03 February 2020, 18:04
- Working group to discuss appropriateness of mentioning God in Constitution – Kremlin 03 February 2020, 13:57
- Patriarch Kirill proposes mentioning God in Constitution 02 February 2020, 19:02
- Orthodox society active at Alexander Metochion in Jerusalem still has no info on property transfer to Russia 31 January 2020, 15:14
- Activities of Jehovah's Witnesses stopped in Komi 31 January 2020, 15:11
- Federation of Jewish Communities of Russia doing important work preserving truth about war - Putin 29 January 2020, 14:08
- Conditions for Jewish community comfortable in Russia - Rabbi Lazar 29 January 2020, 14:07