29 March 2019, 18:22
Kiev court to consider Church's name change lawsuit against Culture Ministry
Kiev, March 29, Interfax - An administrative court in Kiev has opened proceedings in a lawsuit filed by the Kiev Metropolitanate of the Ukrainian Orthodox Church (UOC) against the Culture Ministry which has demanded that the church's name state its affiliation with the Moscow Patriarchate.
The plaintiff asks the court to rule that the ministry acted unlawfully by publishing, on its website and in the government gazette, a list of religious organizations required to change their bylaws' section regarding the name change, the court's press service said on Friday.
"The case will be considered in accordance with the rules for a simplified legal process, i.e. without notifying the parties to the case," the press service said.
On Dec 20, 2018, the Ukrainian Verkhovnaya Rada passed legislation obliging the Ukrainian Orthodox Church of the Moscow Patriarchate to indicate its affiliation with the Russian Orthodox Church in its name.
"A religious organization that is a structural part of a religious organization with its center in the state that has committed military aggression against Ukraine and temporarily occupied its territory must indicate affiliation with this religious organization outside the country in its name," the bill reads.
On Dec 22, President Pyotr Poroshenko signed into law this bill.
The Culture Ministry conducted a religious expert analysis and published a list of religious organizations, including the UOC, which are required to change their name and bylaws accordingly. The organizations had three months to make such changes or face possible closure by a court order, the ministry said.
Meanwhile, the UOC claims that it did not fall under the law compelling religious organizations headquartered in an aggressor-country to state such affiliation. The UOC's position is that its administrative center was not in Moscow but in Kiev and that its links with Moscow were merely spiritual.
- Court arrests Moscow church attacker 18 February 2020, 19:27
- Investigators file for arrest of suspected assailant of Moscow churchgoers 18 February 2020, 12:18
- Man who attacked people in Moscow church says didn't plan crime, 'got up on wrong side of bed' 17 February 2020, 22:06
- Four members of banned pseudo-religious group convicted in Orenburg Region 17 February 2020, 18:38
- Georgian Church decides not to take part in pan-Orthodox meeting in Jordan 17 February 2020, 18:33
- Romanian Church to agree with granting of tomos to Orthodox Church in Ukraine, provided that Constantinople and Moscow reach consensus - media (updated) 14 February 2020, 21:11
- Karekin II grateful to Syria for recognizing Armenian genocide 14 February 2020, 18:08
- Pan-Orthodox meeting on 'Ukrainian issue' to be held in Amman on Feb 26 (updated) 14 February 2020, 15:08
- No same-sex marriage to be legitimized in Russia as long as I am president - Putin (updated) 13 February 2020, 17:31
- Orthodox leaders to discuss 'Ukrainian issue' in Amman in late Feb (updated) 12 February 2020, 21:28
- CPRF doesn't mind mentioning God in Russian constitution 11 February 2020, 18:30
- Criminal case opened in Transbaikal Territory after searches of residences of suspected Jehovah's Witnesses 10 February 2020, 19:57
- A woman could head the Russian Church synodal department 10 February 2020, 12:34
- Russian Church proposes to designate the special role of Russians in Constitution 10 February 2020, 12:15
- Zelensky invites Pope to visit Ukraine 10 February 2020, 11:58
- Zelensky asks Pope to help with release of Ukrainians in custody in Russia, Donbass 10 February 2020, 11:55
- Alexander Metochion in Jerusalem working as usual, has no info on property handover 05 February 2020, 21:25
- Yakut shaman complains to ECHR 05 February 2020, 18:09
- OCU terminates Filaret's membership in Holy Synod 05 February 2020, 12:27
- Russian Orthodox Church could discontinue practice of blessing WMDs 04 February 2020, 21:05
- Enshrining 'traditional marriage' in constitution at bottom of working group's agenda 04 February 2020, 19:14
- Krasheninnikov against enshrining family, God in constitution 04 February 2020, 18:58
- Pompeo praises Uzbekistan for progress in upholding religious freedom 03 February 2020, 19:17
- Marriage, not family should be defined as union between man and woman in Russian Constitution - Russian Orthodox Church 03 February 2020, 18:04
- Working group to discuss appropriateness of mentioning God in Constitution – Kremlin 03 February 2020, 13:57
- Patriarch Kirill proposes mentioning God in Constitution 02 February 2020, 19:02
- Orthodox society active at Alexander Metochion in Jerusalem still has no info on property transfer to Russia 31 January 2020, 15:14
- Activities of Jehovah's Witnesses stopped in Komi 31 January 2020, 15:11
- Federation of Jewish Communities of Russia doing important work preserving truth about war - Putin 29 January 2020, 14:08
- Conditions for Jewish community comfortable in Russia - Rabbi Lazar 29 January 2020, 14:07