29 March 2019, 18:22
Kiev court to consider Church's name change lawsuit against Culture Ministry
Kiev, March 29, Interfax - An administrative court in Kiev has opened proceedings in a lawsuit filed by the Kiev Metropolitanate of the Ukrainian Orthodox Church (UOC) against the Culture Ministry which has demanded that the church's name state its affiliation with the Moscow Patriarchate.
The plaintiff asks the court to rule that the ministry acted unlawfully by publishing, on its website and in the government gazette, a list of religious organizations required to change their bylaws' section regarding the name change, the court's press service said on Friday.
"The case will be considered in accordance with the rules for a simplified legal process, i.e. without notifying the parties to the case," the press service said.
On Dec 20, 2018, the Ukrainian Verkhovnaya Rada passed legislation obliging the Ukrainian Orthodox Church of the Moscow Patriarchate to indicate its affiliation with the Russian Orthodox Church in its name.
"A religious organization that is a structural part of a religious organization with its center in the state that has committed military aggression against Ukraine and temporarily occupied its territory must indicate affiliation with this religious organization outside the country in its name," the bill reads.
On Dec 22, President Pyotr Poroshenko signed into law this bill.
The Culture Ministry conducted a religious expert analysis and published a list of religious organizations, including the UOC, which are required to change their name and bylaws accordingly. The organizations had three months to make such changes or face possible closure by a court order, the ministry said.
Meanwhile, the UOC claims that it did not fall under the law compelling religious organizations headquartered in an aggressor-country to state such affiliation. The UOC's position is that its administrative center was not in Moscow but in Kiev and that its links with Moscow were merely spiritual.
- One more Russian Orthodox metropolitan carries out air procession with cross against coronavirus 02 April 2020, 17:34
- Head of the Byelorussian Orthodox Church to fly along the country’s borders with relics and prayers to stop coronavirus 02 April 2020, 17:32
- About 20 members of Jewish community of Russia hospitalized with coronavirus suspected 02 April 2020, 16:05
- Moscow rabbi recovers from coronavirus 01 April 2020, 17:09
- Patriarch to go around Moscow with icon of Our Lady to rid people of coronavirus 01 April 2020, 13:24
- Patriarch Kirill calls on believers to refrain from visiting churches amid coronavirus pandemic 29 March 2020, 20:09
- Opera singer Svetlana Kasyan hospitalized with coronavirus 28 March 2020, 18:10
- Patriarch Kirill prays for the end of pandemic 28 March 2020, 17:58
- The Federation of Jewish Communities of Russia will give Pesach food sets to all parishioners 28 March 2020, 17:55
- Case of leader of Aum Shinrikyo group in Russia sent to prosecutor 26 March 2020, 19:27
- Belarusian Orthodox Church doesn't plan to cancel Easter processions 26 March 2020, 16:25
- Russian Orthodox Church shows understanding of Sobyanin's advice not to attend service but says churches will stay open 26 March 2020, 15:08
- Sobyanin asks Muscovites not to visit religious sites 26 March 2020, 10:49
- Ukrainian monasteries will assign premises for Covid-19 patients 25 March 2020, 19:24
- FJCR closes all its synagogues in Russia 25 March 2020, 15:49
- Monastery south of Moscow thrown away dozens of dogs, police was told they miraculously flew away 24 March 2020, 17:40
- Lukashenko on coronavirus: If we get through until Orthodox Easter, we'll live 24 March 2020, 14:40
- Kyrgyz missionary contracts Covid-19 in Pakistan - Kyrgyz Foreign Ministry 23 March 2020, 14:40
- Georgian churches to let in max. 10 people in state of emergency - premier 23 March 2020, 12:29
- Russian Orthodox Church Outside of Russia's council postponed due to coronavirus 20 March 2020, 19:52
- Rabbi beaten to death in Dagestan 20 March 2020, 19:12
- Friday prayers cancelled in Moscow's mosques 20 March 2020, 13:33
- Tajikistan lifts ban on joint prayers in mosques 19 March 2020, 19:02
- Russian Orthodox Church does not exclude usage of plastic spoons for Communion 18 March 2020, 16:43
- Chief rabbi of Russia closes his synagogue 18 March 2020, 14:12
- Russian Synod orders increased sanitary measures at all dioceses with coronavirus 18 March 2020, 10:40
- Cathedral of Christ the Savior receives bomb threat on Tue 18 March 2020, 10:38
- Russian Church introduces exceptional measures for coronavirus prevention 17 March 2020, 19:00
- Leader of Pentecostals considers coronavirus a sign of coming Apocalypse 17 March 2020, 14:46
- Moscow's stance on Alexander Metochion in Jerusalem deals with reinstatement of Russia's property rights - Russian Embassy in Israel 17 March 2020, 11:12