29 March 2019, 14:36
Kremlin follows St. Isaac's Cathedral situation, but refrains from comment
Moscow, March 29, Interfax - The Kremlin is following the situation surrounding the status of St. Isaac's Cathedral in St. Petersburg, but views this matter as the prerogative of the regional authorities, Russian presidential press secretary Dmitry Peskov told reporters on Friday.
"We don't have any official information on this topic. We don't know what served as the primary source of information for the articles that appeared today," Peskov said.
"But it is about St. Petersburg. It is about one of the major historical sites. Therefore, the Kremlin is interested in everything that happens there," he said.
At the same time, "it is the prerogative of the city, of the region. The Kremlin's opinion is not needed here," Peskov said.
RBC reported on Friday, citing a source in the Russian government and Culture Ministry, that a decision had been made not to transfer St. Isaac's Cathedral to the Russian Orthodox Church.
In early 2017, the St. Petersburg government announced the decision to hand over St. Isaac's Cathedral to the Moscow Patriarchate on the basis of the 2010 federal law on the transfer of religious assets to religious organizations.
The cathedral's possible transfer to the Russian Orthodox Church has drawn an outcry in St. Petersburg. A lawsuit was filed challenging the city authorities' decision. In March 2017, the Smolninsky District Court of St. Petersburg confirmed that the December 30, 2016 decree is not a legal act authorizing the cathedral's handover to the Russian Orthodox Church.
- Russian Catholics don’t believe in islamization of Europe 07 June 2019, 15:30
- Leaders, members of 15 Jehovah's Witnesses cells held in Dagestan 07 June 2019, 10:55
- World will be better if people follow Bible, Torah, Koran - Putin 06 June 2019, 18:01
- Russian Catholics urge not to have illusions about possible pontiff's visit to Moscow 06 June 2019, 17:05
- The Russian Orthodox Church is not ready to welcome the Pope of Rome in Moscow 06 June 2019, 16:04
- Putin to meet with Pope Francis 06 June 2019, 14:34
- Russian Jews pray for “lifting up” the soul of the reposed wife of the Israel’s president 06 June 2019, 11:32
- Russia's Jews present country as example of tolerance for Europe 04 June 2019, 18:48
- Remembrance of Great Patriotic War protects Russia from xenophobia, anti-Semitism - Putin 04 June 2019, 17:48
- Putin attends unveiling of monument to heroes of resistance in concentration camps 04 June 2019, 17:41
- Russian Muslim community plays major role in combating extremist ideology - PM Medvedev 04 June 2019, 11:28
- Putin notes Russian Muslims' contribution to peoples' unity, fight against extremism 04 June 2019, 11:25
- Last Sobibor uprising survivor dies 03 June 2019, 18:17
- Kiev Patriarchate does not exist, never existed - Patriarch Bartholomew 03 June 2019, 14:54
- Constantinople cannot solve complicated religious situation in Ukraine - Russian Orthodox Church 30 May 2019, 19:45
- Putin congratulates Jews on Salvation and Liberation Day 30 May 2019, 19:00
- Protests against construction of churches plotted by outside forces - Russian Orthodox Church 28 May 2019, 18:42
- Church on site of first Russian settlement Fort Ross in U.S. to be restored 28 May 2019, 17:27
- Russian Orthodox Church to open churches in Cyprus, Sweden 28 May 2019, 17:26
- Yekaterinburg residents offer some 50 sites for church construction 27 May 2019, 18:37
- Patriarch Kirill in meeting with Mijatovic asks Council of Europe to control observance of believers' rights in Ukraine 27 May 2019, 18:35
- Churches in Russia to keep being built as long as people need it - Patriarch Kirill 27 May 2019, 18:14
- Patriarch Kirill hopes for end to discrimination against Orthodox Christians in Ukraine under new president 27 May 2019, 18:13
- Europe, Russia should turn over page of misunderstanding - Patriarch Kirill 27 May 2019, 17:18
- Patriarch Kirill tells secretary general of Council of Europe is concerned about human rights issues 27 May 2019, 14:14
- Putin, Patriarch Kirill discuss matter of plans to build Yekaterinburg church – Peskov 27 May 2019, 13:42
- Metropolitan Kirill compares situation with church construction in Yekaterinburg to tsar's family killing 27 May 2019, 12:31
- Patriarch Kirill sanctifies Church of All Saints in Strasbourg 27 May 2019, 11:27
- Hegumen arrested after stabbing, injuring monk at Trinity Lavra of St. Sergius 24 May 2019, 19:10
- Putin congratulates Patriarch Kirill on name day, suggests he loosen up work schedule 24 May 2019, 17:48